My Yamaha HT8 HP is stalling

pescador

Was offshore today back trolling for 2 hours for Hali. When I came inshore to fish for Springs, my Yamaha HT 8 HP stalled out. It will run at high rpm, but, at low rpm it keeps stalling out. Its starving for fuel. Ideas as to why?. The fuel lines look ok, the in line filter is fine thats inside the motor. Its getting fuel ok from my tank as far as I can tell. Its an 08, has always run fine.

had the same issue on my kicker. turned out ethanol had swelled up and constricted the rubber fuel hose. had to cut it open in the middle to see it. it swells up the liner and kills the hose.
last time i bought anything other than chevron 94. now with chevron 94 and a new fuel hose it works great.

IMG_9748.jpg

More likely the carb over the hose...if the hose was clogged it wouldn't run at higher speeds. The carb has a slow speed and high speed circuit...the low speed is really small and clogs easily. Not much to them just clean with carb cleaner and blow all the passages out well with compressed air.

Idle jet Should be about a 1 hour job if you do it yourself. Dam Ethanol is hard on small carbs

It takes very little to restrict or stop the flow of fuel through the low speed. If you are running a 20 micron fuel filter you might want to consider replacing it with a 10 micron high efficiency one. After you clean the carb of course.

i rented a boat for a family trip years ago. the tender had a 9.9 tohatsu 4 stroke that ran but wouldn't idle. put a damper on the kids exploring....anyway i called the owner and he said the carb jets were probably blocked with dirty fuel etc. and to run the thing wide open in neutral for a couple minutes. i was hesitant to do so but his motor and his idea... worked great. ran perfect the rest of the week ..temp fix maybe FWIW

Star Tron fuel additive, get it at CT in the marine section. Add some to your fuel and run you may not even have to take apart the carb. Works wonders

Could put your fuel line directly into a bottle and seafoam so the motor so it sucks up and leave it for a day might clean er out full strength

I don’t know if it’s better. Started using it on the advice from a small engine mechanic, these motors have such small jets so they clog easily. This seems to clean them out, I use it on every engine I have.

I don’t know if it’s better. Started using it on the advice from a small engine mechanic, these motors have such small jets so they clog easily. This seems to clean them out, I use it on every engine I have.

startron same idea as ring free?

Awesome response folks. I will try carb cleaning approach. Little concerned as I'm in Nootka on the water and don't have a gasket. Guess I'll need to run on the main for a few days and fix when I get home. Bummer...... thanks again.

Here’s what I do carry a spare proven carb...only two bolts if I remember. Also you can put it in neutral with the hood off Rev the hell out of it. Put the palm of your hand on the intake and just before stalls out take your hand off real quick. Like others have said the Jets are so small i have to take a thread of wire out of a strand of copper wire to get something small enough to clean it out with. Also ask cam at Kritter Cove if he’s got a gasket he will sell ya

Re use the gasket just be careful dropping the bowl. They aren’t a paper product anymore, rubber

Back