Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Pinks will hit pretty much anything. I ran into some schools of them last year at the end of the season and they hit any lure or bait I put down.

Pinks will start showing up in august, the beach fishery usually doesn't pick up until mid August into September. They will hit small pink spoons or flies. Approx. 70,000 returned last year but went straight into the river because of some August rain. There is both an odd and even year run because the Nanaimo River Hatchery re-introduced the run in the mid 2000's. 2 years ago close to 50,000 returned, this year should be similar. Hopefully they hang around in departure bay and the mouth of the millstone this year for a good beach fishery.

After all the horrendous wind this weekend seeing it drop to 4 knots this afternoon, I couldn't help go for a troll , few other boats out past the fingers, lost a pin popper right off the bat,then about an hour in bagged a 10 lb wild red spring, Never did get a glimpse of the U.S.S. Nimitz which should be slipping into the waters off Nanaimo sometime thru the night. Going out again tomorrow to get a look and hopefully bag the big one. 145 ft' greenglow flasher n a purplehaze hootchiecuttlefish.

was out for a couple hours today trolled for a bout an hour, lost a real nice spring on the purple /purplehaze combo, ever have a friend try n scoop your salmon tail first... my jaw just dropped.. , gave it our best one deepline salute to the U.S.S. Nimitz for about an hour then I just turned way turn miserable, least the crabbing was good :)016.jpg020.jpg

We did well over the weekend inside entrance Jeff. Lost a good one Sunday on the outside of entrance, had right to the boat but the net was tangled up in the bottom fishing rods in the holder and I lost the fish before freeing up the net. Saturday we hooked eight in that area and kept 6 for the three of us biggest being 14. Sunday just the one and we called it as the wind picked up and we are beat up from sat. All fish hit betwen 156 and 120 with the go bananas 4 inch spoon getting a fair share of the action. I think that area will still be good. Any one trolling fast up around 50 to 30 feet looking for hoes?

I keep looking for any posts from the guys that caught the 70 and 40 pound halibut on a charter. The guide said they let another go that was 40 because they had their limit. I saw them cleaning them last Friday at Brekin boat launch.

There's a few quiet anglers out there that say Zip about there southern Goergia straight Hali's holes .......... Why sell the farm ....... The edges of Halibut bank being one of them ..... another nearEast point they are there ...... Just not the numbers we would all like to see. Stick and stay it will pay. : ))

Was out last night for a couple hours, man alive what a weed patch.. Never seen so much salad, not even a nibble in three hours trolling , cleaned the gear every 15 mins..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhybu8u3.jpg
found the bait but couldn't pull a spring out of it..lol guess i better head back out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went out Saturday morning and fished 6:30-11:00. Got one undersized throwback and a 13 pounder at the fingers. was a nice morning to be out

Zipped across yesterday afternoon and fished entrance down to waterfall. No hits so we ran over to the reef and jigged for an hour or so. We picked up a nice ling and a rockfish. Let the rockfish go and dropped the lines for salmon again and trolled straight out from thrasher towards Vancouver. Picked up a 7lb spring on homeland security about 2 miles out then called it a day.

Flat calm and sunny.

Got out for the first time in my tinner with my daughter. Had two hits, missed, beforeshe was ready to head home. Checked the traps on the way back and came home with three crabs.

Any of you guys have any tips on where to start my search for lings?

Great bait shots Jeff. Why no fish????

Going to have dump the alloy in and fix that for yeah LOL!!!

Back