New Fisheries Minister

Ringo

Crew Member
Another BC MP is now appointed as the head of DFO.

Joyce Murray becomes Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard.

Not that it really matters, but what do we know about the new minister? Is she going to repeat the same agenda as Wilkinson and put her political career ahead of the resource conservation and enhancement needs? What do her constituents think about her performance in previous federal posts? Did she make any clear commitments to resource enhancements and opportunity development during the election campaign? Interested to hear about People’s ideas and predictions.

let's destroy her like we did the last minister.

pretty much the definition of a late sippin climate activist.

A champion for a better future in Vancouver Quadra

The Hon. Joyce Murray was first elected as the Liberal Member of Parliament for Vancouver Quadra in 2008, following a highly successful 25-year career building an international reforestation company and four years in the provincial cabinet of the B.C. government.
Joyce served as Parliamentary Secretary to the President of the Treasury Board following the 2015 general election, and later as President of the Treasury Board. She was appointed Minister of Digital Government on November 20, 2019. She also championed and helped lead the development of the Centre for Greening Government.
Making federal government operations more environmentally friendly and efficient was a natural project for Joyce, whose entrepreneurial spirit led her to build a company that has planted almost 1.5 billion trees—more than 500,000 of which she planted herself.
She received the Simon Fraser University Dean’s Medal as the top MBA graduate in 1992, was the chair of the board at Brinkman and Associates Reforestation, and served as British Columbia’s Environment Minister and Minister of Management Services from 2001 to 2005.
Joyce Murray has always been a thought-leader, driving progressive new policies in government. Whether advocating for strong, smart environmental measures or being an early advocate of the legalization and regulation of cannabis, Joyce’s ability to envision and deliver on bold new ideas comes from her depth of experience in politics and business.
She is passionate about investing in a fairer, greener economy that empowers future generations, and is confident that digital innovation will offer important opportunities for improving services to Canadians.
As a child Joyce immigrated to Canada from South Africa with her family and settled in Vancouver where she attended Lord Byng Secondary. She has three adult children and five grandchildren, and lives in Vancouver Quadra with her husband, Dirk.

Last edited:
From initial read of her website https://joycemurray.libparl.ca/about/ she is a enviro leaning, business person, with no related fisheries experience. Looks like she will be the same as the previous Liberal minister and the one before that.... More of the same old, same old. :mad:

The public fishery sector needs to prepare itself for a long, hard battle (and start raising $ for a court case or two) to make sure that the public right to fish does not get lost (like it has sadly on the east coast) to the FN's, ENGO's and the commercial sector. We are going to have to be smart and work as much as we practically can with these other sectors or end up being swept aside by them as together they are too powerful combined, especially with this current govt. My 2 bits.

June 28 MP Brunch Connections: "The State of Pacific Salmon - Is it too late?"

June 21, 2021
Dear friends and neighbours,

I invite you to attend our virtual MP Brunch Connections – “The State of Pacific Salmon – Is it too late?” on Monday, June 28th at 11 am, with guest speakers Michael Meneer and Jason Hwang of the Pacific Salmon Foundation.

Wild Pacific salmon are a critical ecological, cultural and food resource for most British Columbians, and especially for Indigenous communities. The health and well-being of wild salmon up and down our coastline and in our rivers is dear to the hearts of most Vancouver Quadra constituents, including mine, and is the subject of many letters I receive. Since first being elected as your MP I’ve worked hard to advance my goal of ending open-net pen salmon aquaculture in BC waters, and foster a transition to safer aquaculture systems. Our government has committed to enact this transition by 2025.

Multiple factors have contributed to a significant decline in salmon over the years, including a recent series of major rock slides at Big Bar on the Fraser River that dramatically reduced access to spawning grounds for some salmon species. Scientists are concerned about the very survival of certain runs. It’s time for an update on the challenges, and the possibilities for recovery and health, of this keystone British Columbian icon.

Michael Meneer became the President and CEO of the Pacific Salmon Foundation in 2019, after serving 10 years as its Vice-President for Development, Communications and Marketing. He has a background in journalism, fundraising and public affairs in both Canada and the United States.

Jason Hwang is the Vice President – Salmon, of the Pacific Salmon Foundation. He is a biologist and has served in a variety of past roles with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, including as Regional Manager, Salmon Enhancement Program for the Pacific Region.

Please join us for a presentation and discussion led by our guests Michael and Jason, who will help us understand what is threatening salmon stocks as well as what might be working to protect salmon at their various stages of life. They may also have some suggestions about what we can do to help right here in Quadra.

Bring your curiosity, ideas and questions, as we welcome you to Vancouver Quadra’s 13th virtual MP Brunch Connections– continuing the tradition of bringing community members together, despite the pandemic keeping us apart.

I'm gonna go ahead and wait at least 15 more minutes before I throw the towel in on the new Minister Joyce Murray. I've attended a few of her breakfast talks in past years where she invites guest speakers and found them quite useful and found Joyce quite candid and thoughtful at those events. That was many years ago and the topics weren't fisheries related but we will see in the coming days and weeks how she plans to operate. She is an vocal opponent of open net pen fish farms so that's a 'plus' in my book. She also has been very accessible to her constituents so hopefully that will continue, especially for those who want to ensure a sustainable sport fishery.

Yeah i think its fair that we give her some time. Though to me its seems pretty clear that she will be very favorable to first nations and to ENGOs. Seems she has been both anti fish farm and anti pipelines. I cant imagine a world where she eases fishing restrictions to do with southern resident killer whales.

If she gets letters from First Nation and Engos opposing a mark selective fishery what will she do?

I think she will be more like jonathan wilkinson than bernadette jordan.

Yeah i think its fair that we give her some time. Though to me its seems pretty clear that she will be very favorable to first nations and to ENGOs. Seems she has been both anti fish farm and anti pipelines. I cant imagine a world where she eases fishing restrictions to do with southern resident killer whales.

If she gets letters from First Nation and Engos opposing a mark selective fishery what will she do?

I think she will be more like jonathan wilkinson than bernadette jordan.
But not anti logging. She has be dependant on that for a very long time.

I will give her the benefit of the doubt for now. I have heard good things about her as an MP in general on approachability etc.

Wonder how she will handle the soon demise of Steelhead and Chinook?

Joyce Murray's provincial experience included a stint as minister of environment under the BC Liberals. I had the opportunity to brief her a number of times, and she's a quick study, asks good questions, remembers what she's been told, and is interested in doing the right thing.

Like any minister, she will be a creature of her government and its overall positions. I think she's closer to the fisheries issues than Wilkinson was, and I'd give her the benefit of the doubt for a while.

Back