Navionics question

Redfisher

I installed Navionics on my cell phone and tablet years ago and just chose to not do any of the updates etc Now my tablet and phone applications are useless as they don’t show any detail. If I pay the annual fee to get it back up and running do I have to do this every year to keep it usable? Can I just pay the annual fee this year and then leave it alone like I did for years?

I already have 3 boats with Lowrance units and chips that I bought and am just wondering how much more I need to give this company. They are now a silent partner in my fishing trips‍.

I think for the app on tablet or phone once you update you will have to pay yearly to even access the charts. For the chips in the MFDs on your boat you don't have to update but they will still work after the subscription expires. I don't want to pay a company a yearly fee for charts so I don't have it on the app and just my plotter.

if you just need access to the charts for planning then you can use the free webviewer on your phone or computer https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=wfvfHvqhpV

Reactions: Mo
I think for the app on tablet or phone once you update you will have to pay yearly to even access the charts. For the chips in the MFDs on your boat you don't have to update but they will still work after the subscription expires. I don't want to pay a company a yearly fee for charts so I don't have it on the app and just my plotter.

if you just need access to the charts for planning then you can use the free webviewer on your phone or computer https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=wfvfHvqhpV
I am hoping someone may be able to confirm the phone or tablet thing. I liked having the tablet to plan my trips with and then used it when I am fishing. Not certain why it changed on my phone and tablet as it worked for a number of years just using my initial subscription with no updates.

same here. i bought the app years ago and it just works. ? i use it mainly to check the tides and to look at certain bottom contours.

I bought App for my phone last year in May. It ran out but charts and sonar charts still work. Tides no longer work.

same here. i bought the app years ago and it just works. ? i use it mainly to check the tides and to look at certain bottom contours.
Does yours still have detail like contour lines? Both mine went totally vague. No details at all.

I just had to renew mine. It doesn't show RCA's or sponge reef closures?
Mine does. I haven’t paid for years. I think they changed a year or two ago so maybe you are using the old app, not the new one

Attachments

• 9FD5101A-53E6-4E48-982B-B97559662734.png
    9FD5101A-53E6-4E48-982B-B97559662734.png
    422 KB · Views: 24
  • 025E3B37-57AE-46A7-995C-11C87A52041F.png
    025E3B37-57AE-46A7-995C-11C87A52041F.png
    749.6 KB · Views: 24
Anyone else find the dotted lines which simply proclaim the need to avoid whales a pain? I wrote Navionics to complain. why do we need the chart cluttered with info that’s standard for the entire area. Enough restricted areas already, so maybe another means to pass this info as opposed to doted lines? Not sure if this is done through Community Updates but I find it’s needless clutter.

Does yours still have details like contour lines and are you able to place waypoints on yours still?
Yes the detailed charts are still there and are better than the chip in my plotter. And yes- I usually just use my plotter for waypoints, but I have a few post expiry markers from my recent trip on my phone.
I also find the app useful for making a trail with markers on the way home from a new to me lake, so I can find it faster next time.

Last edited:
Anyone else find the dotted lines which simply proclaim the need to avoid whales a pain? I wrote Navionics to complain. why do we need the chart cluttered with info that’s standard for the entire area. Enough restricted areas already, so maybe another means to pass this info as opposed to doted lines? Not sure if this is done through Community Updates but I find it’s needless clutter.
I spent weeks with Navionics and various DFO offices to get those red dotted lines put on the charts. They are still not on the simcard for my Simrad, but they are on the app. Beside my 12 inch EVO we have a 13 inch ipad that runs the app. There are aspects of the app that are better than the chart plotter.

I agree that having red dotted lines all over that place is a really poor way of showing things on the chart. In this day and age it should be easy to show restricted area's or DFO closures by using colored shaded area's or similar. Navionics does updates all the time and say they work with DFO and would like to make timely changes. DFO is the problem - Surprise!! When I first started trying to get info from DFO they kept pushing me to the head office in Quebec, they didn't know where Juan deFuca strait was, one didn't know what an Orca was.

Bottom line is: do you play by the rules? ( not you specifically) If all we had to do was glance at our charts that showed all updated info it would be very easy to know what's up.

I transited the the orca slow zones on a Barkley trip first week of June, one of the zones was still not on the chart so I faked it. It was more efficient to go around these zones than to cut my speed by more than half and spend hours plodding through the zones.

While in Barkley we could hear DFO/Coast guard barking at people about the restriction on channel 16. I don't know if there were any fines.

Having DFO/Coastguard chasing people around offshore is a complete waste of resources. Just fix the damn charts and we would all know what's expected of us.

I spent weeks with Navionics and various DFO offices to get those red dotted lines put on the charts. They are still not on the simcard for my Simrad, but they are on the app. Beside my 12 inch EVO we have a 13 inch ipad that runs the app. There are aspects of the app that are better than the chart plotter.

I agree that having red dotted lines all over that place is a really poor way of showing things on the chart. In this day and age it should be easy to show restricted area's or DFO closures by using colored shaded area's or similar. Navionics does updates all the time and say they work with DFO and would like to make timely changes. DFO is the problem - Surprise!! When I first started trying to get info from DFO they kept pushing me to the head office in Quebec, they didn't know where Juan deFuca strait was, one didn't know what an Orca was.

Bottom line is: do you play by the rules? ( not you specifically) If all we had to do was glance at our charts that showed all updated info it would be very easy to know what's up.

I transited the the orca slow zones on a Barkley trip first week of June, one of the zones was still not on the chart so I faked it. It was more efficient to go around these zones than to cut my speed by more than half and spend hours plodding through the zones.

While in Barkley we could hear DFO/Coast guard barking at people about the restriction on channel 16. I don't know if there were any fines.

Having DFO/Coastguard chasing people around offshore is a complete waste of resources. Just fix the damn charts and we would all know what's expected of us.
I can see people wanting a warning if it’s for a specific area and unique to a small section. My concern is that for example, in Juan de Fuca the rule is consistent throughout the area. Perhaps a warning printed in an area of the screen would make sense? It’s IMO needless clutter that can easily be mistaken for other warnings.This is the message I’m complaining about.
‘Information: Keep at least 400 m from all Killer Whales, for more information contact local authorities’

Back