Mounting kicker bracket to Grady gulfstream

jcon12

Hi all,

We just repowered our gulfstream with a new 300 :) and have decided to add a kicker.

We have the full length swim platform that bolts through the transom and has two (kind of dinky) SS supports on the outside.

The shop was originally going to install the bitemetoo bracket but as we suspected it was too short. I see three options.. what do you think?

1. Cut out 1/3 of the swim platform and mount the bracket/motor direct to the transom
2. Notch out the swim grid at the furthest aft by about 5" to allow for the bitemetoo bracket fit underneath. We would also need to cut out the swim grids inner lip that mounts to the transom so the kicker bracket can sit flush against the transom and the swim grid.
3. mount a kicker bracket on top - this could be done by either making a custom bracket that mounts to the transom and sits on top of the swim platform (see drawing) or potentially reinforce the swim grid with an additional bracket underneath and just install a kicker bracket at the end of the swim grid.

thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• grid 2.jpg
    grid 2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 73
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 73
  • kicker 3.jpg
    kicker 3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 73
get one of the garelick fourstroke brackets which can go up and down and just mount on top of the swim bracket. it should give you the clearance without cutting anything.

get one of the garelick fourstroke brackets which can go up and down and just mount on top of the swim bracket. it should give you the clearance without cutting anything.

I've gotta disagree with this. I don't think that swimgrid and stainless strut arrangement is up to the task of supporting a kicker....especially not a kicker mounted on to one of those flexy adjustable brackets.

My vote is for @jcon12 Option 2: notch the swimgrid to accommodate the bracket. I think this is the best option for aesthetics (granted, subjective) and access to the kicker for maintenance, in addition to boarding the vessel

derby may still have one for sale off his 232 . I just emailed Grady they gave me the transom angle . a 7 inch plate on each end and 4inch square tube, seen round also
bracket.jpg

derby may still have one for sale off his 232 . I just emailed Grady they gave me the transom angle . a 7 inch plate on each end and 4inch square tube, seen round also
View attachment 62220

This is what I was originally thinking! I just made this exact setup for my arima but only 16" arm.

Do you know if any additional support was added underneath the swim platform?

thanks!

This is what I was originally thinking! I just made this exact setup for my arima but only 16" arm.

Do you know if any additional support was added underneath the swim platform?

thanks!
I did the same bracket as Derby for my Grady 228 G. I added a plate and bolted that to the swim grid as well as the 4 bolts through the transom. I felt is was more secure with two anchoring points. This is an old picture pre engine changes but set up for kicker is same. Prodigy Marine in Sooke did it.

the-concept-bracket.html

1614124857050.png

Go fixed aluminum bracket for sure with bolts through transom.If your planning on a power tilt kicker be sure the bracket you buy will fit well.It's nice to have 9 or 10" for the mounting bracket on power tilt motors.I had to alter the one I bought and have it repowdercoated.Depending on the length of kicker you want to run ,you may have to go higher than the swim grid so it doesn't drag while travelling with kicker tilted.Lots to think about.

Jcon12,
with the new F300, how well does your bracket float your engine? If not really well, adding a kicker might.... contribute to lower bracket/F300 buoyancy, which is not what you want (don't ask me how I know). If you have such and issue, perhaps having someone like PDR build a solo bracket for your kicker which has buoyancy chamber? Good luck. DAJ

Here’s the kicker bracket layout on my 228 Seafarer prior to hanging engines, 1/3 of the swim grid was removed.

Attachments

• E23B1BEE-7CFC-4C7E-B6B7-E8A8F2CB1FCD.jpeg
    E23B1BEE-7CFC-4C7E-B6B7-E8A8F2CB1FCD.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 50
I would opt for a swim grid bracket mount that just goes on top and bolt it to the swim grid. Seems like the easiest route. Here’s mine, bracket was a few hundred bucks from what I remember, 4 bolts and done.

Attachments

• A0233279-FF27-475F-B3C8-11590B281306.jpeg
    A0233279-FF27-475F-B3C8-11590B281306.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 44
If you contact engineering at Grady they will strongly suggest you not bolt a kicker bracket direct to the swim grid. It’s not rigid enough. It may work. It may not. I talked to them about this very question a few times. Bolt to transom as primary support then swim grid only to reduce torque and to add additional stability.

Back