Never Tie Another Hoochie!

FisherTim

After loosing a couple of nice salmon to frayed hoochie leaders this year, I decided to do something about it.
Where I fish, there are quite a few dogfish around, and they cut through 25# Mono, or even Fluro like a hot knife through butter. Even when no dogs are around, I found that springs have insanely sharp teeth, and after a few hookups, your trailing hook is gone, so you have to re-tie. Furthermore, I have found that for different fish and depths, you need different leader lengths, it's easy to go shorter, but as soon as you want to go long again, you have to re-tie.

After thinking about it for a few days, the Idea came to me when Halibut fishing, Wire leaders. Obviously people don't use wire leaders for salmon, because they are way to stiff, and you can't wrap them around the flasher, as many of us do to store lures.

So this is what I came up with:
IMG_0001.jpg

This is a 2.5", it has a single 3/0 Gamakatsu(My favourite, and in my opinion best hook) crimped onto 175# Test Wire, with a glow bead, and a 60# test snap on the front.

I also have 4.5" ones, these have 2 4/0 Gamakatsu Barbless octopus hooks crimped onto the same setup, except it's a little longer, and has 3 glow beads.

I've been fishing these for a while, and cary 28, 36, 48, 60" leaders with a loop on both sides in my tackle box.(You can store them nicely in straws, especially if you colour-code them) this way you can switch out a leader length, or lure, in a matter of seconds, and these are much easier to store in any tackle box, as they don't tangle up.

I just want to see if anybody's interested, I was thinking $4 each, or 3 for $10 for the 2.5" Squirts. And $5 each/3 for $12. For 4.5" ones. That's cheaper than any pre-rigged hoochies in stores.

Thanks for Looking!

(I don't mean to take away from anybody currently selling leaders, but wanted to throw my Idea out there)

If I'm using offset eyed hooks then I want the hook snelled-the angle as shown seems wrong to me-but I could be wrong about that.

I've seen this idea used for Salmon hootchies in the past IME wire is as much if not more of a PITA than mono.

Bring the wire through the eye, around shank and back through the eye of the hook then crimp so it hangs straight.
If you use hard wire, a person could switch any hootchie on and off and you'd only need a handful of rigs, plus you could tie to the eye of the twisted hard wire. Someone on here already does that.

That's what's done on the 4/0 hooks, these 3/0 have too small of an eye. I'm getting straight eyes for my next order of 3/0.

dc6c59c3da3ac67a710111f77bc48a60.jpg

This is what the 4.5" look like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have had fish open those type of snaps right up....

i have had fish open those type of snaps right up....

x2 Cross Lock snaps when using snaps, though I try to eliminate/minimize the snaps and swivels from the end of the flasher to the hooch to maximize the action transfer. Except for my needlefish hoochies I've gone to the commercial method of a 3/0 or 4/0 siwash crimped onto a stainless swivel. Have a bunch pre-made and takes no time to tie a quick palomar knot, slide a few beads and new hoochie on and you're in business.

Have had issues in past with breaking off trailing hook in the tandem set up. Last two years running Mustad Ultrapoint Siwash hooks have yet to break the line or snap off a hook (knock on wood). Landed a ton of springs to 25lbs in Ukee last week and no problems. Love Mustad Ultrapoint siwash - sharp, short shank, strong and a nice offset!

Cheers!

Ukee

Back