Mooching/centerpin reel newbie need some guidance

sekiuking1

I just recently purchased an inexpensive shimano mooching reel and was wondering two questions that maybe the experts on this forum can help me with. Firstly, what size lb test line should I use for summer kings and secondly do I put on a backing type line on the spool first before the mono? Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much. I have always used level winds in the past and was really looking for a new experience when fighting a salmon.

sekiuking: You should put some backing on your reel. Dacron is usually used and the test should be stronger than your mainline, go 30 to 80 lb. Put enough backing on so that you leave room for 250 to 300 yards of your favorite mono. The smaller re-spooling spools usually are somewhere around the 250-300 yard range.

As far as line test you will find that people will be fairly equally split between using 25 lb. or 30 lb. test. I prefer to use 25 lb. in the winter to reduce the drag from the line when fishing deep. In the summer I use both 25 and 30 lb. line on various rod/reel combos.

I'm sure you will enjoy playing a nice Chinook on the single action reel you are testing.

...Rob

A fair number of posters here like to use braid on their mooching reels. If you're often fishing deep on downriggers, the lack of stretch makes a difference. A 30-40 ft topshot of mono for a little give in the line around the boat makes a good setup. Definitely need backing if you decide to use braid.

Back