Nanaimo fishing updates

codfather

Crew Member
Thinking about heading out to do a little salmon fishing around Nanaimo. Wondering if anyone has been out and how the fishing has been? Nanaimo is a new area to me as I spend the summers in Nootka so I'm looking for any advise you can give me. I'm thinking of throwing out the prawn traps and then look for a nice winter spring.

Thanks for the info.

Codfather

Iam going to test my luck near entrance isl. and the fingers. Probably next weekend. Try for springs. Ill update later.

Did get out this afternoon for a couple hours, during a lure change i reeled up a 3 pound winter, didnt even know it was on, its pathetic fishing but still better than work.

Did get out this afternoon for a couple hours, during a lure change i reeled up a 3 pound winter, didnt even know it was on, its pathetic fishing but still better than work.

Heading out on Monday, has anyone been out in the last few days?

Thinking of throwing out the prawn traps and then head out towards Thrasher rock. Then into Silva Bay for a burger and beer. Is the pub still open in the winter?

Thanks for the info.

Was out all day sunday dropped crab traps and prawn traps. Fished out off Clark rock and the fingers. Not a single bite. Tryed anywhere from 140'-225'. Not a whole lot of bait showning up either. 4 killer whales around the fingers though.

We went out for 6 hours, trolled out to Thrasher Rk and did not get a bit. We saw the killer wales feeding, but that should not be a problem as there was lots of water away from them.

The crab pots were empty also. Sounds like a good run should be coming around the fingers area around the 3rd week of Feb.

Was out at Entrance on the 18th. Flat, calm, warm. No salmon but some nice ling and 1 monster. No status card so back it went. Crab trap came up empty too. That seems to be the way it is lately. Gonna try Friday as well.

Back