New Kicker Options

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
Might be looking at swapping kicker out. Just looking at honest opinions.

Running a Yamaha T8 so will likely get a 9.9hp.

I can't say I have been overly impressed with yamaha. It is reliable but lots of stupid things break on it.

Was thinking mercury or Suzuki as alternatives since there are very good deals right now.

SG Power
2020 Suzuki DF9.9BTX
On Sale $3,499.00 Was $4,440.00

suzuki.png

Installed a Suzuki DF9.9 last spring that came with 6-yr warranty. ~60hrs already and I’m super happy with it. Glad I didn’t fall for another Merc again.

tohatsu, they are the major manufacturer for anything under 50 hp.. a lil cheaper than the north american branding. i have run a 20hp, for 6 years, it most likely has 3500 plus hours and has had zero issues.

have 200+ hours on the Suzuki 9.9 efi, installed last year. Very happy with the motor - the Yamaha T8 I had previously was nothing but a pain!
Tohatsu also offer a 9.9 with EFI and with a bigger alternator than Suzuki.
the Merc 9.9 is a rebadged carbed Tohatsu from a previous generation.

Last edited:
I am leaning on Suzuki as well this time around,. I am sort of at crossroads with my boat. May jump in with 150hp OB and finance a pod so want the motors to be the same if go that route.

Yamaha has been reliable it just the broken tilt, carb issues, and **** breaking off it. Just not that much of a fan anymore.

Last edited:
tohatsu EFI. Had the 9.9 non EFI for 13 years - only trouble was the carb. Now with EFI, problem solved. Great engine, right price.

Looked at Tohatsu when deciding last year. Winning ticket for me was high thrust and 6 yr warranty for Suzuki. I heard for the new year Tohatsu kickers, HT 4-blade props only come with the power tilt models. Tohatsu is a great kicker in that hp range nonetheless .

Last edited:
I think of a kicker primarily for trolling, but also as a "get home" option if my main goes out. If you have a heavy boat in a tide, the T8 or T9.9 might not be a viable if you are offshore or in a current, so you might consider the new Yamaha T25 high thrust. The old T25 was 200+ lbs, and the new one is slightly heavier than a T9.9. Sadly but to be expected, this new T25 comes with more $$$$$. I put one on my Seasport whose main is an F250 and can go 8 mph against the current with the T25, which in my book is an acceptable tradeoff for a get home option vs. having big twins, ie. twin 150's or 200's. it also trolls down quite nice.

Like Gong Show said, you don't need power tilt until you've had it, then you gotta have it.
Any of the big Brands will be good motors. Most important is purchasing from someone you trust and like to deal with.
I am a fan of Sherwood Marine based on my recent repower and other services over the last couple of years. But you may have someone closer to you that you like as you are further North.
Get separate controls an no tiller. For a kicker that is the way to go and less issues to deal with. (not sure if that is possible with your inboard)
Maybe you need new boat all together SV. May be cheaper in long run if you are going to pod and repower both motors.

Last edited:
Back