Mouth of Cap.

B

Brisco

Lots of boats but no fish Saw only a couple of seals.Charter guys were not around either.Did see some pinks jumping in the inlet and a dozen boats casting.

Went out Sunday morning at 6:00am. Only one other boat there... looked like they were jigging! No action! At about 7:00am more boats started to show but still no action. Had a hit at 7:45 and landed a 13lb white male. It hit @ 90' (while bottom bouncing) on a all silver "Sting King" E-chip Lure (made by Pro-Troll... kinda looks like an Apex Lure). I had NO FLASHER. I stopped at 8:30 when the rain started and the wind picked up! Didn't see anybody else catch anything.

The "Sting King" (now apparently called "E-Lure") has a motion activated mechanical device which is supposed to send out a weak electric pulse (similar to that of an injured fish). http://www.protroll.com/

I have just started to test these lures (last couple of weeks) but haven't caught anything on them till yesterday. For some "objective" comparison I deliberately trolled my second rod at the same depth using traditional anchovie/flasher combination. For whatever reason, it seems the fish preferred the Sting-King! Does anyone else have any experience with Pro-Troll's "E-Chip" lures and/or flashers?

The wind came,the rain came,the fish came.23lb White Spring female and a nice 6lb Coho.About 40 boats out, all the charters, saw lots caught and lost.Where do you get those lures?Brisco,Pinks only run on the odd years.

I think you got hooked by a marketing ploy. The erratic action and the little rattle the cylinder gave off probably ticked the fish off. The action on those is VERY erratic.

Consider this, how many 'Chovies can you run and how many fish can you catch for the price of that lure? I looked 'em up, they're kinda pricey at Steveston.

Luck of the draw so has it that the fish saw your lure as you were trolling past it, and it took a swipe at it. If it saw your anchovy first, it probably woulda taken it too. Those fish over there move around a lot, and I mean...LOTS.

Mouth of the cap is a BAIT fishery primarily.

Not a good spot for hardware relatively speaking, you're apt to lose your lure to a rigger or a seal if it gets on a fish.

FYI, the kermit spoon has been working well over there, as well as purple haze, but NOTHING is going to beat bait over there---and years over, it's yet to be proven otherwise.

It's raining lots and I think the Cap fishery is going to be short lived if it keeps on raining... DO a sunshine dance!

Tight lines.

quote:Originally posted by opp-i-ottan

Went out Sunday morning at 6:00am. Only one other boat there... looked like they were jigging! No action! At about 7:00am more boats started to show but still no action. Had a hit at 7:45 and landed a 13lb white male. It hit @ 90' (while bottom bouncing) on a all silver "Sting King" E-chip Lure (made by Pro-Troll... kinda looks like an Apex Lure). I had NO FLASHER. I stopped at 8:30 when the rain started and the wind picked up! Didn't see anybody else catch anything.

The "Sting King" (now apparently called "E-Lure") has a motion activated mechanical device which is supposed to send out a weak electric pulse (similar to that of an injured fish). http://www.protroll.com/

I have just started to test these lures (last couple of weeks) but haven't caught anything on them till yesterday. For some "objective" comparison I deliberately trolled my second rod at the same depth using traditional anchovie/flasher combination. For whatever reason, it seems the fish preferred the Sting-King! Does anyone else have any experience with Pro-Troll's "E-Chip" lures and/or flashers?

I was told there was a small number of pinks on even years.If not what did we see jumping and what were those guys casting for? Also, does anyone use the Cannon downriggers with the ion control? I'm begining to wonder how well these work.

Fishallspec... cool that you stayed to be part of the late morning action. I had my early morning excitement... went home and took my kids out for breakfast... don't regret anything! I got the E-Chip lures from Steveston Marine a few weeks ago. I can't remeber exactly what they cost but I think fishin_magician is right about a copule of things... they ain't cheap and Pro-Troll probably sell more E-Chip lures and flashers because of marketing than because of actual fishing success!

You should know that I started testing the E-Chips in Barkley Sound the weekend before last and, that time, anchovie/flasher combo far outfished everything! Even a little blue/silver coyote spoon did better than the E-Chip. But, since I finally caught one I'd thought I'd throw it out there for fun... always a thrill to play a fish without a flasher I think! Love to fish with Tomic Plugs or Cut-Plug herring for the same reason! I'll test them some more and let you know!

Back