Mistakes

Some good stories! Luckily to date, I have yet to forget the plug (knocking on wood here as I type).

One simple, silly, and relatively cheap one, thankfully. Trolling out in Bamfield and was a busy time with manning rods, battling some wind, trying to stay on tack, hurry to get the lines back down, etc. Maybe had a beer or two as well? Anyways, changing out flasher and anchovy head for a favourite set up. Undo the gear on the line and toss into boat. Get distracted listening to buddy on other side of the boat and as I turn back to my side to set gear, rod is in one hand and new flasher/teaser head combo in the other. Throw the flasher overboard and slowly see it sink away. Oops - jackass forgot to attach flasher to mainline. There goes $20.
I've done that more than once. Thankfully usually on a lake with just a lure, not the whole flasher and all.

When using salmon point resort marina wait for the little creek that forms to fill the marina after low tide ( it’s dredged out so can’t be used at low tide because the marina is deep but not the entrance)
Wait for enough water so u can leave your leg down bumped into the dock as a floated in on the tide to the applause of about twenty boaters waiting to leave
Not even a scratch on the boat it hit the bow eye for trailer strap
But the old ego ate some crow ! Yummy lol

Brand new boat after having had my previous boat for 10 years and set up perfectly... day 1 fishing get the first rod out and hook up the flasher.... dammit forgot lures. the next day out, triple checked and lures on board. Set everything up and turn to where i used to keep my scotty clips, curse under my breath and bring everything back in. day 3 now and this time I have everything, go for a nice troll and hook up on a sunken line. manage to retrieve everything, only problem is when I cut my line to untangle things i for some reason decided to carefully set my knife of 10 years in the water and watch it swim to the bottom. God I love fishing!

Some good stories! Luckily to date, I have yet to forget the plug (knocking on wood here as I type).

One simple, silly, and relatively cheap one, thankfully. Trolling out in Bamfield and was a busy time with manning rods, battling some wind, trying to stay on tack, hurry to get the lines back down, etc. Maybe had a beer or two as well? Anyways, changing out flasher and anchovy head for a favourite set up. Undo the gear on the line and toss into boat. Get distracted listening to buddy on other side of the boat and as I turn back to my side to set gear, rod is in one hand and new flasher/teaser head combo in the other. Throw the flasher overboard and slowly see it sink away. Oops - jackass forgot to attach flasher to mainline. There goes $20.

I’ve done this one too.
I remember that feeling of watching the flasher sink. Funny one to think about!

Running out from false creek to the bell one year, I was a bit overconfident with 4 buddies on board. Cruising at 23knots a bit too close to the sandbank. All of a sudden the boat came to an abrupt, but soft halt. Damnit. Beached it. It kicked my leg up a few inches so a buddy hopped in and easily pushed us off the bank.
Cleaned the sea strainer and off I went. Could have been much worse. I give that bank a wide berth now.
Strange thing was that I was still in “blue” water according to my GPS. Not making excuses.. lesson learned!

Running out from false creek to the bell one year, I was a bit overconfident with 4 buddies on board. Cruising at 23knots a bit too close to the sandbank. All of a sudden the boat came to an abrupt, but soft halt. Damnit. Beached it. It kicked my leg up a few inches so a buddy hopped in and easily pushed us off the bank.
Cleaned the sea strainer and off I went. Could have been much worse. I give that bank a wide berth now.
Strange thing was that I was still in “blue” water according to my GPS. Not making excuses.. lesson learned!
That thing is well beyond what the charts say now. Imagine living in Florida and you need that local knowledge almost everywhere you go.

This mistake was just a few days ago. Newish to me boat, pulled it out of the water for the first time to clean it. The trailer I have isn’t set up properly (which I knew when I bought the boat), it’s essentially too long for the boat and the winch need to be raised so the bow eye can get snugged up to the roller. So, knowing that, I didn’t crank the boat up far enough. It was more than secure for the short ride home, but when I unhooked the truck it created an approx 6000lbs teeter totter. It happened pretty slow so Fortunately I was able to park my 200lb butt on the tongue fast enough to not hit anything. The next challenge was yelling loud enough over the still running diesel to get my visiting old man to come move the truck the little bit that the trailer had shifted to get it back on the hitch, that’s where it stayed for the night. Boat was cleaned the next morning and dumped back in the water. Trailer modifications got moved way up the to do list.

Never! Especially not at 18 getting back from camp and launching at the lake with a few hot ladies.
HA! Too funny! Reminds me of one of my FUs involving just 1 young lady in a bikini with her own floatation devices; distraction and the tide coming in. I was 20. Nothing to do with boat plugs, anyways. Another story for another thread perhaps. :)

Besides the forgotten plug and tie-downs errors I had one a couple of years ago that still irritates me whenever I recall it.
I have enough room in the rear hatch to carry prawn and crab traps, two baskets of line and two buoys. There isn’t a lot of floor room to put things down when the hatch is open and I’m pulling them out so I put a 24” weighted Bauer trap on its side on the swim platform just for a minute until I could close the hatch. Well a wake hit us just as I was going to reach for it and it tipped over and sank in a hurry. 🤬🤬🤬🤬. I won’t even put a trap on the gunnel now without a line tied to it.
The only silver lining is that I can fit two 18” traps in there so I mostly put down both on a string and it has seemed to increase my prawn numbers.

In my early 20's, I de-hooked a fish with a nice pair of pliers, then immediately tossed the pliers overboard. I guess I was so used to tossing freed terminals overboard, I just didn't think. Or maybe I was practicing for future dementia. There also might have been beer onboard, being young and foolish in that regard.
It's amazing that we otherwise clever folks can do the most stupid things:
We had a great haul of prawns and started heading them while on the boat. I was enthusiastically on-task when my new son-in-law bravely asked me "What are you doing?"

I quickly realized I had been throwing heads into the bucket and the tails overboard! There went my carefully developed image as a competent fisherman...

Last edited:
A few years ago I put the boat in the water for the first time after winter to moore it for the year. The wife was waiting at the boat launch with the truck and trailer so I was in a hurry to get it into the shed and get back to the truck. I pulled the boat into the shed and tied it off, everything seemed good, I double checked on the trailer that I put the plug in. I leave the shed and lock the door, halfway down the dock something in my pea-brain tells me to go back and make sure I have the toilet valve closed as I replaced it during the winter. Back into the shed and hop on the boat, open the cuddy up and I can smell burning wires. I jump down and open the service hatch where the valves are located. There is 4 inches of water in the bottom of the boat and something jammed the bilge pump causing it overheat and short out. Both head valves are shut so I’m a little frantic how this much water could be in the boat. Turn on the batteries and put the engines down so I can get under the rear seat and look in the bilge. As soon as I open it up there is a 1” stream of water flowing through the raw water pickup valve-block. I had disconnected all the pumps (wash down and baitwell) so they didn’t freeze over the winter. Left the valve in the open position and never reconnected the lines to the pumps. Fired the boat up and rushed back to the launch hoping a fire wasn’t about to start with the front bilge pump. Valuable lessons learned that day to say the least.

We had a great haul of prawns and started heading them while on the boat. I was enthusiastically on-task when my new son-in-law bravely asked me "What are you doing?"

I quickly realized I had been throwing heads into the bucket and the tails overboard! There went my carefully developed image as a competent fisherman...
And out at Cree Island, I had a tyee-size salmon on. Same son-in-law advises that we net it, as it comes to the boat the 2nd time. I say no, it's still too hot to net.
On the third run it screams off, again.

I'm feeling quite smug until a seal surfaces with "my" salmon in it's mouth. S.i.L shakes his head and stows the net. We were both very quiet for the next two hours.

I had about 30 prawns in a ice cream pale and the boat was basically just idling in gear home. Went to put some fresh water into the pale with the prawns still in it and obviously it collapsed from the current and we went home with 4 prawns. Almost through them back because whats the point of 4 prawns LOL. Wife wasn't happy.

OUCH !!!!!

I've always known that i would forget my plug so right from day one i have a carabiner on one of my rear boat straps with the plug clipped onto the release lever. So if i remember to remove the straps i "should" remember to put the plug in. 10 years in i've only forgotten once but caught myself right away.

Did one tonight at the launch. Had the plug in. Stern straps off. Safety chain off. Back it down, tap the brakes to slide it off the trailer. Doesn't go. Give it a few more taps, each a little more firmly. Dawns on me winch strap still attached. I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!

I caught fish and things went well on the first extended trip on my new to me boat. When it was over and I pulled the boat to rinse the motors and drive home, I didn't realize the throttle end of the tiller on my big motor was caught under a seat base. She busted while lowering it on the power tilt. I pay closer attention now.

Did one tonight at the launch. Had the plug in. Stern straps off. Safety chain off. Back it down, tap the brakes to slide it off the trailer. Doesn't go. Give it a few more taps, each a little more firmly. Dawns on me winch strap still attached. I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!

I did that few months ago. Lol. Luckily no one was around hahaha.

I did that few months ago. Lol. Luckily no one was around hahaha.
Oh there were people around, including one guy who was quite clearly eager to pull his boat and I was in the way. Sorry if you're reading this bud. I'll be less dumb next time.

Last edited:
Back