Need advice on using android tablet as chart plotter

Thinking of picking up an android tablet and using it as a back up chart plotter. (Navionics app) Maybe get the navionics sounder feature after as well. I've never used an android product so I don't know what I need. I've always used apple products. I don't want to buy an iPad because of price. Do I need both blue tooth and GPS built in? Is it better to get the external GPS antenna? Can anyone suggest a tablet to look at?

As a backup system I would personally keep it cheap since it will be exposed to salt air for most of it's life. Bluetooth not needed as far as I can tell since the sonar addition seems to be wifi. Costco sells an Acer 7" for around $100 that has GPS built in, it runs an older version of Android but will work just fine. I wouldn't spend much more than that personally.

The Source has an Acer Iconia 7 B1-730 for just over $100 that comes with Android 4.4 OS. I have been pretty happy with it. $120 right now, goes on sale once in a while for $100. Battery life is great.

As a backup system, I would get a portable GPS that I can attached to my body. When alone, I always wear a PFD and have a handheld VHF attached. That way, you are covered if bad happens. Wife gave me my first GPS Garmin 45 when fishing Partner told her we got fogged in on the coast onetime.

I've already for a hand held radio, in reach, and hand held gps for when things go wrong. I'm running an older gps/sounder combo so the tablet will be used more as a plotter. How is the built in gps? Worth adding the external antenna?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have an android tablet but I do run Navionics on my android phone (Motorola Droid Maxx), an older gen1 iPad (older version of the Navionics software), and my wife's iPhone 6. In all three cases, we use the internal GPS and in all three cases we get positional accuracy that is about as good as we get on the fixed mount Lowrance HDS-8 chart plotter. So unless the GPS is particularly bad in the tablet you plan on buying, I rather doubt you'll need an external antenna.

I use the samsung tab 4 with navionics as a back up to my chart plotter. Didnt add anything and works well. Get a long charge cord so that it is always plugged into power. Didnt spend the extra money on the HD version of navionics and seems as good as my phone.

Talk to wildthing, he uses an android tablet. Upgrade to sonar charts, it's the cheapest way to get them.

I have the Navionics app on my Moto G. $15.00 Works great but put your unit in a zip lock. Wasted a unit last summer and I believe the salt was to blame. The cool thing about Navionics was that it realized I had a new unit and I did not have to re-purchase.

You will need a tablet with cellular capabilities in order to not have to get an external GPS unit for the system you want.

I have an iPad with wifi and Bluetooth and connect to an external GPS via Bluetooth. I use this with Navionics app.

Only thing is you will need to have the GPS and Tablet plugged in as the power drains quickly if not plugged in. I use a double 12 volt cigarette lighter charger and just keep both plugged in while in use.

The androids don't need it maybe apple's different.. I have mine and it has GPS on it..Gets a good signal no external gps needed, and also my android phone has it...so you don't have to be hooked into internet.. If you buy app you can share it across all your devices.

Apple makes you buy the cellular versions for built in GPS. Most android devices have it built in, but not all so be sure to check. Internal GPS should work well enough unless you are in a large boat with full roof.

Back