Neat Wolf Pic

Well that dog that killed them chickens ougt to be shot too. and owners fined. I know a LOT of farmers and not one of them have said oh goodie a wolf.....
I have friends on the border of Yellowstone and trust me they get shot as well ....

As for sidney spit there is no predators there your missing the point....and everything was ok till they turned into a park as hunters had LEH to hunt them....
if you did any research you would see deer and moose populations are at an all time low....there is no over grazing going on.

C L ....... Can I ask your Opinion on the Seal Population in Georgia Straight in the last 10 years ...... ever witness the Rivers and creek mouths and the slaughter of your prized Steel Head or Spring .

Wolves have a place in this Province and in the Wild ........ Not in populated or communities ..... with small children and pets ......

Once again ....... a little different this time " Bang Bang Flop "

HT

Am I the only one that sees the irony of 'wolf' saying that the only good wolf is a dead wolf? Seriously funny stuff!

HT, you pull some bs out of who knows where regarding the re-intro of wolves back to yellowstone and when someone calls you on it and provides you with data to support it, you attack them again and change the subject to seals? Why don't you provide your data so we can all make an informed decision/opinion on this.
No-one argues that wolves should not be in res communities. The point that was being made by CL was that you may live beside someone with a pitbull whose breed is responsible for 25 human deaths a year in the US alone and not do anything about it but you see a wolf and the first thing you you think is bang flop when in the last 100 YEARS in all of NORTH AMERICA, 2 deaths to humans, 2005 and 2010 from wolves. If it were me I'd shoooo the wolf and shoot the pit bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your close HT bang bang flop flop ... twofer ... I have lived in the woods my entire life and have witnessed the devastation caused by an pack of animals without predators. They decimate an animal population and when its done they move on. Without any natural preditors managing the population of wolves becomes a conservation issue for not only wolves but all animal species. Due to the over population of wolves in bc I agree with Wolf shoot them if you see them.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Awesome! We are talking about balance in nature...that ship has kinda sailed! Anyone seen the roving hoards of deer in Victoria lately...driving up to Cowchien to go hunting and passing a dozen or more before you get out of town, mostly eating roses and tulips (yeah, they figured out that living in the wilderness is too dangerous with all the wolfs and bears, safer to learn about traffic)

Always figured when Uvic was overrun by rabbits a few years ago they should have released some coyotes...or timber wolfs to have a natural solution, would have had people stepping lively after pub night!

Always thought deer hunting would get better naturally out in sooke when the predators inverted and died off...but last I checked the deer hunting still sucks out there...but there are a lot of bears.

Am I the only one that sees the irony of 'wolf' saying that the only good wolf is a dead wolf? Seriously funny stuff!
I dont think its funny at all as this is a VERY serious issue

Dont get me Wrong I think wolves are a cool animal but when over populated bad and like DVL has stated they go in kill everything and move on. We used to hunt Deerholme when i was younger EVERY weekend, used to say how big a buck will we shoot after the wolves moved in they decimated the population THEN a trapper took out many Wolves (all hush hush) now its exciting to see a deer in there now... not only a buck.

I witness first hand a pack of them moose hunting from afar torment and then kill a cow and a calf moose it wasnt pretty then they ate what they wanted and left the rest as we returned to see if they would come back they never did . then there is the Tick and parasites they carry and tranfer to the deer and moose . unfortunatlly people view these animals be it a seal ,wolf,grizzly bear as "cute" they really have no clue what is really happening in the "real world"

Wolf

Anyone of you hunters ever stop to think nature lived in balance for centuries? Maybe if all the hunters stopped killing deer and moose there would be enough for the wolves. The wolves didnt wipe all the game out for thousands of years - humans show up with guns and now they are the problem? Yea right.

Sorry to the farmer trying to make a living in wolf country he's got to expect some losses from predators just like a store owner knows he will have some losses from **** kids stealing. Should we shoot them too?

Wolf. Your namesake is closer than you think. My son and three friends spotted our local lone Wolf on Discovery Island Saturday by the Boat House. Scarred her off a seal carcass. Some of your guests might even appreciate spotting a wolf and is anyone here going to dispute a wolf taking seals. Leave her be I say.
It wasn't too long ago commercial fisherman were shooting Orcas and now look what a joy it is to see them on the water. (even if they screw up the bite)

You are so misinformed GDW ... they are coming into town etc because they ate up what they could they are hungry looking for food did you not read what others have posted....

Centuries ago there wasn't 6 billion people on earth. There wasn't yuppies with millions of dollars moving from the city into Wolf country by the subdivision full. As the population of the world grows (which is mostly non hunters) there is less and less room for game. There are more deer killed by motor vehicle accidents on Vancouver island then hunters. Get your facts straight./ Hunters are not the problem, thye are the solution.

Yes ive been over to Discovery a few time to see that wolf yet to spot it though... good its eating seals though.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of the humans killing wolfs to get them back In balance, maybe the wolf will get some of us humans were over populated anyways.

Nothing like good debate! With debate however you need to support your argument for or against with fact. You can't just say I know some farmers and its a problem. The argument for the non slaughter is as follows; there are 545,000 head of cattle in BC, 133 deaths of cattle attributed to wolf kills, $68,000 paid out by the BC compensation program. That's 2.4 cows per 10,000 killed by wolves per year. O deaths to humans by wolves since 2010. With respect to moose and deer populations, wolves are Apex predators, there population and mortality is based on availability of what they eat i.e moose and deer. Wolf numbers don't go up when availability of prey goes down. BC wolf populations 20 years ago were estimated at 8100 and now the estimates are around 8600. Those numbers did not increase as a result of eating children and cows, it increased as a result of available prey populations. If as a result of hunting and wolf populations "or death by car" the moose and deer population goes down then so does the wolf population. That's the way it works, you say the prey population is dropping yet the wolf population has increased, so r all these wolves just hangin eating berries until there's more deer available? The issue is not that there isn't enough deer and moose but that there isn't enough deer and moose for us/you. If what you say is true then there would be no prey animals in our National Parks yet it is the complete opposite. If anything there is an over population, is this because wolves don't hunt in National Parks??...no it's because humans don't hunt in National Parks! Anyway would like to hear the other side of the debate with a bit more detail.

Rovingfisherman, as I understand your argument is that hunters are the problem and I can fully agree with that. There are more people now on this planet then ever, and now the competition for the wild game is tighter. I personally, am not willing to give up hunting, and so to tip the scales back in our favor a little by taking out a few predators seems perfectly reasonable to me. In area's that are not effected by human intervention, such as parks and the deep woods, leave the wolfs be. But in area's frequently hunted I believe it is healthy for the ecosystems to balance out predator populations accordingly to the amount of prey harvested.

20 years ago were estimated at 8100 and now the estimates are around 8600.

Its almost like the same people responsible for numbers were the ones counting the sockeye returns basing it on a possible averages the population could be and doesn't really represent what it is. By the time they realize there is a problem of over population its too late the damage has been done. I wonder how many people who are arguing live and let live are the same ones who are arguing about halibut slot size and daily quotas. Its all about conservation whether its on behalf of mother nature or a sustainable resource and unfortunately it sometimes requires intervention ... like it on not.

Thats awsome !

the way I see it " The more ya shoot, the more fun your having "

pertains to more then just Hunting<

Any opportunity I have in open season on Wolves ...... I take, and if I lived in a residential area where wolves want to make it part of their habitat ..... it will be Bang Flop !

Matter fact happens already round here with the Yotes.

With Seals ....... it used to sound like " Bang Splash " Now I just donate gear and fish to them, something like Grandma Smith and her Fluffy White Dog out for a stroll on an Island trail near you. I say again Bang Flop ........ Wouldn't you agree Wolf ?

HT

Last edited by a moderator:
HT I think we already addressed the bang flop thing in a residential neighborhood as being good to go, maybe you didn't read back far enough? Same would apply to bang splash but of course again only in a residential neighborhood. Was just hoping we could take the discussion to a more cerebral level. Are you wanting to be the spokesperson for the against wolves or would you rather just take your ball and go home? Maybe you can ask your Dad to respond when he gets home from work.
Actually probably better we just end the debate.

Back