New to the Forum.... questions about Ucleulet

The best GPS in the world can't replace having radar when you are out in the fog.
Stosh

The best GPS in the world can't replace having radar when you are out in the fog.
Stosh

Like today.....visibility is 200 ft at the best :)

It's when i can fish my best hali holes

Getting all prepped for our trip!!! June 6th!
I have the newest Lowrance HDS8....... been shopping for the radar add on.... does everyone think its is mandatory to have?
The GPS is very accurate.....
Booked in at Whiskey Lodge for this trip.... looking forward to the Ukee experience

GPS can be as accurate as you want but won't show you a log boom being towed in fog or a freighter about to run you over. I remember ripping around the banks in the fog with no radar when I was 16 years old and shake my head at my stupidity.

Well said Kelly, over the years and a few "learning opportunities" I have invested in Radar, 2 GPS chart plotters and AIS. Might seem like over-kill, but I asked myself how much my life was worth and all those electronics seems like cheap insurance.

OK..... thanks for the feedback...... with Lowrance.... 3G or 4G ... tough to find the difference.... and where is the best place to buy?

Pretty good pricing at gpscity.ca and you only pay GST. Shipping isnt very fast though.

Still baffled by Tapatalk

Largest eel grass flats in the world I think. Watch the locals run out the channel and follow them. I was not paying attention a few years ago and drifted in to the flats, had to clear the kicker a bunch of times to get out. Run a jet drive and the Intake plugged.

Good advice..... we will do that. Picked up some Tomic plugs and large white jigs yesterday..... any other suggestions?

Also a floating measuring stick so you can measure and release halibut that are over the slot limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not know if minus tide. But was way off track from the channel. Was trying to cut across I think. ;)

Picked up some Tomic plugs....
When we run these, do they hook up behind a flasher or just run by them selves?

Two weeks and we arrive!
Pretty excited..... hopefully the Halibut hunt will be successful.
Booked in at the Whiskey Lodge and will be parked at that dock....
Any final advice?
Thanks all!

We are also wondering if we will be able to get into some nice Lingers and Rock Fish? Is that something that we don't have to go offshore for?

We are also wondering if we will be able to get into some nice Lingers and Rock Fish? Is that something that we don't have to go offshore for?

Take a look at your charts for Barkley Sound and you tell us!! LOL! Inside the Broken Group Islands is a huge RCA but outside of that they don't call the area the graveyard of the pacific for nothing. No shortage of rock reefs throughout the Sound and I've been told rockfish and lings might like that type of habitat ….

Cheers and make sure to post some reports!

Ukee

OK..... so what your saying is..... YES!
Excellent. I guess my questions was more.... Are they around in June... again... I have only been fishing Sooke for the last couple years. And coming from Calgary to do so....
We have caught large quantities of Salmon... really after some white meat this trip.
I assume this is done by jigging?
Thanks

Back