Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

IMG_0556.jpg
25lber. July 1 Anchovie at 160 deep Neck point area. It helped she had 8 anchovies inside of her.

Hi all,

Was at Gabriola visiting with family yesterday and sadly - didn't get to go fishing as the wife said this was a 'boating and family trip - not a fishing trip' - but did mange to set the prawn traps in front of Gabriola, 340 feet, using a mixture of prawn oil, pellets, ground up salmon parts & old tuna casserole as a binder to hold the oils - did very well, limited out.
Boat next to me wasn't doing well at prawning - he was only getting got 20 prawn to my 200 on every set, so I traded fishing tips for prawning tips in case I got out fishing- he picked up two low 20's springs , one at 120' with a green & silver 5' coyote spoon and a silver flasher with green stripe , the other at 140' with same flasher and an anchovy using a silver head/rig. He was fishing just south of the Thrasher Rock marker in 500 feet of water.

My grandson with a prawn: IMGP0016.jpg

Went out at 730 for a quick fish and got into a nice one off neck point. It gave a few nice runs and it was about 60ft from the boat when this big ugly seal came up with it shaking his fat head with my, or now his, great looking fish in his mouth. It appeared to be about 20lbs. Lost the flasher in the tugawar as I had my other line still down. Well, it's the first take away this year so I can live with that. Still a shocker every time and I've never been able to win one back once they have it.

Went out this morning, down to 160' Neck Point area at 6am. Got one undersize before retreating from the rain. Green glow flasher and green /silver coyote spoon.

went out Friday afternoon 1-4 and picked up a 14# and 15# also three nice size coho,all caught at 129 feet on the riggers with 4 inch green glow coyote,it was a pleasant surprise since all the reports have been slow

Out between 1:30 to 5:30 today. Hit a patch of coho around 2:30 and had some fun. Kept two and let 2 or 3 go all in about 20 minutes. Had one grab the lure before I even had a chance to clip the rigger which was a first. 2 springs at 140ft but both were undersize. Fished way out from neck as I didn't want any more seal issues. Saw a halibut and ling carcas at the boat launch (charlaine) so might have to give jigging a try one of these days.

Tex....I had an unfortunate run in with your thieving seal last evening. We were between Neck point and Icarus when I hit a nice chinook that looked to be in the high teens low twenties. It didn't take long for the seal to grab it and start a tug of war next to the boat. Fortunately I just lost the spoon which was a cop car with glow one one side. We were down about 170 feet right at low slack.

Great updates, thanks for the reports!

Great to here that the blue backs are providing some fun this year.

Fun night, lot's of action, no seals out deep. Two springs, let one go and I was rewarded with this nice one 15 mins later. Couldn't get away from the coho, kept two. Lot's of hatch coho this year. down 140-160. Tons of coho showing about 45ft. Spoons. Sorry about the i phone.

Attachments

• IMG_8945.jpg
    IMG_8945.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 994
anyone been out lately...heard rumors of a 41 pounder hitting the dock today caught out by entrance?

Was out tonight from 6-830 got two 12 pounders just off the fingers and one undersized, both on blue meanies at 200 feet. Beauty night out there.

Anybody actually targeting the ho's? I want to take my kids out for some action and wondering how fast and furious the coho are right now. Work's kept me off the water for 3 weeks now! :-(

I was out for a few hours this morning. Got a 21 lb spring a few undersized and a few small coho. Beautiful day out ramp was a zoo

I was out this evening and got nothing. Not surprising though as I never catch anything. One guy I passed said he caught a few around five finger island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back