New JIGGING ROD

jeffywestcoast

looking for some advice on a good jigging rod n reel combo for bottom fishing in saltwater ..Don't really want a spinning type reel...and am not looking to spend 500 bucks...

A young fellow at tyee marine demonstrated a trevela rod to me last year by laying on the ground while holding onto the tip and having me lift hiim up; he weighed about 150 or so. I was not capable of lifting him completley off the ground but managed to get all but his feet up. The rod crackled a bit, but that was all. I bought one and teamed it up with a penn squall level wind filled with 100lb braid. It seems like it is about to break, it bends so much, with a fish on, but has been great for me.

Jeffy, if you are fishing mostly inside waters (nanaimo) such as myself, I would go with the ugly stik tiger lite. It is very similar to the shimano trevela except it is $60 rather than $160. Also I wanted to team it up with something nice and light for jigging ling cod etc (not a ton of halibut in our waters) so I chose an Avet MX single speed...it isnt the smallest Avet, but the next size up. http://www.avetreels.net/MX_SERIES_REELS.html.

The combo will run you around $260 for the rod and reel. The rod and reel are super light and you can jig all day with it. It can handle a halibut if need be, but is better suited for jigging Ling's etc. I was going to go for a cheaper reel but the avet's will last forever and are incredibly well made, and were the lightest I could find.

Avet SX and MX are basically the same reel - 9lbs strike drag/14lbs full drag, difference being the SX holds 350yds 65lb braid vs MX has larger capacity holding 350yds 100lb braid. 100lb is overkill for our fisheries other than a dedicated halibut rod. If it's a jigging setup - you want your set up as light as possible, everything else being equal, and the SX is 4-5 ounces lighter than the MX. I've caught Chinook to 28 lbs, Lings to 20 and one halibut pushing 100lbs jigging with my Avet SX and handled them all with no problems. The Avet SX and MX are also both popular tuna reels …. in case Sculpin takes you WAY off the west coast after long fins!!!

Ukee

For bottomfishing on ECVI, for reels I just use the Daiwa M1+........with 30 to 80Lb tuffline and a sixfoot topshot of 20 or 25lb Maxima.

I've used that reel for years .....never let me down.

I've never caught a Hali on that rig though yet. But I've caught every other bottomfish fish ECVI with it.....including big Lings.

My wife uses the same reel with a Black Widow 9ft rod.....(actually that's a spinning rod.........but it works great for her......was a 59 dollar rod)

I used a Wolf 9ft rod for 10 years ( I broke it last year......it was my fault ).....originally paid 29 bucks for it at C/tire........best jigging rod I ever owned.

I don't like too soft a tip on rod for jigging......and I like to be in at least 9ft range....then again "boat rods" are usually way too stiff and clumsy.

Make sure you get rod with ceramic eyelets.......the cheapo metal eyelets will eat your tuffline up.

You don't need to get too fancy for a jigging rod...........

The important thing about the reel is to keep it well-lubed so it freefalls easily when you let the lure down.

Jeffy, if you are fishing mostly inside waters (nanaimo) such as myself, I would go with the ugly stik tiger lite. It is very similar to the shimano trevela except it is $60 rather than $160. Also I wanted to team it up with something nice and light for jigging ling cod etc (not a ton of halibut in our waters) so I chose an Avet MX single speed...it isnt the smallest Avet, but the next size up. http://www.avetreels.net/MX_SERIES_REELS.html.

The combo will run you around $260 for the rod and reel. The rod and reel are super light and you can jig all day with it. It can handle a halibut if need be, but is better suited for jigging Ling's etc. I was going to go for a cheaper reel but the avet's will last forever and are incredibly well made, and were the lightest I could find.
+1 on the Ugly Stick Tiger rods. I use them both for jigging and for tuna. Solid rods and inexpensive.

Avet SX and MX are basically the same reel - 9lbs strike drag/14lbs full drag, difference being the SX holds 350yds 65lb braid vs MX has larger capacity holding 350yds 100lb braid. 100lb is overkill for our fisheries other than a dedicated halibut rod. If it's a jigging setup - you want your set up as light as possible, everything else being equal, and the SX is 4-5 ounces lighter than the MX. I've caught Chinook to 28 lbs, Lings to 20 and one halibut pushing 100lbs jigging with my Avet SX and handled them all with no problems. The Avet SX and MX are also both popular tuna reels …. in case Sculpin takes you WAY off the west coast after long fins!!!

Ukee

Yeah I went with the MX just for the line capacity....

Thanks everyone for the input, was thinking of a level wind for a jigging reel, they sure are expensive but I nice one might be worth it hey ?. the avet looks like a quality product for sure..

I've tried level-winds a lot of times for jigging.

Got several in the basement.

I have tried and tried to like them for jigging.......but it never happened.

Just don't like that slipping clutch system.

If I was going Hali fishing I might give them a shot again............

Personally I just don't like those kind of reels.......not for trolling or jigging or anything.

A couple of years ago, I bought a "Charter Special" for downrigging purposes when I took inexperienced persons fishing ( my grand daughters), they caught their first salmon on it. Imho it was an excellent choice, nobody got their knuckles busted, they were able to keep constant pressure on the fish, just by winding in and every fish we hooked we got to the boat. We used level winds for bottom fish, Penns this time, lots of grandpa, grandpa, its really pulling, with no smacked fingers etc. I used to fish only with single action reels, but I can see the advantages of multipliers, and now use both.

I use Penn 320gti level winds on the tiger ugly sticks. When I buy them on sale, the whole package (spooled with 65 lb power pro) was around $145 US. The problem with the level winds though is that the pawl and/or worm gear will fail if they are not kept well lubricated or if you put way too much pressure on them. However the Penn reels are super easy to repair and parts are readily available. I keep spare parts on board. Other than the worm/pawl, the Penn reels are pretty solid and if you wish, you can trick them out with better drag washers

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
burnsy22 is on the mark!
I have 5 Avet MXL's,great reel for the price.salmon,tuna,hally..no problem! I put 2 on Tiger lites with the big trigger,very light and comfortable.
I set my new reels @ 9lb for strike and 17lb max(with drag scale) for bottom fish & tuna,you just lose your smooth free spool with the drag so high.
avet.jpg

My gawd.. that's exactly the setup I was thinking. with the Avet/Uglystick combo...not sure if that is the same reel I was looking at, how much? you have 6 of those ? wow don't want your tackle bill ...

In the long run I think you'd like a lever drag far better than a level-wind in the salt, Jeffy. If you're worried about line build up without the level-wind to spread out the line lay for you, both the Avet SX and MX come in a narrow spool version, which don't give up too much line capacity (I think the MXJ, the narrow version, can take 350+ yes of 65lb braid). The narrower spool minimizes how much line tending you'd have to do to ensure you don't build up one side or the other.

http://www.avetreels.net/REELS.html

Ukee

I would personally like to thank everyone for their input on my Jigging rod purchase.. again the voices in my head won... so here it is.. Avet MX 5.8 & Okuma Cedros speed jigging rod....Now who knows where the Hali live :)007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is wondering where I purchased it ... Harbour Chandlers.. in Nanaimo...my go to for 98% of everything fishing related...

Back