MR2 VS. MR3

Tips Up

Just about time for a new reel!
I have had plenty of experiance with the MR2's and like them but I am concidering the MR3.

Any feedback appreciated.

Tips

I just bought an MR3 because it can be set up as both right-hand and left-hand retrieve. It also has a larger spool than the MR2 so it picks up line a bit more quickly.

That all being said, I just got it and haven't used it yet. But I'm a left-hand retrieve guy so it was an easy choice.

Highliner

If for any reason you don't want a "knuckle buster" you have to go with the MR2 "AR" albeit, only in right hand retrieve...... SS

ps The tension adjustment knob is much friendlier on the MR3

Whats up with not beeing able to take the clicker off on an MR3?

Or should I call it "Seal dinner bell" ?
I don't own either but can someone confirm that you can silence the clicker on the MR2?

I would go with MR3 though. They come in blue:D

vic

MR3 is good if you can get them with the solid backplate. The drilled ones let too much water in on rainy days and the cork drag does not like that. Plus there is no freespool option. The drag knob is bigger and a bit easier to deal with. Maybe its just my reel in particular but the drag knob seems way too touchy, even when youve got it tightened, the actual knob itself still feels loose. If i was to go out reel shopping right now id get another MR2.

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

Whats up with not beeing able to take the clicker off on an MR3?

Or should I call it "Seal dinner bell" ?
I don't own either but can someone confirm that you can silence the clicker on the MR2?

I would go with MR3 though. They come in blue:D

vic

Made my whole night! Hilarious! And yeah, I'd save myself $400 and buy a Daiwa or Shimano [:p]

quote:Buy a Shimano and put 400 bucks in your pocket !
I like it. Those new Trophy reels are sure a nice contender for the price, worth a look for your Charters Tips. I used Striper Jacks one day and liked it as much if not better than his Islander MR3? Maybe it is just the cheaper price with my keen skill and ability of placing gear in Davey' Jones Locker?

The ladies on my boat prefer a well conditioned peetz reel.Still works after forty years. Nothing beats the feel of real wood is what they talk about.
Who wants cold aluminum?

quote:Made my whole night! Hilarious! And yeah, I'd save myself $400 and buy a Daiwa or Shimano

Because some people like to own the best and some are content with mear copies...

I love my MR2 but have to admit I have not been around the MR3's yet.. I would expect that the larger spool would come in handy when a big boy is taking a run at the boat..

Thanks for all the feedback.
Tailspin- I am looking for something for personal use. For charters we use the MR2's and I like them, then again for that purpose I will use whatever Rick wants to pay for.LOL!

As for Diawas and Shimanos- I personally think the Diawas are crap. I have 1 that sits in the garage collecting dust. The drags are terrible and the clickers on them sound like they could blow up anytime. I do like Shimanos but nothing is as smooth and long lasting as a machined aluminum reel.

The new Trophy seems nice. 2 guys I fish with use them.
Yote just got 1 so I have to get something better!

I hope to get a chance to try an MR3 before making my purchase. But I do plan to buy an Islander.

Tips

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up
As for Diawas and Shimanos- I personally think the Diawas are crap.

I agree, DAIWA = Dog doo !!!
I had one self destruct in less than a year
On the other hand the Shimano 4000gt's are great !

quote:I agree, DAIWA = Dog doo !!!

Not that I think they are anything special but I've had a couple of M-ones from over 10 years ago that still work fine and have never even been oiled.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up
As for Diawas and Shimanos- I personally think the Diawas are crap.

I agree, DAIWA = Dog doo !!!
I had one self destruct in less than a year
On the other hand the Shimano 4000gt's are great !

I have an old Daiwa 275 that just keeps going and going. I just got two new m-ones for free so I will destroy those before I go out and spend the $$$$

SS

Put Shimmano washers in your Daiwa M1's, Bill at fitters can doctor them up with better clicker springs as well, all for about 10$ The stock clicker springs sag out on one side or the other and puts the clicker off center. Once they are fixed up they are smoother than the Simmano 4000 and work well. The spools on the 4000's blow up when you play a sealion on them too;)

I've used a couple of MR2's for the last 8 years. Last year, I bought a couple of MR3's and the MR2's stay at home in the rod rack! Love the fast retreive...the lack of free spool doesn't seem to be an issue.

Back