Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

I finaly got out with a good buddy of mine on sunday morning, we fished thrasher rock and got 1 legal hatchary coho and 4 Chinook around 15lbs each, my cookies and crème spoon slayed, it out fished my buddys setup witch was a green glow teaser head.

My first post. This forum's been great to me. Learned a lot so far. Thank you.

Anyway, finally the wind died down and got out for an hour an a half this evening. Came home with an 8lb spring. Small I know, but I'm pretty new, so anything legal winds up in the boat, I'm happy. About a mile north and west of the fingers. 160ft deep using kitchen sink. Lost another one just back of the boat. Felt a little bigger. Nasty boy spoon on the other side didn't do anything.

My first post. This forum's been great to me. Learned a lot so far. Thank you.

Anyway, finally the wind died down and got out for an hour an a half this evening. Came home with an 8lb spring. Small I know, but I'm pretty new, so anything legal winds up in the boat, I'm happy. About a mile north and west of the fingers. 160ft deep using kitchen sink. Lost another one just back of the boat. Felt a little bigger. Nasty boy spoon on the other side didn't do anything.

Good report. Keep posting.

We tried a bit further out and could only catch coho and p-cod (kept 2 hatchery). Navy was testing and their patrol boat shooed us away, so keep an eye out if you're more than 2 miles past the fingers.

"Whiskey gulf" is outlined pretty good on most gps's units I have seen, but they will be sure to let you know if you are inside their operational area.. the large navy vessel , submarine and huge 4 engine bird flying at 500 feet is good indication. The Sub was spotted by a friend of mine walking her dogs in Hammond bay yesterday morning.. if you monitor channel 16 VHF it announces when they go live..:)

anyone been having much success lately...it seems rather slow out at the fingers was wondering if I should make the run down to thrasher...the typical splatter back, cookies and cream, and irish cream gear has not been so hot for me, anyone having luck with anything else?

cheers,

juby

anyone been having much success lately...it seems rather slow out at the fingers was wondering if I should make the run down to thrasher...the typical splatter back, cookies and cream, and irish cream gear has not been so hot for me, anyone having luck with anything else?

cheers,

juby

I haven't been fishing recently but before these NW winds started it slowed down to slow fishing where most people were fishing for 10-12 pounders and some good guides I know weren't returning with good results for 8 hours rod time using the gear you have been using.

When these winds back off I suspect we'll see some much better action or quality...hopefully

June typically slows down to mediocre...

Fished a couple of hours tonight. Some smallish springs around from just undersized to about 10 lbs. We were catching them from 130 to 155 feet. Did see one bigger fish at the cleaning station.

I was out this evening also. My release popped twice while I was otherwise occupied, I fought one half way in. LDR. And dragged a shaker around for awhile. All around the Fingers at 125 to 145 on an Irish Creme spoon. Another boat near me got a double header.

Simon, At what point should we consider your continuous postings prompting for reports to be spam? just asking.

Finaddict, sorry if you feel thanking people on the board for the whale info is spamming. I just really appreciate the people on the board who have taken the time to call me. All the feedback I have received so far has been really positive and people seem to enjoy their gift certificates to Harbour Chandlers. It feels like a win win to me...

I have posted a total of 9 times on the boards since May 12th. Sorry if this is too much for you, just trying to get the word out and thanking the people who are helping us out.

Cheers, Simon

But this is a fishing forum for people to share advice, reports, tips...about fishing.... not an advertising tool for whale watching operations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out Saturday morning.. lots of shakers in the 2-4lbs range. Two pop off's and an 8lbs we kept. Pretty slow for us today...

I agree, you should open a separate thread, it's annoying, there's a posting in the nanoose, Nanaimo and gulf island forums.
Exactly. when you post the exact same information promoting your business in 4 separate threads (Vancouver thread as well) and add your contact phone number, business name and an offer of compensation for further promoting your business that has nothing to do with the theme of the threads, you are spamming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back