Moutcha Bay Resort - Nootka

so doing the math a 70lb fish at 5$ a pound =equals 350$ too much for my boat and the poundage comes off the commercial TAC not ours and the problem with this is.....

so doing the math a 70lb fish at 5$ a pound =equals 350$ too much for my boat and the poundage comes off the commercial TAC not ours and the problem with this is.....

Troll? The obvious problem is the TAC continues to shrink and the sport fishing season is shrinking right along with it. Instead of DFO working towards a fair system that allows for a regular sport fish season they chose this model which will continue to errode the sport fish season while allowing only those with lots of money to continue fishing. In addition the money spent doesn't go to conservation or restoration it goes to some rich commercial fishermen who were gifted (or bought) quota and now seem to own it forever. Another issue I see is lodges who participate in the program take from the sport fish TAC first then purchase quota on top so they are decreasing our season length AND participating in a program that no joe angler wants to succeed.

My family has fished in Canada for 3 or 4 generations where is my gifted quota?

If you really want to know what the problem is with that you need to read previous post regarding this topic. Sounds more like you are just fishing.

Sorry still don't get it. We have 12% of the TAC and have borrowed another 3% to get to 15% that is the major underlying issue but it never seemed to be an issue when it was 2/3. Now the population has crashed and TAC went down we still have 15%, SFAB decided on the regs not dfo I would rather it be 1/1 no size limit but the lodges will never agree to that so go to meetings and outvote them which wont happen because we all work. As for the experimental license it has no impact on the sport tac at all it comes from the 85% we don't have access to. If you don't like it go to the meetings and vote try to make gifting of halibut illegal and you will add another month to your season. Where I come from the fishing is a privilege not a right. If you don't like these regs on halibut just give it 5 years when Chinook is 1 a day and 10 a year.

Sorry still don't get it. We have 12% of the TAC and have borrowed another 3% to get to 15% that is the major underlying issue but it never seemed to be an issue when it was 2/3. Now the population has crashed and TAC went down we still have 15%, SFAB decided on the regs not dfo I would rather it be 1/1 no size limit but the lodges will never agree to that so go to meetings and outvote them which wont happen because we all work. As for the experimental license it has no impact on the sport tac at all it comes from the 85% we don't have access to. If you don't like it go to the meetings and vote try to make gifting of halibut illegal and you will add another month to your season. Where I come from the fishing is a privilege not a right. If you don't like these regs on halibut just give it 5 years when Chinook is 1 a day and 10 a year.

HnS, I'm sorry you still don't get it.

-First of all, recreational anglers didn't borrow 3%, it was re allocated to them because 12% was obviously inadequate to execute a fishery of traditional length during times of low abundance (a flaw in the original allocation policy, they gave their buddies a bigger piece of the pie than they deserved, and neglected the needs of the commons). After all, it is a common property resource, owned by all Canadians, not just the "Slipper skippers" who should have to actually fish their quota!

-Secondly, The SFAB may have recommended the current management scenario, but it was done with the intention of providing opportunity to the greatest number of anglers, and the longest season possible for everybody. I like the idea of 1/1 no size limit, but if a bunch of people high graded, the average size harvested would increase and the recreational allocation could be exhausted mid summer. The sector gets a set # of pounds, and when it is caught the season is over, weather we like it or not. Want to change this? Call every politician in your area and let them know the allocation stinks.

-Thirdly, the experimental licence is like DFO saying to the public " we gave away your children's property to capitalism, and if you want "reasonable" access to it, you have to pay the slipper skipper. And no, the money will not go towards stewardship, conservation, enhancement or anything else that Aldo Leopold taught, it will be profit in the pocket of big business. Ever play monopoly?

-Fourth, the gifting part is commie BS!!! But if there was any argument here, its been extinguished by the annual limit. If I can only catch 6, why would I give one away?

-Finally, you are right about Chinook. If DFO continues to allow all the commercial fisheries to pound the snot out of everything that swims, ocean productivity will continue to plummet and there will be nothing for salmon to eat. Check out TAC's for all species, they keep dropping and dropping and dropping. Sustainable, ya right...

pretty funny Lorne is still fighting the good fight, go Lorne.

LMAO! You know, Lorne gets under a lot of guys skins in here but, all b.s. aside, he really is fighting the good fight here. Atta buoy Lorne. Git 'em!
Which brings up a question that's been bothering me since I heard about sporties leasing commie quota:
Since Moutcha Bay can send a fleet out to catch their lease quota, what is stopping the commies from doing the same?
The transferable quota system is the scourge of the West Coast. Quotas work but being able to transfer them killed the Black Cod and Halibut industries over night. I personally am a victim. And believe me you, sportfishing is the next victim if this crap continues.
I understand that the owners of Moutcha Bay may be just keeping up with the times but, we are all in the same boat here. Grab an oar and start rowing with the rest of us comrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
@FishinForever
not sure what country you live in but its a right to vote and a privilege to fish hence the license and regulations. Hopefully you exercise your right next time there is a federal election.

"The Charter of Rights protects those basic rights and freedoms of all Canadians that are considered essential to preserving Canada as a free and democratic country. It applies to all governments – federal, provincial and territorial – and includes protection of the following:
•fundamental freedoms, democratic rights
•the right to live and seek employment anywhere in Canada
•legal rights: the right to life, liberty and personal security
•equality rights for all
• the official languages of Canada
•minority language education rights
•Canada's multicultural heritage, and
•Aboriginal peoples' rights."

sorry don't see fishing

Back