Netting someone else’s fish wrapped on your downrigger

I have always returned the fish when one gets into my gear. I want to catch my own fish not someone else’s. You did the right thing...was this at Otter Point on the afternoon flood bite? If so I had to go into neutral and pull gear as the line was under the bow of my boat too.
Yup it was at Otter

I don’t get why people fish that close to each other. I stay away from other boats. Call me anti social. Mob mentality. There’s 20 boats there..... there must be fish!!! Believe me there are fish in other places. Good of you to return it tho.
Fishing out of Sooke there aren’t really that many options. Yes you can catch fish anywhere but there are spots that are way more consistent than others and that’s where the boats go. Let’s say there are 5 solid spots to fish and 3 are now closed it doesn’t leave much. Most people figure it out pretty quick and get in the rotation and the ones that don’t get told!

A few years ago off the hump in Campbell River we were hooked into a coho, lots of boats so I kept the boat going straight. A private guide boat came up beside me even after I yelled fish on and he could see us playing a fish. His gear wrapped around the fish gear so we brought it all on board. The guide comes over while we were untangling the gear blaming me and trying to climb on my bought to get his gear. Total BS, I told him to stay on his boat we’ll have his gear for him shortly. He said all I was playing was a small coho anyway with no apologies.

Pescador...We are all fishing together because DFO.closed everywhere else forcing us all into a sardine can...only one small productive area to fish on the good flood tide. It’s not by choice...they have given us no choice!!

I will share an extreme cae of this story..one I will never forget. It started the day before when I came in with a good catch of springs and a nice enough guy who visited Sooke each summer for a week or so from Alberta asked where I got them. He had his own boat he towed out. So I told him...Sheringham. The next morning I'm the first boat there and set up my gear and head down the tack...in behind me about 200 yards the Alberta fellow pulls in and starts trolling in my wake...but 200yds back. I have two older long time clints on board...one in his 80"s the other in his 60's. The 84 year old is to be first up. A rod hammers off and the reel screems... I pass the rod to Stanley and he just watces line peel off. The Alberta guy has a loud 2 stroke kicker and is busy setting his gear up. I try to get his attention but no luck...I start yelling trying to over power his kicker noise....nope he just keeps coming. Now we have 250 feet of line still peeling off and then the tell tale total release of tension...fish and gear are gone. I'm telling Stanley why didn't I lie to him yesterday? lol About 10 minutes later after I had re-rigger I call Foghorn (another guide) and he says" just a minute I've got a cluster going on!? He is another 200 ft behind Mr Alberta but the water is clean...no bull kelp so I'm confused...what happened to him. He calls me back 30 minutes later and says..Rollie I have your fish. WHAT? He says yeh one rigger started acting funny and then by the time he got it up all 3 riggers where vibrating....he pulled in all my line which had wrapped around all 3 flashers, downrigger cables etc...basically a nightmare mess to start his morning. But also there was a 34 pound spring. And as it turned out the only fish we hit that day....he gave it back to us as we left for home after our 6 hour morning was done. As I said one of many stories in my career I will always remember. BTW Stanley was one hell of a man...he was originally from NY, was Jewish and fought with the US 1st division during the 2 world war. Landed on Omaha beach on D -Day and was injured twice and still had shrapnel in him to the end. The 1st time he fished with me he pulled out a pair of binos and said have a look through these. They were unbelievably clear. He asked how old do you think they are? I noticed they were a German make and guessed about 60 years and he said close enough. I asked how he got them and he said...lets say a German officer didn't need them anymore. It took me 5 or 6 more years to get the story out of him. I will always remember this story and this man until I'm gone.

I never troll somebody's butt & hate it when it's done to me. I big fish can peel 200 yards in nothing flat. You did the right thing man.

BTW the story I told...just to be clear. Mr Alberta cut us off and the fish swam on trailing a bunch of line...swam another 200 feet on it own and got wrapped up into Foggy's gear.

Guy hooked a fish with spoon, flasher, road and reel still attached the other day ay Kitty Hump.

Wants to return it, see Facebook/Campbell River reports

Guy hooked a fish with spoon, flasher, road and reel still attached the other day ay Kitty Hump.

Wants to return it, see Facebook/Campbell River reports
It's our forum member "Triple B" that lost it.

Last edited:
A few years back in a cluster of boats confined at Fleming in Barclay Sound we hit a screamer up against the kelp in 30' of water. We just held on and most boaters recognized the situation and politely pulled there gear out of the water because there was just no where to go. One yo-yo in a small roundabout decided to come have look and promptly his downrigger snagged the fish and by the time we caught up to the 2 fellows they had netted the fish. We politely asked for the fish and gear and they said it was theirs and to get lost. We pulled up and the 4 of us stared them down and eventually and with comments they reluctantly passed the fish over. Wouldn't give us our gear back though. To keep pace with their boat I promptly hit reverse and somehow blew my engine coupler which reduced us for the remainder of our trip to fish around the Nook with my kicker. Major set back and to add insult for some reason he was on his radio contacting Coast Guard radio. Not sure why? I guess for our efforts in the end I should have accepted our fate rather spending a whack of money on engine repairs.

It would be fair to say, he doesn’t get his fish in this example. Lol
I threw that joke on the report, nobody got it. Except you Canso.
In all seriousness what condition do you guys think the gear will be in after a 3 day soak in the chuck?

I threw that joke on the report, nobody got it. Except you Canso.
In all seriousness what condition do you guys think the gear will be in after a 3 day soak in the chuck?
it will be just fine depending on what happened when it came out of the water

One thing to keep in mind, if you take somebody else's fish and they complain to DFO, I think you'd have a pretty tough time explaining why you're going around the ocean just randomly netting fish.
I believe you are only allowed to net fish which you have sport caught using a rod and reel.
Netting it (to be helpful) you could probably explain, but I think possessing it would be another story altogether.
These maniacs who never change course or speed (how many of them have tried to t-bone me right in my Port side I can't even count ) annoy me as much as everybody else, but I don't see how taking someone elses fish is sportsmanlike.

Last edited:
I had a fish break off a couple weeks ago above the flasher so probably a rough spot in the line I missed. I quickly got gear back down and purposely went through the area the fish was seen last. Sure enough my rod line started to jump around a fish jumped
Out of the water about 25ft behind us but unfortunately it didn’t get wrapped up and stay with us for a chance at a hand bomb.

Back