Mooching Reel Opinions?

Before anybody even says it: Yes, I know the Islanders are the best. I 'd really like one/several, but my wife would KILL me if I dropped $500 on a reel right now!

So, it pretty much comes down to the Shimano 2000GT or 4000GT versus the Daiwa M-One.

I've got a couple of Daiwas right now and I'm not thrilled with the drag. I've stripped one before, and it seems like I have to REALLY crank down on them when downrigger fishing.

Is the Shimano an improvement in the drag department? Which is better - the big or small Shimano?

temple fork outfitter mouchers are great, cork drag $260 look alot like islanders . i have 2 and just love them . i have played with islander mooching reels before , mr3 as well .they are better but not by much . tight lines scotty

before i had diawa reels they suck ,the drag wasn`t there 1 click then it was then gone "junk" shimano reels are better but i threw 1 in the chuck once as well . tight lines scottyboy

Trophy makes a Islander knock-off for half the price (sells for $300). They are Silver instead of Gold. I use the Shimano 4000 with the waterproof drag. It is Simple, tough as nails and inexpensive.

I've got the GT 2000 and GT 4000 Shimanos and the Daiwa M-1... the Shimanos rock, especially the 4000 since it has a much greater line capacity than the 2000. I didn't like the drag on the Daiwa either.

Another reel I really like for the pure sport of it is the Peetz stainless steel model, very unique sound, have a couple of those, one on a Halirod makes a man outta you if you can handle it bringing one up from 350 ft.

Having said all that, I now have the Islander MR-3, which has, hands down...the best drag ever!! It's a light reel, weighing less than the smaller arbor MR-2, has greater line capacity & retrieval speed.[8D]

I have to say the islanders are pretty sweet.... I love playing fish on those... but as some of the guys have said above if your not into dropping 500 on a reel look at the tfo pacific.... great knock off for 299!!! They are more to maintain than the m-1 or M4000 however. I would choose the Shimano M4000 over the M2000 and the Daiwa M-1 hands down!

I agree that the Diawa M1 mooching reels come with **** drag washers; however, if you replace the lousy soft felt washers with shimano's tougher teflon type washers you can save yourself lots of money by purchasing the cheaper diawa reels. Both drag systems are identical, its just the type of washer diawa has chosen to use doesn't stand up to more than a week of trolling type situations.
Although I like shimano, I just don't like paying a ton extra for their name.

I have Shimano 2000 and they work well for me with enough room for lots of line, never been spooled. I think price between Diawa and Shimano 2000 is pretty close. Maybe Diawa's handles are slight better but I would go with Shimano for the money.

Hello,

I had the 2000GT's (3) took them back for 4000GT's (3) difference in price $10.00 each. Well worth it. 4000 GT water proof drag system, paddle rudder handle awesome and minimal maintanence. I have had my 4000GT's for about 4 years and no issues at all. Just when you buy them tighten all the screws etc etc and in a couple weeks tighten them again.

I have an Islander MR2 which I won and have used MR2 lots but I still prefer the 4000GT's especailly for the price. You do not need the islanders to catch fish. I am thinking about swithing to the peetz 4 inch wood for $49.00 for the fun of it. Awesome catching a fish on this setup.

i have 2 - 4000gt and 1 - TFO pacific, and having used both
i think my preference is the Shimano.
i find the drag on the TFO reel is too sensitive and has to be
adjusted constantly.

r s cravin i felt the same last year about my tfo pacific then i took it apart cleaned and oiled her all up , wow what a difference . cork drag is sweet now , will never go back . only up [8D]tight lines scottyboy. oh ya alway back off the drag 2 nothing when not fishing [^]

quote:Originally posted by scottyboy

oh ya alway back off the drag 2 nothing when not fishing [^]
haha ill have to remember that one...

If you want to spend a little more money try check out the shimano TLD 15 you can pick them up on ebay for about $100. I have been using the tlds for years and they are great reels. They have a slide drag rather than star it take a little getting use to but it works great. If you do leave the drag off while not fishing the drags last much longer.

Agree w most posts, MR3 is top of the heap, fished one extensively this season :) Then MR2's, I looked at an Islander copy - I think that reel was defective..so partly unfair comparison.., drag was 100% on or off. Next I would put the Hardy Longstone, no longer made - but can be had for 100-200 ish used. Combo cast and stamped reel w smaller than Islander cork drag, also lighter than an islander. Next I would put the Shimano. I have the smaller Peetz and have caught some great fish on it - nothing looks like it :) !!! Have fun.

JD

u can still buy a longstone bran new in the box . tight lines scottyboy

quote:Originally posted by scottyboy

u can still buy a longstone bran new in the box . tight lines scottyboy

Longstone II new production or the old ones? I found two at berrys (old) about 7 years ago now..so I guess they are out there - which is good :)

screw your wife! I wish guys would have more balls now a days to not take so much sh!!!t from their wives. IF you can't be a man and go buy what you want. IF you don't have the balls then just take money out in cash slowly over the week or two then go get yourself a islander. Theres just nothing I'd rather hook one on.

Back