New Super Knot

TheBigGuy

I love trying to come up with new knots. I know a lot of guys can't be bothered learning new knots because the ones they already know do the job. I'm one of those guys that's always trying to learn and tie a better stronger knot. Most new knots that are invented are usually just a variation of an already well known knot, or maybe a combination of two similar knots. I have been trying to invent my own unique knot that is not simply a copy of others inventions. That alone is no big deal because anyone can devise a passable knot. My challenge was to invent a new knot that was my own unique creation and that was stronger than anything else I could find out there already.

Well I think I've accomplished that. The knot I've come up with breaks all the other top knots consistently.

I tested my knot against everyone's favorite knot the Palomar and the Palomar broke every time. In almost every test on a freshly tied knot my knot broke off all the best single line knots. I tested it against the Joe Miller knot, San Diego Jam Knot, Double San Diego Jam knot, The Irwin Knot, Trilene, Improved Trilene, Reverse Trilene and probably others I don't remember. It rarely if ever broke and when it did it was after the 4th or 5th back to back break off tests against the other knots. I never once bothered to retie a fresh knot after each break off competition. The knot was strong enough to still break off all the other best knots after multiple break off competitions successively.

Is the knot for everybody, definitely not. It is a bit of handful to tie but after only one day of practicing and testing the knot I can tie it fairly quickly and easily.

Like the Palomar, Trilene, Joe Miller and other great high strength knots it has two wraps around the hook eye for added strength. I tested it on 20 pound Ande line for quite some time. With the 20 pound Ande I found no slippage in the knot no matter how hard it was strained. In twenty pound test Ande I found 3 twists on the inner knot and six turns on the outer knots the perfect ratio.

I then started testing it with 30 pound Suffix line. The Suffix line has a very slick surface and I was coating it in lipsyl as well when cinching it down. I started to experience some slippage issues with the toughest of the other knots in break off competitions. So, I increased the ratio to 4 inner twists, to 8 outer turns and there was no further slippage against any of the other knots.

This is a very good symmetrical looking knot with 2 wraps around the eye of the hook or swivel and 6 or 8 tightly spiraled wraps up the mainline with the tag end coming out the center at the top of the knot.

If tied properly the spiral coils up the main line all snap neatly into place when the knot is tightened down. I know this knot may appear daunting to tie at first but it is actually easier to tie than some of the high test deep sea fishing knots that it broke off consistently.

I will post a video of tying the knot with the best instructions I can manage to on camera. It is only shot on an Android phone by my son so it is far from pro quality resolution. I will try to post tying diagrams if I am able to sketch something together.

I simply find trying to invent a new Super Knot great fun. If anyone else finds it useful then I will be very happy to have added another high strength knot to guys repotoire.

The photo shows the finished knot in 20lb Ande line with 6 turns (top), and 30lb Suffix with 8 turns (bottom)

Last edited:
Sorry it took the video so long to upload to YouTube.

Just thought I'd add a little clarification to the video. The only part that I think guys will have difficulty seeing clearly is exactly where the line goes at the double loop end by the swivel. You are not simply placing the line in the gap/oval opening of the loop. On the side of the loop closest to you it will have 2 strands of line forming the loop on that side running parallel to each other. The tag end must go between the 2 lines running side by side that are forming separate loops. You are not simply putting the tag end through the center of the loop near the swivel.

I hope with those instructions and the video you can master this knot with a little practice.

I generally use a San Diego Jam knot in most cases when tying as its a 95% rated knot. This knot broke the SDJK every time no problem. When I tested it against the Double San Diego Jam knot I was not expecting it to be able to break it. To my shock it broke it almost every time. The only times it didn't I had slippage issues with only the 3x6 ratio. Once I used the turns to 4x8 it was back to breaking the DSDJK every time. The DSDJK is one of the strongest knots out there as it is a fully doubled line knot and it usually tests the highest break strength on any professional knot testing equipment.

I was also surprised that this knot broke the Irwin Knot. That knot is almost a full doubled line knot, and it is one of the strongest knots that is not fully doubled.

It may take you a bit of practice to figure out how to get this knot perfect, but once you do I think you will love it. It is just a sexy looking knot (if it's possible for such a thing), The knot is perfectly symmetrical and its just a thing of beauty when you get it down.

To be perfectly honest I was shocked when this knot tested out so high. I tried more versions than I could count with the single loop down the middle of a doubled eye wrap and they all cinched down perfectly, (and looked good), but they all broke at an extremely low stress point. I had basically given up on that design a long time ago because it seemed to create a pinch point that always broke very easily. The problem with most other designs with twin loops around the eyes is they don't cinch down easily (or consistently) and often turn into a big mess. I got so tired of all the other doubled eye knot versions not cinching up well that I went back to the single loop design yesterday.

I thought well I've tried everything else I wonder what will happen if I spiral the line around the loops by twisting it rather than with wraps. Low and behold this finally resulted in a version that would cinch down properly without creating a pinch point. Believe me this was no one time fluke it took hundreds of different trials to come up with this knot. I burned through a whole spool of Ande tying knots before I hit on this one.

I sincerely hope some guys try and master this knot. It is a beauty.

Last edited:
This site may interest you. There is a area on new knots in the forum section. Your looks pretty good

http://www.igkt.net/.

Thank you for posting that link, I had been to that site before, but I had forgotten about it. I may post this knot on some of the American big game fishing sites. This knot may not interest Salmon anglers very much, but for many other species maximum strength is the prime requirement for their knots. This knot is actually not that complicated for the strength it produces. Ever seen the knots they use for billfishing, compared to a Bimini Twist this knot is childs play.

I could easily tie this knot on the boat, as it's not that time consuming once you've done it enough times. I would for sure use it to tie on bottom jigging lures. With jigs averaging $12 to over $20 per jig these days I'd definitely spend the extra time to tie the strongest knot possible. Bottom breakoffs are very frustrating, and your best producing jigs can not easily be replaced if on vacation sometimes.

At home I would definitely pre-tie gear with this knot. It is just such a good looking knot that it would give me confidence in any gear I threw in the water with it.

Back