Missing 8 Prawn Traps...ouch!

Bought some replacement traps and this time I used about 650 ft of lines in a 250-375 area with a big Scotsman. All good. I have to admit though there have been a couple of times where I thought I had lost my traps again only to find them floating in a different and much deeper area half submerged. The traps along with a 15 lb weight anchor must have fallen of the edge, drifted way but was saved by the Scotsman. Looking back, very good chance the previous traps might not have been stolen. That said, a buddy of mine did confront a couple of guys in a 18' aluminum boat trying to lift my traps around the Whytecliff Park area last week.

I'd say probably thieves, when we prawn we don't usually let our traps out of sight, we normally try to troll close by and keep an eye on them the whole time, and we don't leave any of our traps over night anymore

Its surprising how thiefs get blamed when it could be dropping your traps on a ledge where they might drop off into the deep and float away. Also, if you drop your traps too close to others the floats will entangle. By the time the other fisher untangles the mess and redrops your trap.... again it could be in the deep where they float away.
Also tugs and tows. They are not going to go around your floats. They'll go right through them taking everything with them.

Its surprising how thiefs get blamed when it could be dropping your traps on a ledge where they might drop off into the deep and float away. Also, if you drop your traps too close to others the floats will entangle. By the time the other fisher untangles the mess and redrops your trap.... again it could be in the deep where they float away.
Also tugs and tows. They are not going to go around your floats. They'll go right through them taking everything with them.
No argument here. Like I said, good chance some of my traps might have fallen off a ledge and became submerged because my floats were not bouyant enough to hold the weight;however, my friend did stopped a couple of guys from lifting my traps just this past week around the horseshoe Bay Area near whytecliff park. Thieves are definitely out there so just be careful and keep an eye open for anything suspicious.

Back