My Neighbours Hate Me!

I have the D4’s in my Commander and have a temperature sensor in there. It’s at about 30c when running but can climb up to about 36c after shutdown and no air flowing. Commanders have lots of engine room air vents so it’s stays pretty cool when running. The entire engine room is gelcoated too. No problems. Interesting those engines stay warm for a long time after shut down.

The fairing is coming a long nicely. About 4 iterations of applying and sanding down and the sides are feeling pretty smooth. There are some areas that have TINY little pinholes that you need to squint at to see. Does anyone know if the primer will be able to deal with this, or should i keep fairing until they're filled? They're so small that the fairing compound sometimes wont squeeze into them..

Attachments

• _1.png
    _1.png
    1 MB · Views: 111
  • _1.png
    _1.png
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • _2.png
    _2.png
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • _3.png
    _3.png
    1,008.7 KB · Views: 112
Looks great. If your final coat will be another layer of gel coat I wouldn’t worry about pinholes the fairing isn’t filling. Gel coat goes on pretty thick and flows out nicely. If you are at all concerned with those imperfections than a little hot batch of poly resin and cabosil/anti-sag works great, mixed hot with wax it is sandable in a couple hrs.

Looks great. If your final coat will be another layer of gel coat I wouldn’t worry about pinholes the fairing isn’t filling. Gel coat goes on pretty thick and flows out nicely. If you are at all concerned with those imperfections than a little hot batch of poly resin and cabosil/anti-sag works great, mixed hot with wax it is sandable in a couple hrs.

awesome thanks for that. Plan is to prime and paint - I like the hardness of paint for this application better than gel-cost. Because those get coated on very thin I thought it might be an issue. If I see a lot of pinholes after my final sand, I’ll use resin + cabosil. Thanks!

Last edited:
You of course realize that paint does not stick to Fiberglass. The primer you use is your saviour, it must be some Awl-grip or so?

You of course realize that paint does not stick to Fiberglass. The primer you use is your saviour, it must be some Awl-grip or so?

I’m using Alexseal primer and paint. I will be applying 2 coats of primer to ensure coverage so the paint sticks

First coat of primer revealed some sneaky pinholes. I'm thinking I'll fill it when i sand down the primer after the second coat is laid. Prime1.png Prime 2.png

Attachments

• Prime1.png
    Prime1.png
    624.8 KB · Views: 20
It's all primed up. 2nd coat laid and filled the pinholes with that Evercoat filler. Probably not the ideal compound to use here but the pinholes were minimal. I used an actual knife blade squeeze it into the holes. When I sand it down this afternoon I'll see if it worked :). I'll sand it down with 400grit, and after much consideration (thanks again Rob), I think i'll lay the nonskid to the top surface first before painting the sides. Picking up the topcoat paint today. and can hopefully do the nonskid this afternoon. Primed.png

Only the top surface will be non-skid. Current POA is:
1. Lay tape on top for boarder of non-skid
2. Apply paint to non0skid area
3. Sprinkle non-skid liberally and let dry
4. Remove excess material
5. Remove tape
6. Paint entire unit (sides and seal coat for non-skid). 2 coats

Would rock wool work as a sound deadening? It’s got a very high heat tolerance could easily be secured with fender washers and proper length screws. Also easily available at most hardwares stores in a variety of thicknesses

Would rock wool work as a sound deadening? It’s got a very high heat tolerance could easily be secured with fender washers and proper length screws. Also easily available at most hardwares stores in a variety of thicknesses

No idea! I'll have to look into that. But a fire resistant sound proofing foam sounds like what i'm looking for!

Laying the non-skid (SoftSand). Sorry - i didn't take a pic of laying the paint down before applying the grit. SoftSand.png

I applied the sand very liberally. I will recoup the un-adhered remainder tomorrow, and hopefully I"ll be left with one uniform application of non-skid. Next is to apply two coats of paint to the whole structure :). Almost there!
I'm using Alexseal primer and paint. It's a little expensive, and it was tough to find a seller in BC. I got it from Canadian Marine Parts. Basically an online middle man but great service. Their website could use a little improvement (pretty slow), but still usable. The primer was delivered to my doorstep the next day after ordering. I held off on the paint until i got a color sample from the manufacturer, and decided on eggshell white. I called Barnie from Canadian Marine Parts, and asked if i could get an expedited shipment. Phone call was at 9am, paint was on my doorstep at 10:30am. Unreal.

Back