NAV light question

the butcher

I have a hardtop fishing boat. My nav light(which has recently died) sits at the bow of the boat whereas my anchor light is mounted to the rear of my hardtop. Would it be possible for me to mount an all in one light at the rear of my hardtop to act as both an nav light and an anchor light. I understand the light would have to have the capabilities of lighting the 2 different light patterns(nav and anchor) but if it can, is there any law against that setup?

I saw some nice white perko side nav lights reasonably priced on Amazon.com. this is us currency the .ca is like 20-30$ more. Was going to add them for mine for safety reasons as I have the center bow nav lights. But I ran out of funds for my upgrading.

I'm not sure about on the back/top roof myself curious to know

Points to note with specific types of lights All round white light An all-round white light shows over a nominal arc of the horizon of 360°. The light fitting must be located at least one metre above the sidelights; and should as far as practicable, be on the centreline of the boat. As a general rule, an all round white light should not be obscured by masts or other structures by more than 6° of arc. Boats over 12 metres in length Boats over 12 metres in length are required to have a white masthead light and a stern light displayed while underway, Masthead light A masthead light must be mounted at least 2.5 metres above the gunwale that shines forward over an arc of the horizon of 225°, so that it can be seen from ahead of the boat to just aft of the beam. In addition, regardless of the vessel’s length, the masthead light must be located at least one metre above the sidelights; and should as far as practicable, be on the centreline of the boat. Maritime Safety Queensland – Tips for Installing Navigation Lights - 3 - Stern light A stern light is located near the stern to show a white light over an arc of the horizon of 135° behind the boat. On an outboard craft, it may be necessary to mount the stern light on a mast, or to one side of the boat, to avoid the motor obscuring the light. Side lights Most boats need to have a port (red) and a starboard (green) side light each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5°. If the design of the boat allows, a combination port and starboard light unit can be mounted on the centreline of the boat, in place of two individual side lights. Individual side lights come in two styles, those intended to be mounted on a horizontal surface such as a deck and those intended to be mounted on a vertical surface such as the topsides or the side of the cabin. Be careful not to mount lights on a horizontal surface if they are designed to be mounted on a vertical surface, and vice-versa, because they will shine in the wrong direction. Horizontally mounted side lights generally come with a reference line marked on them which must be kept parallel to the centreline of the boat when fitting the light. Vertically mounted side lights must be fitted with the back of the light parallel to the centre line of the vessel so that the light will be visible in the correct sector and the lights don’t cross over. This means when lights are mounted on a vertical or near vertical surface that is not parallel to the centre line or not vertical, a wedge or similar must be provided to achieve the correct alignment in both planes.

PART C — LIGHTS AND SHAPES

Rule 20​

Application​

• (a)
    Rules in this Part shall be complied with in all weathers.
  • (b)
    The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.
  • (c)
    The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.
  • (d)
    The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.
  • (e)
    The lights and shapes specified in these Rules shall comply with the provisions of Annex I to these Regulations.

Rule 21​

Definitions — International​

• (a)
    Masthead light means a white light placed over the fore and aft centreline of the vessel showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 225 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on either side of the vessel.
  • (b)
    Sidelights means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. In a vessel of less than 20 metres in length the sidelights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centreline of the vessel.
  • (c)
    Sternlight means a white light placed as nearly as practicable at the stern showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 135 degrees and so fixed as to show the light 67.5 degrees from right aft on each side of the vessel.
  • (d)
    Towing light means a yellow light having the same characteristics as the “sternlight” defined in paragraph (c) of this Rule.
  • (e)
    All-round light means a light showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 360 degrees.
  • (f)
    Flashing light means a light flashing at regular intervals at a frequency of 120 flashes or more per minute.

I looked into it and it looks like only sail boats have a tri-color mast light (not required by law) in addition to side lights.

so it looks like either the bow nav lights or side nav lights.

Back