New to offshore fishing, looking for a boat.

Hotwire

So, Im freshly posted to Esquimalt, I live out in Sooke, and I'm looking for a small boat that my family can use as a run about, and do some fishing and crabbing from. My intentions are to fish in the Sooke Basin, and along the coast. I'm really torn between boats. There are so many styles, and in twice as many price ranges. It really blows me away how massive the price ranges are for all the boats. We would like to keep the price under $15,000... but as low as possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Keep in touch with me over the next month or two.
Meanwhile look up Arima, 16 foot Sea Chaser.
Smallish maybe, but roomy, safe, and in v.g. condition.
Doug

I would 2nd the Arima Sea Chaser recommendation, I bought a used one this spring, excellent boat for Sooke. Excellent for 2-3 on the boat, 4 works as well.

Welcome to Sooke.

Sooke basin will be open for catch and release only from now till October 15. Crabbing and prawns only, for most part

Looking at selling our 1994 Campion Explorer 188, fresh water use, little 4 cylinder inboard with heat exchanger, 2006 Yamaha 8hp high thrust kicker, Cannon downriggers, Garmin sounder with GPS, etc.. If interested, PM me. Thanks

Sooke is not in any way offshore the idea is laughable.

Also Canadians don't use the term p*l* we say rod.

Reading again, I think he used the term "offshore fishing" as in fishing from a boat in the ocean, rather than casting from shore? For most people here "offshore fishing" means fishing a few miles out in the Pacific, in big rolling swells, out of sight of any landmass.

Looking at selling our 1994 Campion Explorer 188, fresh water use, little 4 cylinder inboard with heat exchanger, 2006 Yamaha 8hp high thrust kicker, Cannon downriggers, Garmin sounder with GPS, etc.. If interested, PM me. Thanks

Very rare to see a fresh water boat rigged up for salt water fishing with a kicker, downriggers, GPS etc.

Unless your in the okanagan I'm sure this boat was rigged for the ocean.

The first boat linked is way more boat then you need for your stated purpose but looks like a sweet deal on paper. Check it over really good if your leaning that way and expect a high operating cost compared to the smaller runabouts linked after it.

Sorry, yes. Lets get some lingo straight here. lol, Im used to big lake, not BIG POND like this area. Now, I will more then likly go out with a guide for a trip or two just to get my barrings about the area, as well as the other good to knows. Please to hit me too hard, Us Ontario, AKA Center of the Universe, fisherman like to use Pole, or Rod, either or is good for me. lol. What ever floats yer boat.

I will be selling my Campion 542 soon, it's 18.5 ft. I want to get something bigger i can sleep on and cook. I live in the Westshore, PM me if you want to take a look.

Very rare to see a fresh water boat rigged up for salt water fishing with a kicker, downriggers, GPS etc.

Unless your in the okanagan I'm sure this boat was rigged for the ocean.

The first boat linked is way more boat then you need for your stated purpose but looks like a sweet deal on paper. Check it over really good if your leaning that way and expect a high operating cost compared to the smaller runabouts linked after it.

No actually GDW, boat is rigged that way for fishing out here in the Kootenays, didn't realize you just needed that type of gear for the chuck, anyway, I have had it on the coast a half dozen times, in Nootka and Winter Harbour, and it did just fine.

Tough to go wrong with a Campion 542 for what you're wanting to use it for. I had one and it was great for family skiing and fishing in relatively protected waters. I wasn't comfortable going "offshore" in it and the cuddy wasn't usable for anything other than storage, but for family day use and fishing, the boat was great.

Back