Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Best action all year last night off neck. Caught 10 or 12 fish that were about 20" long which kept us hopping. Sad year fishing when a stack of undersided are the good news.

I just bonked a 19 off shack island about an hr ago. 115 ft down in 150 ft of water on a green splatterback needlefish with a green glow flasher
Thanks buddy. The green splatter back has been good for you eh?

Thanks buddy. The green splatter back has been good for you eh?

Yeah it has, its kinda like a broken record when i put my gear out these days. I juggle a few different things on the other rod, but it's usually the same rod that gets the hits. My wife was along for the ride but she's a vegetarian so she decided not to help me out much. had to net it myself which went better than expected. Here is last nights catch.

Attachments

• 2012-08-25 19.44.03.jpg
    2012-08-25 19.44.03.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:
We had a great day on the water with the family yesterday, launched at Brechin and dropped our crab traps shortly after. Zipped back to the Dinghy Dock pub for some fish n' chips and a cold beer.

After our cheater fish lunch, we pulled our traps and found plenty of small females, and a couple of keeper male Dungies. Soaked our traps again, and headed out to Snake. Wind was coming up, and in our small 16'7 tinner, the Father and Mother in law were nervous about the chop so we opted to drift and Mooch. In about an hour and a half we boated an 8lb Ling and one tiny Chinook. Great day nonetheless, and at least we went home with some crab!

Thank you for your help and tips gentlemen, I think the FIL was more excited than I was to get out on the water. At least he doesn't want to use me for bait....yet!

Will post with another trip report when we get out again.

Good luck folks!

Good on ya' Fisherman Guy..........around Nanaimo I'd be more worried about the wake from passing cruisers and ferries than I would about the chop.

Lots of large boat traffic around there with big wake waves.

Gotta keep your eyes peeled.....if you are bent over the side hooking up a downrigger clip and one of those 4 foot wake waves hits you on the other.....you could be in the chuck pronto........

Just saying........Cheers.

I'm thinking of coming up from Victoria for the kayak pink salmon derby--does anyone know if they are around?

Out yesterday AM with guests and found this 27 at 140 on 3.5" coyote tiger green and white north west side of thrasher Only one salmon caught, not even any shakers.

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 96
Well we had an incredible time fishing the waters around Nanaimo. Thank you everyone who has posted with trip reports and tips. We lucked out and managed a haul of Chinook in three hours.

Here are a few pictures from our trip.

546104_10151154091324653_596966353_n.jpg

25lb Chinook
534227_10151154092024653_862624780_n.jpg

381332_10151154092349653_964150574_n.jpg

25lb Chinook
304742_10151145944259653_479322187_n.jpg

Excellent post TFG.... You got me thinkin... I would like to try heading out and try some mooching.... since I know I would troll too fast. Looks like you had great fun with the FIL

TFG, wow. Well done, but I think I threw up a bit in my mouth seeing that. Not only did we not manage a day like that this year, I only saw 1 other boat come in with multiple fish in a summer's fishing off nanaimo. Glad to see it is possible, cause I was losing faith.

So all the salmon were taken on jigs??

I see downrigger mounts...but no downriggers in the pics....

Congrats!

Back