New to the Forum.... questions about Ucleulet

The Lings and rockfish are around all year. I have a few glory holes marked that produce nice lings almost every drop. I highly recommend jigging for them. Bounce the bottom or you will get hung up if you are fishing in good areas. The charts will be your best friend.

Hi fishchaser.... thanks for the encouraging words.... "almost every drop".
Is it safe to assume that the correct tackle can be bought at the local Pioneer Boatworks store once we get there?
And the charts as well?
Of course... how does one find the glory holes?
We are only there for three days.... so hopefully we find one.

Yes Pioneer Boatworks will have jigs for rockfish, lings and halibut. You should also stop at Pacific Net and Twine, on Hwy 4a btwn Parksvilles and Coombs, on your way over - place has everything. There is a second tackle store in Ukee called Captain Hooks, they also make great espresso for Americanos and such. Finally the local Co-op grocery store also has a pretty good tackle selection, though prices ain't cheap.

Finding your own glory holes starts with studying your charts. Mark good looking reefs then go try them. If you can't find and catch some rockfish and lings in Barkley Sound then you should seriously think about quitting fishing and taking up golf.

Ukee

Geez..... thanks UkeeDreamin..... I think... LOL
Just want to make our trip to Ukee a good one..... thats all.

I use Jigs (Point Wilson Darts) for everything except Salmon and Halibut. Other less expensive jigs will also work just make sure the hooks are good. I like using White, Green / Yellow and Green / Nickel. There are lots of places both inside Barkley Sound and off shore. Depth is not as important as large rocky areas.

Thanks fishchaser!
Do we just drift around the ledges and rock piles?
Keep a kicker running and try sit still?
Thanks

I recommend keeping a motor running until you are familiar with the area you are fishing, as previously noted this area is the grave yard of the pacific. This being said I do not try to sit still and use the tides and currents to drift over the peaks and valleys. Just like with trolling covering more water increases your chances. Lings are territorial bouncing your jig as you drift slowly by them will get you far more strikes. I use 6 ounce jigs as they are perfect for most tidal and current conditions unless you are going very deep. I highly recommend having Charts 3646 (Barkley Sound) and 3602 (Approaches to Juan De Fuca Straight) with you to aid in determining where to find the rocky areas. I am not sure if the local tackle store carry these charts however you can order them from Map Town, the link is below. When are you going to be in Ucluelet? We will be there June 26th thru the end of July and would be happy to show you on the charts where the good areas are.

http://www.maptown.com/cgi-bin/mt/store.cgi?overlord=Details&store_id=6733

Hi Fishchaser...
We are going for hopefully two trips..
First one is June 7th for three days... then right at the end of June again.
I have the full GPS and map card in my lowrance.... do you feel I still should go get those maps?
Thanks

I am a true believer in safety, even though I have two completely separate GPS systems on board I always carry local charts just in case of GPS / Electrical issues. I have had only one systems failure in the past 15 years and glad I had the charts as back up. If you are fishing out on the banks charts are nice to have if you loose your system, the entrance to Ucluelet can be deadly if you aren’t sure of your exact location. Look me up when you get there at the end of June. I will be moored at Island West Resort, at the end of the main float (Where the fish cleaning facility is located). We will be the ones in the Black and white 35' Cruiser.

Just downloading that app now.... looks like a great piece of back up for sure.... thanks for the tip on that one!

RJ, I've been stalking your post - great info here. I'm another Albertan headed out that way as well hopefully on the last week of June/first week of July for my yearly fishing trip. I've got Salmon, Lingcod, and Rockies quite successfully but this year my goal is for a halli as well... need to make use of the new rod I bought and my Yeti cooler for bringing it home :) The only advice I can give is just to watch the boarders around the National park and don't get yourself caught inside them. We come out from the Alma Russel islands and the park is right there, so the boundary is always something I think about.

Good luck with it! The area is definitely worth the drive!

OK... thanks..... what happens if you get in the borders.... as in illegal fishing or sinking a boat?
Only a few days away before we leave... can't wait.

I knew they existed... was wondering if there was something else I was not aware off.
I have the regs all printed off....
Thanks

I knew they existed... was wondering if there was something else I was not aware off.
I have the regs all printed off....
Thanks
Ronj - Its refreshing to see a "newbie" doing as much research on the regs as you have. Too often the questions at the dock from some West Coast visitors can make your skin crawl....

"Is this a Chinook or a coho?" while holding up a chum salmon
"Is this a hatchery or wild fish?" while hold up a dead wild coho
"How many of these are you allowed?" while cleaning the 5th wild coho

LOL... Thanks fin addict.... certainly not a "newbie" to the sport... just the area.
I know each area have different regs and certainly just want to follow the rules.
How about.... "what do you mean this is a female crab?"
Or ... "well... it was bleeding anyways... would have died"
Then there is the ... "you need a license for this?"
LOL

Back