Mudraker problems

K

Kramer

Anyone using these? I had a heck of a time getting these to stick last week. Lots of hits and sticks for 5-30 seconds but only got one to the boat. By far more hits than anything else on the boat. I am wondering if that hook is too close to the head of the lead and not letting the fish suck it in completely? Thinking about putting the weight part on a slider and let the hook slip away when the fish takes it. Thoughts?

Hey kramer

Ya I had this sort of problem, I got tired of losing fish, I switched all my treble hooks to big singles, and keep em razor sharp.

Just an idea

I was thinking that same thing about the treble. I hate those things.

Would you run an octopus hook or a circle? I really like the circle hooks because I never lose fish on them but I think I would need a slider to make it work correctly.

The key thing with any lead jig I find is to GENTLY pull to set the hook. If you yard it hard and drop your rod tip to set it again, the big weight will bounce it out of his mouth. When I am fishing halibut, my guests and I leave the rods in the holders and reel FAST for the first three waves, this improves our closing average SEVERAL times. Now, when working a jig, you probably dont' have the rod in a holder, so rest it on the side of the boat when you feet a sniff, and crank as HARD as you can for 3 waves, keeping the rod stationary, then do what you want with it. My guests who hold the rod don't boat NEARLY the same amount of fish as the guys who keep it in the holder for the beginning of the fight, I see all kinds of funky dance moves as people try to set the hook and get comforable with a big hali reel handle sticking out from the side of the rod. Better yet, get yourself a Striker rod holder, this will hold the typical hali reel upright with the handle on the right. One hand on the reel, one hand on the crank, and up come the butts.

My $0.02

Back