Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

I spent 20 hours this weekend in fugly, Saturday I caught nothing, yester day I had a double header, I grabbed one rod n the other screamed out about 30 feet before I could put down the one rod n get to it, then it broke off 30lb test.. I was left with a barely legal spring which I released.., I threw the whole tacklebox at em yesterday... didn't see to many nets coming out but the guy behind me at the launch had a real nice 22#...

Know of a boat that boxed 4 today all nice teens, a few long line releases and small fish released. off Fingers, Entrance etc ........ down reel deep (no pun intended ) , 200 + but once there they did well . Coyote, green white/ spackleback hootch that theme continues.

Way to go Boyz !

Thanks for the report, seen a few nice fish yesterday n today, deep is definitely the theme.. 190 plus..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saturday fished long and hard. Managed a 15lber and a 14 lber. Fishing 160 deep with a glow spoon and army truck flasher. A nice way to break in my Amundson reel. Sunday afternoon a 8lb coho at 160 feet and a ling cod in the 5 fingers area. Sure loving my new home waters.

New to the group. Looking forward to seeing you all on the water! quick question Got a 25' looking for a close place to leave to moored for the summer thats not mental priced, or am i dreaming? haha

someday
the new marina off stewart ave is offering a pretty good discount for moorage or they were 2 weeks ago anyway. I cant remember the name but its the one that is 3/4 built.

Their "discounted" rate to the first 25 customers is $11/ft. That is a horrible rate.
Call around, there are lots of marinas on Stewart ave....$10-$10.75 regular price including parking

Cheers guys.

Hey have you gents had any reports on any halibut landed on the thrasher or fingers area lately? I always hear of one or two a season but never seem to see anyone with one in the box...

going to be heading out Nanaimo area this Sunday. Gunna fish fingers maybe thrasher. How has it been out there lately?

Fished entrance this morning and it was a late start but we manages to put a 19 lbr in the box at 10:40 and released another about 8 lbs 20 min later. Marked a lot of bait and fish but no other takers. Purple onion flasher and uv anchovie at 97 ft, both fish on the same rig. Was a little choppy but very fish able.

was out for a couple hours today trolled for a bout an hour, lost a real nice spring on the purple /purplehaze combo, ever have a friend try n scoop your salmon tail first... my jaw just dropped.. , gave it our best one deepline salute to the U.S.S. Nimitz for about an hour then I just turned way turn miserable, least the crabbing was good :)View attachment 12181View attachment 12182

With salmon fishing being a little on the slwoer side lately can anyone suggest some possible areas to drop a crap pot near Gabriola?

Went out sunday. Nothing, one Small spring. Was out there from like 8-5. lots of seaweed. Had to check the lines often to clear them of crap.

We managed this nice one and a couple of nice lings near Entrance today. Didn't see many other people there. Caught them on leftover herring in junky heads at 170 ft. My buddy's flasher doesn't even have any reflective tape left on it.

20140701_151316.jpg

Back