New member looking for some advice

F

Fishing Maniac

I'm planning a fishing trip for this fall and was hoping there might be some diehard saltwater anglers on here that might be willing to point me in the right direction. I would like to trailer my boat up to Vancouver Island this fall from Vancouver WA to target chinook and coho this fall. I would like to be able to either keep my boat at a marina or at a floating lodge if possible but would also consider camping if available. I'm looking for the least cost option for getting up there and low cost accomadations. My boat will be a 20 foot inboard sled. The areas I have researched are Port Hardy, Nootka Sound, Quatsino sound, and Barkley Sound. They all sound like great fishing areas but was hoping to get everyone's opinion on which area they think is the best and why? Any additional info like peak times to go(particularly for large chinooks)would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone needs any info on any of the WA or OR fisheries I would be more than happy to help you out. OK to e-mail me directly if you prefer. Thanks in advance for your help.

I didn't think these were zipperlip spots but apparently I was wrong....I guess I will have to go up and explore for myself. Thanks anyway.

Use the search tab on the upper left corner and enter each of the areas you have been researching. Add "best time" to each search and I am sure you will find the info you want. Since most of the runs come down the outer coast of Van Isle the northend sites are usually two or three weeks ahead. That being said Winter Harbour is usually really good the middle of June. Port Hardy has always been good for Halis in mid May.
If you are thinking of Port Hardy for salmon later in the summer can be good and halfway just above Campbell River is "Browns Bay" search info on it as well.

Well I know you've heard of Sooke! I also can't tell you where to stay
($real estate market), even though I'm 4th generation here. You can't beat the fishin here in the early fall. Pretty short hop to Cheanuh from the Coho Ferry in Victoria/Port Angeles that is still open so far![xx(]

I'd recommend Tofino (Clayoquot Sound) for fall coho fishing. Some years, springs move through there into late september. Most chinooks are done by the end of september everywhere on the island. But nothing beats the excitement of fishing coho with flies on the surface at that time of year. Cast or bucktail them, you'll have a hoot if the fish are around.

Back