Need some more help.

S

saltybeaver

Went to replace the water pump yesterday in my 97 200 merc . The metal ring in side the impeller was slipping so it would not turn the impeller.
Put the new impeller in, all went together good and still does not push any water out. The block does not seem to heat up at all after running for a little bit???
Does not seem to be anything blocking where the water comes out .water comes through the exhaust in the prop but no were else.
If I did put the impeller in the wrong way I would think some water would still come out or the fins would just bend back the right way.
Any suggestions???
Thanks for your help
Chris

Salty make sure the key that fits inside the impeller is in place and didn't fall out on assembly, use some heavy grease to hold it in place.

Thnaks guys
We were pretty carfull to make sure it fit in there. But I guess the only thing to do is take it all apart again .

My impeller in 97 135 merc broke the fins off and one piece jammed in cooling tube. Was able to figure out where and low air pressure backflushed it out.

This happen to me om my yamaha took it apart 4 times! after talking to the the parts guy at s&g power. I found out I didnt have the leg deep enough in the barrel and thats all it was. [B)]

My grief started when I decided to take my 1982 9.9 Johnson apart to replace the impeller. After reading all I could about it, I took the 6 bolts out expecting one or two to be frozen (as described in instructions) but all went well. Disconnected the shifter lever, a couple of taps later the the bottom leg separated as described in the instuctions.....except.... the shaft pulled out from the bottom end, not the power head. Now I am soaking it upside down with rust inhibitor to try to free the SOB up from the power head. The saga continues.

Back