Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Wife got her first-ever salmon today. Got it on a hootchy at about 140 feet out a couple miles past neck

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow some beauty fish being caught jeezz I'd better get my butt out there hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday great reports guys !!

It was marbly. All the bigger ones I've caught this year have been marbly colour. I've had a couple small ones that have been nice and pink. So good eat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On monday launched in Crofton went through porlier pass up to Nanaimo. Fished Fingers for a bit Caught 1 worth keeping. Still pretty small. Wind and waves ended up getting annoying so cruised back through dodd narrows fished porlier for a bit. Didnt catch anything there. Just a small ling that I found out I was dragging around. Was fishing blue and green flashers, tried spoons and hoochies, a white flash fly behind a blue had all the action. Fish was not marble.

IMG_4088[1].jpg

I'm going out tomorrow with my neighbour and his wife. I thought of trying out from Fingers but maybe with the lady along I'd try around Mistaken Island instead since we'll be in an open 16 footer and she likes to drink coffee. Is there any thing to look out for in that area?

If you're going around Mistaken , keep an eye on your depthsounder.......contour is up and down and a lot on the buoy side......

Good marine map will show you what I mean....

At 170 feet deep fishing close to bottom in front of Neck Point Park picked up 26 pound white spring on Irish Cream spoon on Sunday afternoonimage.jpgimage.jpg

Nice fish Han! Love the white springs.. What I noticed last year was that a lot of the early season fish were either white or marbled, the odd one was a red. Then later in the season it was all reds. Assume its just different runs coming through at different times. I gotta say too i'm pretty happy about how many people are posting their fishing reports here in the Nanaimo thread. I don't remember even close to the amount of members posting last season, awesome to see guys! Good to see a lot of new members as well. :D

Fished 5pm to 8pm, unbelievably calm out there, sunny and clear. Tons of weed floating around out off the fingers. Some good hits early on and just before heading in my buddy hooked up with a nice fish. White green with an orange stripe coyote spoon, no flasher around 150 feet (my new digital Scotty display crapped out, 3rd time using it). No exact weight as my digital scale crapped out too (batteries).
image.jpg

Back