New to the Forum.... questions about Ucleulet

On our way..... leaving Calgary this AM... will be there Sunday afternoon... Look for Black F350 pulling the Trophy Pro 2052 HardTop.... of course any one eager to help/share... is welcome... (we are bringing beer!).
Booked in at Whiskey Lodge so will be moored at their dock.... hopefully we will have some reports and info to share.
Thanks again....!

RJ

I'm looking fwd to it as well, though looks like its been windy as hell and will continue windy through Friday.

Ukee

Well..... Could not get out to Hali grounds due to weather. Walked the docks and tried to hire guides with bigger boats to take us out. No one wanted to brave it.... So we left and are now in Sooke. Halibut fishing has been very good out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left Harbour.... but without any guidance on where to go and what to do.... didn't get much done at all.
Thanks

Six pages of comments and advice, tips to spend some money at the local tackle stores or 6-pack on the dock for local up to the minute advice, links to the Salmon University Barkley Sound page that has a number of trolling tacks within 5-minutes of the harbour mouth, a list of fishing spots and coordinates, details on gear and depth, etc, etc, etc and you characterize that as not having any guidance on where to go or what to do? What more could the forum members on here done?

Regardless, sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

Ukee

Six pages of comments and advice, tips to spend some money at the local tackle stores or 6-pack on the dock for local up to the minute advice, links to the Salmon University Barkley Sound page that has a number of trolling tacks within 5-minutes of the harbour mouth, a list of fishing spots and coordinates, details on gear and depth, etc, etc, etc and you characterize that as not having any guidance on where to go or what to do? What more could the forum members on here done?
100% agree. LL coordinates to no less than 21 different locations, and everything else you listed. seems like a pretty colossal waste of time and energy from so many experienced and knowledgeable posters. Very disappointing.

Regardless, sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

Ukee

Well, nobody held his hand

I've been searching the archives quite a bite lately. And I appreciate the nuggets of info I've found in past threads. At least there's that.

If anyone can tell me which rock to stand on the Ukee wild pacific trail for the best shore fishing, along with the best day and time to stand there, and what type of gear to use, I swear I'll post back photos of the catch (hopefully a 15 lb silver or one of them inshore albacore).

Man, if I had a boat in Ukee, and the knowledge shared here, I would have departed the harbor and taken my first left.

As I said... we tried our best to get out... and even the guides did not want to go... the weather reports were only getting worse and the fog so thick you couldn't see 50 feet in front of you....
We went to a tackle shop and bought a bunch more stuff.... next AM was still thick with fog.... if you have not boated out there before.... going out in that is not wise....
"Depart" the Harbour and take the the first left...????? ... go try it in that weather if you have not ever boated out there before!
We were as disappointed in ourselves as much as anything..... and as I said lots before..... we appreciated the advice...
There was not a single guide who recommended going out there..... so we followed that advice and decided to go to waters we knew....
I love the "Fishing Gods" who have decided to bash us because we simply decided to try it another trip..... why you would have to sit there and type that up... ? Beyond me.
We travel out that way several times a year and drop thousands of dollars into your economy.... real nice.
Again.... we stood on the docks literally waving hundreds of dollars to take a guide (as someone here recommended)... and not one person wanted to go.... you tell me if we should have headed out and taken a left?
Unless you were in my boat...... you have no right to comment.
We never said we had no guidance..... not once.... we said no guides would take us out because we were simply afraid of the waters.... nice way to treat a tourist...

Now I will sit back and read the upcoming comments from Fishtofino, Finaddict, and Ukee..... can't wait..... maybe we can meet next time we head out there. (and we will)

Furthermore...... we were not interested in Salmon..... Halibut was the target..... so you go hang a left an tell me how you do!

bmckenney..... you obviously don't have a boat.... so grab one and take left in the weather we had... I would love to hear about it.... or read about it in the news or obituary.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said... we tried our best to get out... and even the guides did not want to go... the weather reports were only getting worse and the fog so thick you couldn't see 50 feet in front of you....
We went to a tackle shop and bought a bunch more stuff.... next AM was still thick with fog.... if you have not boated out there before.... going out in that is not wise....
"Depart" the Harbour and take the the first left...????? ... go try it in that weather if you have not ever boated out there before!
We were as disappointed in ourselves as much as anything..... and as I said lots before..... we appreciated the advice...
There was not a single guide who recommended going out there..... so we followed that advice and decided to go to waters we knew....
I love the "Fishing Gods" who have decided to bash us because we simply decided to try it another trip..... why you would have to sit there and type that up... ? Beyond me.
We travel out that way several times a year and drop thousands of dollars into your economy.... real nice.
Again.... we stood on the docks literally waving hundreds of dollars to take a guide (as someone here recommended)... and not one person wanted to go.... you tell me if we should have headed out and taken a left?
We never said we had no guidance..... not once.... we said no guides would take us out because we were simply afraid of the waters.... nice way to treat a tourist...

Now I will sit back and read the upcoming comments from Fishtofino, Finaddict, and Ukee..... can't wait..... maybe we can meet next time we head out there. (and we will)

ronj; For one I would like to commend you on your wise decision on staying off the water. I have fished in the Bamfield/Tofino area since 1982 and can tell you. The banks are not a good place to be with storms on the horizon and fog mixed in. Inside waters are not as bad, but again without area knowledge , it has many rock piles and reefs, that love newly purchased gear. Especially if you are not familiar with the area and lack the radar and other electronics to keep you safe. The guides were giving you the red light and you listened. Too bad more of the idiots I've seen out there would take heed and listen to good advice and stay off the water.

As far as this forum goes. If you are going to stay subscribed, get used to the arm chair criticism of a few on site. Thankfully Sport Fishing B.C. does have some good members who are not judgemental and provide valuable information to those asking.

I would suggest, if you want to do the Banks for Halibut, you try it later in June/July as the water seems to lay down and the sun shows itself a little more. August is sometimes major fog.

If around mid July to Sept 1st, I'm usually out in the area. Send me a pm and we can arrange to meet. I will give you some spots and you can follow me offshore if you wish.

ronj, I didn't realize you had bad weather. I just read your post, "Left Harbour.... but without any guidance on where to go and what to do.... didn't get much done at all.
Thanks".

Didn't realize you mentioned weather in a previous post. And then I read the other threads that implied you did not use the advice that was given. As I said, the posts are good for the archives.

Anyway, about 20 years ago I went out with a Ukee guide for the first time. Weather was bad. But I had no idea how dangerous it was. When leaving the harbor, what I believe was a capsized fishing boat, was being towed back. That should have been my first clue. But I was totally naive. Although quite uncomfortable for sure. I'll never do that again. And it's one of the reasons I don't like offshore fishing, even in good weather.

Glad you took the cautious route. You can't undo what you've over done.

I stand by my words ronj. I applauded your efforts to make sure you knew all the regulations. A lot of people gave you a lot of advice, information and pointers. The first seven of the 21 coordinates you were given are inside Barkley Sound. You said you have the latest HDS-8 and inferred that you had some experience on the West Coast. Should have been more than enough to at least get out to Barkley Sound. Bummer about the weather for halibut, but that is the West Coast.

With regards to the rest of your comments , well, that is your issue.

Just adding it in here. I fish Sooke year round. As you know the water down here is different than places like that and even Renfrew sometimes... Barkley Sound and offshore in Ucluelet is entirely different water and fog conditions. Even from someone that fishes lots I find these big swells intimidating and wouldn't be comfortable without someone who knows area. I had mentioned to you that I recommended possibley coming out of Bamfield first so you could get familiar with area. If you went to Bamfield you could have headed up canal... You also could have found a lot of hiding spots.... Just something to consider...

Sounds kind of disappointing but you must have hit that huge windstorm...

You did have 7 pages of really good advice here so that is not too bad...

Just to add I totally recommend being guided for a few times or so just to get a feel for area. I know even us we had Rick from Tyee take us out last year..We all fish and have our own boats... Having someone that knew the area made it enjoyable for me on my first time....

Too bad you bailed on Sooke some good halibut fishing down here this season....

This is my reply. Yes, it was windy and rough and bad luck on your timing for your trip. You really should try it again some time

Attachments

• verns group 15.jpg
    verns group 15.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 189

Ill be right back " gotta get some popcorn ".......

But the fishing HAS been GREAT ........ really ?

Back