New Fishing Regulation Fines

Think it's great they have finally done something. But you still need someone to enforce them.

Yeah. Fines are good and all, but without enforcement, they don't mean anything. I've been fishing on VI for 15 years and I've been checked a total of... zero times. Granted, I fish a lot of remote areas and when I fish out of a marina, it's usually on a kayak, but still, zero times is crazy. A DFO boat drove right by my friend and I last year (we were in a zodiac) and I was practically yelling at them to come check us, ha. I buy all available licenses ever year (tidal, non-tidal, salmon, steelhead), regardless of whether I fish for all of 'em and I want to show them off, dammit!

Yeah. Fines are good and all, but without enforcement, they don't mean anything. I've been fishing on VI for 15 years and I've been checked a total of... zero times. Granted, I fish a lot of remote areas and when I fish out of a marina, it's usually on a kayak, but still, zero times is crazy. A DFO boat drove right by my friend and I last year (we were in a zodiac) and I was practically yelling at them to come check us, ha. I buy all available licenses ever year (tidal, non-tidal, salmon, steelhead), regardless of whether I fish for all of 'em and I want to show them off, dammit!
Yup,, been going out there for over 30 years the last 20 hard core, and some popular places. Have been checked once at the dock in Sooke maybe 15 years ago, all they did was look in my cooler, didn’t even ask if they were marked or not.
Ive always been super careful to follow the regs as best as i can and understand them. Which hasn't been easy the last few years with packing and traveling as far as we do and still have a good usable product when you do get home. But I've always done my best and been prepared. But trust me I know of others that travel from plcaes close to where I’m from that make a joke out of it, you would think its 30 years ago the way they package stuff. But no one is ever checked so no one cares.

I guess the more remote you get the less the checks become..
Victoria area it's quite common to get checked both on the water and at the boat ramp.

And the fines go back to central Gov ??????

From attending the South Coast SFAB meetings, my understanding is they're trying to do blitzes in certain areas. So they bring a number of officers in along with boats and do a two or three day blitz of the area. Yes, we need more enforcement but it comes down to manpower. I know our squamish offices being under staffed for years

If you get a ticket and pay it, that goes to general revenue.
If you lose at court and the crown prosecutor is knowledgeable, the fine can be directed towards a specific fish resource recovery program, within reason.

$575 for a barbed hook ought to cover the expenses for a few more patrols. In the Vancouver area in 10 years I’ve been checked a total of 5 times. But of those twice was on the same day at South Arm.

Anyways, I hate DFO and only in my dreams is it run by people who know what the F@@@ they were doing.

Back