New Kicker Options

Looks like I am holding off with a looming shutdown again. Plan too buy both motors same time once pod is on. It will be remote model this time around.

Thanks for everyone's input...

Looks like I am holding off with a looming shutdown again. Plan too buy both motors same time once pod is on. It will be remote model this time around.

Thanks for everyone's input...

Just an update.... pods off for now. I fixed my motor and will use it for winter. Will upgrade springtime.

Going to keep the boat as is. The pandemic really threw plans off, and I want to be safe with $$. Will upgrade my electronic/radar and get a rebuilt block for the inboard if I need for next year. Not really a wise investment for bigger boat right now. With upcoming fishing restrictions like last year or worse think I will just keep what I have.

Then when time is right look for what I want.

Might be looking at swapping kicker out. Just looking at honest opinions.

Running a Yamaha T8 so will likely get a 9.9hp.

I can't say I have been overly impressed with yamaha. It is reliable but lots of stupid things break on it.

Was thinking mercury or Suzuki as alternatives since there are very good deals right now.

I heard of good Tohatsu deals right now through Bill Howich up in CR and also really good prices through Ajacs in Nanaimo.
Haven't verified either one personally, but I have heard prior to this that Ajac's prices are hard to beat.

Ran 9.9 yamis on the rigs had, they seemed bullet proof other than the odd plugged jet which the mechanic used air blew out and popped back in. It's nice they are so light if weight on a corner isn't a big issue I've heard good stuff about the larger highthrust fuel injected yamis.

So just follow up. After considering all options I decided to keep the boat and not bother podding. In the end I was painfully suprised of how much this upgrade to a pod would cost, and honestly on this boat it isn't worth it. I am going wait and sell it and do large upgrade when time is right down the road.

The kicker is all fixed now, so I will hold off on the new one for a bit.

I decided this year to invest heavily in new electronics/radar, and will replace my inboard with a rebuild if it needs it. Thanks for everyone's input on here.

How painfully surprised? Im curious to see how far off I am with my pod budget...I was figuring $10,000 plus power where I don't have to turn a bolt myself haha

How painfully surprised? Im curious to see how far off I am with my pod budget...I was figuring $10,000 plus power where I don't have to turn a bolt myself haha

Was way more that. More than 15k! Your at least 3K on just the pod. Once you add up all the rigging etc. you better love your boat. I would rather take that money sell mine, and upgrade to something that is already done.

For now keeping what I have.

Was way more that. More than 15k! Your at least 3K on just the pod. Once you add up all the rigging etc. you better love your boat. I would rather take that money sell mine, and upgrade to something that is already done.

Cool, as for rigging I was keeping that in the lump for the engines so I'm in the ballpark still. I figure anything I can recoup from the vp 320 gxi / dp is gravy. Thanks!

I’ve got a Sea Sport 22 with the Volvo penta duo prop and have been considering podding... I was bugeting $5k for a nice new pod and another $5k for install and transome repairs. I figure a new 250hp is around $30k. I added another $5k (caus you know your going to have some issues and extras) for a total of $45k to pod. I believe a new 300hp volvo penta with new dual prop is about $35k installed... so I’m assuming an extra $10k for a podded system over a new Volvo penta.. I did order a new merc 15pro kicker and am waiting over a month for it to arrive! The merc pro was the only 15hp kicker that was efi, hydraulic lift and the gear paddle is at the end of the tiller arm (plus a 12amp alternator and a oil filter)

I’ve got a Sea Sport 22 with the Volvo penta duo prop and have been considering podding... I was bugeting $5k for a nice new pod and another $5k for install and transome repairs. I figure a new 250hp is around $30k. I added another $5k (caus you know your going to have some issues and extras) for a total of $45k to pod. I believe a new 300hp volvo penta with new dual prop is about $35k installed... so I’m assuming an extra $10k for a podded system over a new Volvo penta.. I did order a new merc 15pro kicker and am waiting over a month for it to arrive! The merc pro was the only 15hp kicker that was efi, hydraulic lift and the gear paddle is at the end of the tiller arm (plus a 12amp alternator and a oil filter)

A boat like that is worth it. I had thought of going up to a 22 and 24 boat. With restrictions what they are I need a boat that is cheap tow and gives me access to the areas I want to go too on island. If I want to push going offshore it will just be guided trips etc. If this was 10 years ago I may have made a different decision.

Save yourself the $45K, but instead sell your Seasport i/o and buy a factory podded one like this https://www.islandsmarinecenter.com...ortsman-2200-lopez-island-washington-7678376/ Not sure which side of the border, but if you are in US, your seasport would likely get $35-$45K as is, and the upgrade shown saves you big bucks. good luck. DAJ

Save yourself the $45K, but instead sell your Seasport i/o and buy a factory podded one like this https://www.islandsmarinecenter.com...ortsman-2200-lopez-island-washington-7678376/ Not sure which side of the border, but if you are in US, your seasport would likely get $35-$45K as is, and the upgrade shown saves you big bucks. good luck. DAJ
Appreciate the advice (I’ve often thought the same) but the cost of a new sea sport in Canada fully rigged is probably north of $150K. I would only be into my current boat for approx $100k with all the extra equipment and new power.. either way, it’s expensive!!

Your going to end up in between 45-55 for a podded boat done properly with new power trust me everything adds up and fast however it is totally worth it

Your going to end up in between 45-55 for a podded boat done properly with new power trust me everything adds up and fast however it is totally worth it

I agree vs north of $40,000 for the latest VP package including drive? Way better value with a proper pod and no more 8" hole below the waterline!

I agree vs north of $40,000 for the latest VP package including drive? Way better value with a proper pod and no more 8" hole below the waterline!
I’m sure you can do it cheap your gonna end up getting what you pay for chances are if your podding a boat it’s going to be older so chances are high if you want it done right you may as well rewire it while your in there. New gauges = new dash getting a new dash may as well upgrade electronics it’s a very slippery slope
It is essentially a whole new boat when done as far as ride and space go

I’m sure you can do it cheap your gonna end up getting what you pay for chances are if your podding a boat it’s going to be older so chances are high if you want it done right you may as well rewire it while your in there. New gauges = new dash getting a new dash may as well upgrade electronics it’s a very slippery slope
It is essentially a whole new boat when done as far as ride and space go

Agreed 100% for me, I would not go with any half assed effort that might fail at the worst time. I'm saving my pennies for the full monty haha

Power tilt is one of those options you don't 'need' but you wonder why you waited so long once you get it.
YES....you will never go back. Power tilt all the way. Just bought my second Suzuki 20 hp kicker, great engine. Way better than the Yami. I still have the 9.9 Yami HT power tilt - sitting in the shop at Breakers getting a tune up so I can sell it - it was just too gutless for my boat and the boss is on my case to get it sold instead of gathering dust.

Back