Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Fished Neck Point on Saturday AM and Sunday AM. Had 7 undersize in the 50 to 55 cm range. Hits were in the 80 to 100 foot range on Irish Creme and Red Racer.

Lost a good one on Irish Creme around noon on Sunday out by 5 Finger at 120 feet.

Wind made extremly challenging to fish!

went out early evening and yet again nothing..moved down from courtenay a few mnths ago.and had some really good fishin april may.limited out ,or at least 1 almost everytime out,and i do alot of fishing,,this mnth on the other hand not so good,hit zero,s last 4 times out.been trying everything but live bait and depths from 70 to 190 ft,coverd alot of water from neck point to fingers,fished inside and out.not sure whats happend out there but hope i find the fish again soon

well lost 1 yesterday morn,and a couple other shakers,,,better than nothing,hopfully a good sign im on the fish again,,was at the 180 in hammond bay just past the red life ring on the rocks,lotsa fish marked on finder

Caught a small one yesterday and a shaker in about an hour. Was out by the Fingers, after work last night. Was talking to guy in the slip next to me at the marina and he said the only reason he went out last night was because a buddy of his went out in the morning and caught a few in the mid-twenties area around Neck Point. Don't know how deep but sounds like some fish are starting to show up.

Just in time as a few of us are heading to NewCastle after we hit nootka for a week... That's like going from all you can eat to begging for food..

Well... I got the afternoon off & will try our luck with the crab & prawn traps. I finally got a Fish Finder to locate an acceptable depth since last time I tried..... I had 400Ft out & still hadn't hit bottom. Also I might try my first time fishing around the fingers area... since I havent seen a report in a while.

I had some luck last week. Went out three different days and came home with one fish each time, biggest was right around the 20lb mark. Caught at the Fingers, Neck point and the area in between. Was going to go out Sunday and then had some engine troubles (now fixed thanks to the help from the fine folks here on SFBC). All of them came in on a green splatterback needlefish hoochie. Caught a bunch of shackers on the hoochies and spoons. Depths were anywhere from 60ft down to 110ft. Hoping to get out again later this week once I get the motor 100% back up and running.

Do people fish off the back side of Newcastle? Going camping there later in August and bringing my very (14') small boat just to get gear accross. Would be nice to cast some lines while we're there but don't want to go too far.

Do people fish off the back side of Newcastle? Going camping there later in August and bringing my very (14') small boat just to get gear accross. Would be nice to cast some lines while we're there but don't want to go too far.
14' is lots of boat for the Nanaimo area on most days. Check the forecast before you go out by calling 250-245-8899. Remember the Chinook non retention area and the RCA which are right where you're talking about.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/PN/2012/17-co-ch.pdf
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I was out on Tuesday and git 2 decent fish. 1 off neck point, and 1 just off the fingers. 83ft and 115ft. Good luck out there.
What you catch Em on?

got one on a green splatterback needlefish and the other on a silver horde yellow Tail spoon. I heard terry wass out tonight and had a 15lber in the boat too.
Nice! Thanks for the info. I've had my boat out in Toquart but it's been quiet out there so I'm dragging her home and I'll be fishing here for a while now. Hopefully I'll bump into you (not literally).

There were a few fish off fingers and neck last night. We had our hits at 70 and 100. My big green and chrome spoon was working.

Back