Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

I was out yesterday morning with about 40 boats and we didn't even get a sniff. I didn't even see any of the other boat pull their nets or have flashers spinning at the back of the boat. Slow day.

Fished yesterday evening off gabriola from whalebone up to entrance. Hit three fish near entrance in 400'. Landed an 8lb white and a 20lb red. All fish hit on irish cream spoon with gold betsy flasher. 125' on the rigger trolling fast.

For those of you not having much luck get yourself a Silver Horde Irish Cream 4" spoon. Run it with a 6' leader behind a gold betsy, chartreuse or purple haze flasher. This setup has consistently caught fish on every trip for me this year. It out-fishes bait and other spoons 3-1 or better every time I'm out there.

I would agree with Trensetter. The only difference is that I have been using an army truck flasher 135 deep. Saturday was very slow no doubt about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fished yesterday evening off gabriola from whalebone up to entrance. Hit three fish near entrance in 400'. Landed an 8lb white and a 20lb red. All fish hit on irish cream spoon with gold betsy flasher. 125' on the rigger trolling fast.

For those of you not having much luck get yourself a Silver Horde Irish Cream 4" spoon. Run it with a 6' leader behind a gold betsy, chartreuse or purple haze flasher. This setup has consistently caught fish on every trip for me this year. It out-fishes bait and other spoons 3-1 or better every time I'm out there.

Then why not fish all your lines with this combo then? Yesterday you would have doubled your production... :) :) 8)

Then why not fish all your lines with this combo then? Yesterday you would have doubled your production... :) :) 8)

Some days I do. Yesterday ran a kitchen sink with purple haze flasher on the other side. Similar depths to the Irish cream. 3 hits on Irish cream, 0 hits on kitchen sink.

Friday I ran bait alongside the irish cream, same deal, 3 hits on irish cream, 0 on bait.

But I can only keep two fish anyways and that one rod keeps limiting me out! lol

It's funny how it can change from one boat to the next. We weren't getting much action last weekend over there on anything but bait and it was one combo doing the damage. Had a bit here and there on spoons/plastic but a Krippled 602 glow head behind a glow Boogie Man flasher. We concentrated on the same area as you trendsetter....and all action for springs was at ~120 for the most part. We worked Entrance down to just in front of the hotel both inshore and out in the deeper water for the bulk of our time.

The weekend before.....spoons and blue splatter hoochies were the ticket with Irish Crème and Homeland Security spoons doing the damage for us.

It's funny how it can change from one boat to the next. We weren't getting much action last weekend over there on anything but bait and it was one combo doing the damage. Had a bit here and there on spoons/plastic but a Krippled 602 glow head behind a glow Boogie Man flasher. We concentrated on the same area as you trendsetter....and all action for springs was at ~120 for the most part. We worked Entrance down to just in front of the hotel both inshore and out in the deeper water for the bulk of our time.

The weekend before.....spoons and blue splatter hoochies were the ticket with Irish Crème and Homeland Security spoons doing the damage for us.

You weren't wearing the Pink shirt so they didn't know it was you Scotty... Lol. Just kidding!!! :)

Irish Creme has been deadly for the last 4 years over there...at least that's what everyone seems to be fishing....May as well leave the rest of the gear at home....however, I have a box full of Coyotes which you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands and They have put Silver Hordes to shame on several occasions. I think the strongest thing the Irish Cream has going for it is the Colour combination with the combination of glow and UV---the action is mediocre on the. Kingfishers.

I have some Silver Horde Canadians painted in Cookies and Cream and Irish Cremes if anyone wants the commercial versions for $5 each. I am in Kits.

I must be about the only one who won't touch an Irish cream. Kitchen sinks and green/ glow spoons or anchovies for me. The Irish creams I've tried have done nothing. That said, I've got spoons that look identical, but one will out fish the other 3 to 1 due to action I guess. Maybe the Irish creams I've got are just duds.

I must be about the only one who won't touch an Irish cream. Kitchen sinks and green/ glow spoons or anchovies for me. The Irish creams I've tried have done nothing. That said, I've got spoons that look identical, but one will out fish the other 3 to 1 due to action I guess. Maybe the Irish creams I've got are just duds.

When I fished a lot of steelhead, in the beginning I couldn't catch a damn thing on spin-n-glows yet everyone around me were catching fish with them. When my success grew as time went on I was using other tackle for my success. Then, after I got pretty good at it, only when I was having a bad day would I put on a spin-n-glo when my regular stuff wasn't working. But that's when fishing sucked, so really nothing was working but I blamed the spin-n-glos and my hate for them grew. LOL

Here we are, 30 years later and I still hate them. Haha.

You weren't wearing the Pink shirt so they didn't know it was you Scotty... Lol. Just kidding!!! :)

I have some Silver Horde Canadians painted in Cookies and Cream and Irish Cremes if anyone wants the commercial versions for $5 each. I am in Kits.

Haha.....hat and pink shades were on!! Mind you 2 weekends ago I was wearing the hat and a buddy who forgot his shades....(who does that) had the pink ones on.

Andrew what size are those spoons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott,

There are 2 sizes...one is quite small, something like a 3.5 coyote and the other is similar to a 4.0 coyote. perhaps a little larger. they are wider than a Coyote.

When I fished a lot of steelhead, in the beginning I couldn't catch a damn thing on spin-n-glows yet everyone around me were catching fish with them. When my success grew as time went on I was using other tackle for my success. Then, after I got pretty good at it, only when I was having a bad day would I put on a spin-n-glo when my regular stuff wasn't working. But that's when fishing sucked, so really nothing was working but I blamed the spin-n-glos and my hate for them grew. LOL

Here we are, 30 years later and I still hate them. Haha.

Totally agree. Top 3 or 4 combos get all the action while fish are biting (which this year has been most of the time). Other stuff gets a soak when nothing is happening. What I'd like to try is some plugs to target larger fish. Anybody have any good tips for plugs off Nanaimo?

Totally agree. Top 3 or 4 combos get all the action while fish are biting (which this year has been most of the time). Other stuff gets a soak when nothing is happening. What I'd like to try is some plugs to target larger fish. Anybody have any good tips for plugs off Nanaimo?

If you ever get a chance, go into the Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville. Talk to Rob and and he'll set you up for plug fishing on the inside. He's been hammering them with 6" plugs.

Small ketchup and mustard was the ticket for us last night with 5. It probably has a name but I like the one my son gave it.
No hits shallower than 180'
It was beautiful out there. Got out as the wind was still 10-15kts and just trolled with it until it died down. Hardly any boats were out ;-)

Back