Nanaimo Area

Fantastic evening today. Just got the boat put away. I will collect some photos from the crew and put a report together shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Guy's
If anybody is looking for a extra rod this afternoon or evening on a outing. I am still testing the CJ lures and I am free anytime today. e-mail doliveiragil@telus.net or
call 250-756-1288

Gil AKA treblig

I couldn't fall asleep last night, had to put back a few stiff rums as i was just vibrating with "Spring salmon adrenaline"..:cool:

It didn't look like it was going to be a nice evening earlier in the day but that wasn't going to deter us from giving it a whirl.

Last night Bart, Jeff, and I tried fishing the Spoil Grounds to start and caught a few pcod out there. We moved in closer to Neck Point and fished the same area from the night before. We gave it a good hour and didn't see anything on the sounder. No bait, no fish, nada. So we pulled the pin and headed for different waters.

Running to new gounds

It was getting later and we knew we only had an hour or so of fishing time left. Within 10 minutes of trolling we found what we were looking for.

Bait ball after bait ball!!!. It was perfect. We hit that late bite bang on and it was steady action for around 45 minutes. We hooked into 11 fish in that time.

Bart and I with a double header.

Jeff having some fun.

Bart again.

We were using the same set up's and depth as the night before. We did shallowed up to about 90 feet as the evening went on. We lost a couple of nice fish. One was a larger model that I test drove for a bit. Then Bart and I got to see it spit the hook mid air 12 feet behind the boat lol. Bart lost a larger one as well shortly after that.

It was a fantastic evening and the scenery was awesome. It truly is a special place we live.

A little hint ha ha.

Great way to end a night of fishing with some buddies.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Thanks for the report Sculpin. I am heading over from Vancouver (on the ferry) tomorrow afternoon to fish Fri. night, Sat. and Sunday. After reading your report I am stoked.
h.e.h.

Take a dam good guide to put a guy on fishing like that John ,i was just in the right place at the right time with the right captain! Was a night i will NEVER forget buddy! You and Bart are first rate Fishermen and i look forward to fishing with you again ! ,it is not always about the fish,sometimes just being there is the greatest catch of all!... cheers Jeff!

Take a dam good guide to put a guy on fishing like that John ,i was just in the right place at the right time with the right captain! Was a night i will NEVER forget buddy! You and Bart are first rate Fishermen and i look forward to fishing with you again ! ,it is not always about the fish,sometimes just being there is the greatest catch of all!... cheers Jeff!

It was sh*t house luck buddy LOL! :D. We went on a hunch and it paid off is all.

So which Nanaimo members will be attending this weekends Silva Bay Derby???

The best thing about last night other than the weather and the two beautys that we boated was the six orca that decided to swim right past and under my boat then decided to breach about 4 or 5 times right off neck point about 7 oclock.

Just picked up my entry to the Silva Bay derby,Will be fishing out of my buddy Brads boat " Swell Times".. see you out there :)

Just put the boat away.........again lol. These evening fishing trips kick the crap out of a guy I tell yeah :p.

Headed out with alberni fisher and had another really great time out on the water in front of Nanaimo. We had a nice quality bs session for sure. Alberni fisher likes jigging and so do I so we tried a few spots around Entrance for some bottom feeders.

Here is Alberni fisher with something half decent on the end of his line.

It was a legal ling that I accidentally performed a perfect release on !!! :eek::rolleyes::D. He out fished me 3 to nothing on the lings but I tied him with sea cucumbers LOL :cool:.

The water was unreal again. Flat calm and beautiful seas. What every fisherman hopes for.

The sky's were awesome again as well and I couldn't help but take some shots.

Alberni fisher offering the god's some of their own sweet nectar ha ha.

We fished the same general area as the night before but changed up a few things. The kitchen sink was still the lure of choice. Lot's of bait balls on the other side tonight. We had two shakers and two really nice pin poppers that ripped right out of the release. We managed to keep both of them.

Alberni fisher playing one of them.

A short video (click on the pic).

The result. A high teener.

Well I think I finally got my fix in. I'm taking tomorrow and Saturday off and might hit the west side on Sunday. Good luck to everyone in the Silva Bay derby. It should be a blast :).

This year has given me new faith in the ECVI. Every trip out we caught fish and a couple of the trips were pretty stellar. I have lived in Nanaimo my whole life and I think I have been taking it for granted since experiencing the WCVI. I may stick around and try it more often now. I have zero regrets for staying around this year. It has been a blast fishing my home waters with friends.

My outlook for the year is not quantity of trips but quality of trips :cool:.

Cheers,
Sculpin

ohh nice! I wish I was up there I would have jumped at your guys seats offers. nothing but a bunch of gusty wind down here after work :(

Back