Mooching Reel Opinions?

quote:MR3 is top of the heap

I agree in a way, however , it all comes down to whether you like/ use the freespool option on your reels... the downfall to the MR3 is the lack of a freespool switch.... which I find a PITA when rigger fishing.... Other than that its a great reel.... for now I would say the MR2 is the 'top of the heap' if you like free spool, and MR3 if you don't!

quote:Originally posted by Spooled Again

screw your wife! I wish guys would have more balls now a days to not take so much sh!!!t from their wives. IF you can't be a man and go buy what you want.
I thought this thread was about Mooching Reels not wives.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

harsh words spooled....
let me guess you're single right ?
Must Be!

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

not everybody can dish out 500$ for a line holder
Agreed!

Which brings us to another point, the ridiculous price of metal single action reels here in BC.
Just what is so great about those units that they merit such a premium?
And Please don't give me any bull about "well if you want the best......"
A person can buy an Avet or even better Accurate metal reels for the same price or less that does the same job but contains many many more times the moving parts and is proven to perform under stress from much stronger fish.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrac.htm

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrAvet.htm

just about what we like is all , single action reels are of the true west coast ocean sport fisher. myself i like cork drag reels smooth . not a big fan of level wind but each 2 there own . tight lines scottyboy

Ive been using the tyee reels by trophy for 4 years now at first the drag was different but now thats its worn in love them but as soon as you get them you need to grease the free spool knob in side and all the moving parts they dont come greased (what the %*&$) but as soon as they failed and I tore them apart found out why they work awsome now, heck of a lot cheaper than an islander!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

DB: as a reel adict, I own both.

Both Avet and Islander (and Accurate) have Aerospace machining as the core business w fishing reels as at least initially a side-line. Dunno if you have priced NC 3 and 5 Axis machines of late but w the grade finish we "demand" in Avets and Islanders, ticket to the game is about $250K USD, then add design, programs, cutters and somewhat skilled folks to run them....so to make all that investment payoff - you have to charge a bunch. The China knockoffs benefit from a design and brand that has been established, low labor costs, cheap capital, an artifically low exchange rate funded by Govt and let's be frank minimal environmental, social and labor laws. Still, I love the semi-free market - and yes I benefit from it EVERY day.

I think economy of scale has a LOT to do w street prices - there are a LOT more Tuna nuts than SA Moocher fans - the Islander is not well known South of Seattle (too bad, cause the experience is PRICELESS! As I recall Islander has made some 5000 MR2's. The Avet website shows a pallet load full of reels....

BTW, the Avets are not level winds, they are Lever drags w a very nice smooth and progressive drag. The small SX and MX make superb King reels and are also great for shallow water Hali and Ling. Near 15# of drag provides a great strike hookset. Checkout ifish.net, lots of Avet junkies there...

JD

Actually I am 7 years deep and my old lady baught me one for christmas one year and gift certificates towardsone another year even though I already had two.

Hello, folks.
I have used every type of reel except the Islander-type metal ones for trolling all over the island for all species.
A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of netting a tyee that a buddy fought on a wooden Peetz. Took me back to the sounds of my childhood when my dad used one. You truly feel the fish with one of these and the sound is awesome!
Now, I have 2 6" Peetz with braided line for offshore since they work well for hali or tyee.
For coho and sox I have a couple of 5" Peetz.
I am trying to find a used 4" Peetz to try with sox next year...
Peetz are available new or used and the guys in Victoria will tune a used one up for cheap.
On my boat we have levelwinds for our young kids; my wife likes the Shimano 2/4000 since she doesn't have to palm it as quickly.
Borrow a Peetz or put the old one in your collection into use, you might be surprised at how much you enjoy it!

drhook , where did you get the Shimano washers to modify the Daiwa M1+ drag system , my grandson bought me the newer model reel and you are right the drag is the s***s I can't throw it away it would hurt him bad so there I was sitting here thinking back that someone had mentioned this before in one of our threads I went looking and................. hey presto there you were !!!

Regards

AL

Shimano 4000's have been reliable for me..used for 3 seasons..about 90 days per season. No problems if you tighten the internals once in a while. I have used a friends islander..very nice..but when the bearings went 2 years after new..It was on his own dime....not cheap. The bearings are not lifetime warranty and the reel gets no where near the use mine do.

I would like to support local(islander) as well but there has got to be a cost over warrent that new qr trophy by tyee i put through the test this year I got them in june and I worked them very very hard ALL summer and into late sept the only trouble i had was one day pouring down rain the cork got a bit wet and I had to take it apart and re oil the cork good as new again (it was my fault lack of matenance 3 months of use) should have know better!!!!1
But I tell you what a beautiful reel great drag on it and smooth was very impressed with them will get 2 more for the following year thats for sure for the price cant go wrong!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Alley cat - I got those drag washers from Bill Clinton @ Bill's Reel Reparirs in Nanaimo.
e-mail wclinton@shaw.ca
756-0653
You need two slightly different washers. One has a slightly different inside daimeter. I think they were about a $1 each. I purchased 10 of each so I'm good for many many years now.

Thanks drhook , I will be up there Tuesday sometime and will do the same as you and get a supply to last me into my 80's and that ought to do it !

AL

Currently using Shimano 1000's and 3000's, before that it was Daiwa 175's. I find the smaller reels nicer to handle. Guess there wasn't much demand 'cuz nothing that size being made now.

Back