Using Tablet as a plotter

scott craven

I know I've read about this on the forum before, just can't remember where.
anybody using Navionics on a ram mounted tablet with success ?
Do you need to be within range to access data to make this work ?

I know I've read about this on the forum before, just can't remember where.
anybody using Navionics on a ram mounted tablet with success ?
Do you need to be within range to access data to make this work ?
Oh man you will get lots of feedback on this one! I use a 10” table for my Navionics all over the West Coast without data. You have to make sure it has GPS , download the Navionics maps and it works great . I use a LENOVO Smart Tab M10 FHD plus. Few hundred bucks on Amazon and you can load the tunes on as well and Bluetooth it to your stereo , 10” screen, no glare . I use my Raymarine MDF as the fish finder and backup map. Many on here will shot the idea down , but unless you want drop $$ on 2 smaller MDF’s or one big one this is the way to go without dropping more $$$

If you have a cabin or hardtop setup so that the tablet screen is shaded most of the time, you'll be fine. But full or partial sunlight will quickly show you why MFDs cost what they do.

I use a Samsung 9" and it's great. Links to my Lowrance directly as a "remote control" or I switch over to Navionics for different things. At night we watch movies on it. During the week it's my "office" computer with the keyboard cover. Best $500 I ever spent.

I also added a USB plug above my helm for charging as at full brightness and running apps and music the battery goes in a few hours.

I still use Navionics on my Ipad 6 which is Bluetoothed to my haldheld Bad Elf GPS (https://bad-elf.com/products/be-gps-2200).

Been using them together flawlessly for ~ 10 years. I put the Ipad in a Ziplock baggie which waterproofs it and cuts the glare at the same time. I just carry the Bad Elf in my pocket or on a lanyard around my neck.

I do, but yeah, you have to have a cabin or some kind of shade to see it.

But if you have shade, it works great. I bought a Samsung tablet out of the US that uses a frequency we don't have up here and it cost next to nothing. Popped it into a cheap OtterBox knockoff and set it on a ram mount. No data necessary. Navionics works well. I think it's a good solution.

I used my 10 inch iPad with GPS and Navionics with the ram mount on my Campion 542 before I upgraded to my 228 Seafarer. I had an older small Lowrance that I would use for the fish finder and the iPad for the chart plotter. Now I have a HDS 12 but use the iPad as backup just in case, works great and it’s nice to have a multi purpose iPad.

10 inch Android tablet with a sea sucker mount.

I added the usb ports so I can charge if needed. Easy to move around. The tablet is way easier to use than a chart plotter. Navionics app is awesome.

All in $250 for the tablet, $100 for the mount, $20 for the usb plus some sweat equity the

The Sea sucker mounts are very solid

PXL_20210605_001807178.jpgPXL_20210605_001822979.jpg

Back