Need help buying a boat

TwoTide

OK. I'm looking at a new to me boat. I need help in making the right decision. I will be fishing, prawning & crabbing
out of Poett Nook, not off shore , as we are the new care takers here. I don't have a boat now & I want to get one soon.
Has any one owned one of these boats? Am I jumping the gun or should I wait until after Christmas? I can pick up this boat for $7500
Thank You in advance.
If you need any info from area 23-4 let me know. I will be here year round.

image 1image 2image 3image 4image 5image 6image 7image 8image 9
2003 16' Smokercraft Osprey with 2002 50hp 4 stroke Merc. complete with saltwater King trailer. dual battery with switch, CD am/fm stereo, VHF radio, bimini top (in garage), rod holders, wired for electric Scotty's (Scotty swivel mount not included in sale) LED sub. trailer lights,kicker bracket. Great little fishing boat... reason for sale... upgrading. Motor has 473hrs, compression 195,195,200,195 just checked by M&P Marine with print out and new plugs

For all that a Caretaker's work is never done you won't be putting in long hours in that boat-just a few hours here and a few more there whenever you grab a chance.

It looks to have been well cared for-that motor especially.

I have the same motor, (year and hp) with way more hours. Quiet and cheap to run, trolls well. No complaints. Rain gear and a hat work better than a hardtop on a small boat.

A better choice might be an old welded seine dead skiff for doing work related stuff, with some fishing when you get a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
A better choice might be an old welded seine dead skiff for doing work related stuff, with some fishing when you get a chance.

Now we're talking :). Weld a hard top onto that then slap in a cheap snugger diesel heater, or a buddy heater, and your laughing:D. I love raw aluminum boats. Beat the hell out of them and they still look good decades later.

That boat listed looks nice now, but after a few years up there........

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest a top. If your looking at that size range. Check out the Arima's. Great on fuel and you will find lots of storage area in the raised cuddys. I have the 1511. Most of them are found in Washington State.

Not a bad deal you may get 2 footis after living up there for awhile. With this boat if you buy it and take care of it your not going to lose a lot of money. You may want to paint bottom of it if your leaving it in the water full time. Power looks good. Congrats on the new job that's a nice spot to be at!!!!

Not a bad deal you may get 2 footis after living up there for awhile. With this boat if you buy it and take care of it your not going to lose a lot of money. You may want to paint bottom of it if your leaving it in the water full time. Power looks good. Congrats on the new job that's a nice spot to be at!!!!

Yes I know about 2footitis. I would pull it out of the water quite often. Very nice place for sure. Should have a good resale value. Do you want to buy it next fall. I might need a bigger boat, lol

No thanks but I may have a bigger hardtop boat for you to buy when your ready!!! Sometimes smaller boats are more fun, cheaper on gas and you end up with more time on the water I'm sure you will have fun!! You will be working to hard for time on the water anyways!!! Good luck

Back