New PST must mean limiting sport licenses?

twinwinds

Kerry Coast
New PST must mean limiting sport licenses?
Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:29AM

Regarding the new PST chapter on Chinook, I can't help wondering how this reduction is going to achieved?

According to the Department's selective (13% of fishermen surveyed)catch surveys of the recreational fishery, sporties caught more than a third of the Chinook that were harvested on the WCVI, that is, over 50,000. The renewed treaty calls for a 30% reduction of Chinook harvest in that area.
The new Sportsfishing Guide is out and available, and I don't see anything about a lottery system to limit the number of salmon retention stamps, or "salmon conservation stamps," as the license to retain salmon is ironically named.

In 2008, the Department sold almost 200,000 salmon stamps to sports fishers. The annual limit on those stamps is still 40 Chinook (+ 40 Coho, sockeye, etc), unless somewhere an impossible to find change has been made. With a little factoring on how many of the licenses they sold were annual, daily, weekly, etc, it would appear that the recreational fishery province wide had an informal allocation of about 5 million Chinook last year.

Until the SFAB come through on its promise (made last year in a vision agreement with DFO) to monitor sports fishermen's catch, and a realistic allocation is provided to the sports fishery, and the annual limit per license is reduced dramatically, and the number of salmon stamps is restricted, and these steps are combined with some kind of must-return license showing catch information is made mandatory, I wonder how this reduction is to be accomplished? Or to be shown to be accomplished?

While some limits were in place for various Chinook aggregates last year, phonecalls to Conservation and Protection agencies in the relevant areas proved that the majority of such offices were themselves unaware of any changes to recreational opportunities. At the time of the closures to sports fishers, Fishing charters in the relevant areas posted on their online blogs what great success they were having catching Chinook "about twenty feet from the Q&A line," which, upon pinpointing the reported location of their successes, means the no-fish retention boundary.

By way of an interesting comparison, it would appear that the aboriginal Food Social and Ceremonial fishery's share of WCVI Chinook was less than 3%. In a year when twelve meetings were held by DFO to consult with First Nations as to how to share out what would certainly be an inadequate number of sockeye for everyone's FSC needs to be met, and sockeye returns proved to be inadequate, I would say this is an interesting exception to the idea that aboriginal people have a priority right to fish for food, social and ceremonial purposes.

Aboriginal fishers did not meet their allocation, about 3%, while commercial and recreational fisheries appear to have exceeded theirs. And that's without the catch information from that other 87% of recreational fishermen.

The Chinook returns in the Fraser are down to 1% of their brood years in some cases, and the vast majority are not far behind. We must remember that the Washington and Oregon coastlines were closed to fishing for Chinook last year, while coastal fisheries in BC caught over a quarter million.

The idea to prioritize recreational access to Chinook and Coho was a political one, made in the 90's by Kevin Anderson. If the Department continues with this policy, perhaps they will prioritize their catch monitoring to match?

Pacific Salmon Treaty Renewal — , Wed Jan 14 7:21AM
Pacific Salmon Treaty Renewal January 2009 The Pacific Salmon Treaty (PST) was signed by Canada and the United States (U.S.) in 1985 and provides the framework through which the two countries work... more
New PST must mean limiting sport licenses? — Kerry Coast, Thu Jan 15 10:29AM

I wont take the time to put this commercial out of his misery, except to remind him that the Natives and recreational fishermen have PRIORITY access to chinooks and coho.

Where are the cuts coming from?? Where it has been stated-- from the commercial trollers who will be compensated with Amrican cash.

Any of you rapers and pillagers of the resource ever take 40 chinook a year??? No? Me either-- not even close.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Any of you rapers and pillagers of the resource ever take 40 chinook a year???

Only when I was guiding, then it was like 40 every two weeks.

Take only what you need.

There is a commercial fishery open right now up in the Charlottes. Some of my customers in the US are buying troll caught chinooks for $7.00/lb USD. So not sure where all this talk of cuts is coming from when they open up a chinook fishery in January.

quote:There is a commercial fishery open right now up in the Charlottes. Some of my customers in the US are buying troll caught chinooks for $7.00/lb USD. So not sure where all this talk of cuts is coming from when they open up a chinook fishery in January.

FYI, Cuts are to the WCVI commercial troll fleet where the renewed PST calls for a 30% catch reduction. That's separate from the NC commercial troll fleet and Gulf troll fleet.

Chinooks are also open for trollers in Alaska all winter. The price to your customers for Canadian chinooks is a deal compared to fish from there, but still quite a bit lower that last year. http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/region1/finfish/salmon/troll/trolinfo.php

Back