Mink Problem

porcupine

I've had a mink crapping and peeing in my boat for the last week. I've tried moth balls as a mink repellent. Any other suggestions?

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

I've had a mink crapping and peeing in my boat for the last week. I've tried moth balls as a mink repellent. Any other suggestions?

cp-longmink-1.jpg

Possible solution. :D

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

My wife already has a coat like that. Any other suggestions?
You can try leaving your radio on a talk show? I have done that to get rid of otters. Don't like the sound of voices. Luckily I have never had a mink problem.

Or you could try something like this:
http://www.qawebsites.com/buyphantomdeterrents.htm

I do like Jim's answer the best! :D
Rumor has it, mink makes good crab bait? [}:)]

I wonder if those ultrasonic rodent repellers would do anything?
http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/pestcontrol-rodent.html#pest_repeller_4_pack

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

I wonder if those ultrasonic rodent repellers would do anything?
http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/pestcontrol-rodent.html#pest_repeller_4_pack

Sorry, but it has been proven that “Ultrasonic rodent/pest repellers, don’t work, even on rodents and pests!

My thought is put a sound out that is a predatory in nature to the animal (i.e. they don’t like humans and they shouldn’t like the sounds of a predatory animal such as a cougar)?

The one that I am talking about:</u>
“The sounds are presented at timed intervals at night. The intervals were researched and tested to match the attention spans of animals, to have a surprise effect in the obscurity of the night. They think a cougar is lurking about and soon associate the area as deadly dangerous towards them and avoid the area entirely. The targeted pests are primarily nocturnal in nature so the deterrents do their jobs at night causing little notice to people and day oriented animals. The overall result is large areas of fear and abandonment for the pests and no adverse effects to people and their animals. An amazing balance! The deterrents are very easy to use and very effective. They are the best thing going for a great many applications to be rid of pest nocturnal wildlife ranging from skunk to black bear. They are apparently the world’s best coyote deterrent... with a near perfect record of providing help against these killer wild canines. Just a few dollars worth of batteries provides many months of protection for several acres of area... guaranteed!”

The Ultrasonic repellers: </u>
“Ultrasonic repellers are quite popular. The manufacturers claim that their devices produce ultrasonic noise so aversive to pests (including rats) that it drives the pests away. These devices are appealing to consumers because they are silent to human ears and don't involve traps or poison.

Ultrasonic collars are supposed to drive fleas off dogs and cats. Ultrasonic devices are supposed to chase away rodent, bird, and insect pests. Ultrasonic emitters on cars are supposed warn large animals away from roads. Lastly, manufacturers frequntly claim that these devices are safe for pets. Are these claims true?

Do ultrasonic pest repellers drive away pests?</u>
No. Controlled studies have shown that ultrasonic pest repellers are ineffective at driving away wild rats and other pests. Specifically, ultrasound is no more effective than audible sound (Bomford and O'Brien 1990).

Ultrasonic collars do not drive fleas off of cats and dogs. Ultrasound does not drive away fleas or cause any change in flea activity patterns (Brown and Lewis 1991, Koehler et al. 1989). Ultrasonic cat collars have no effect on flea egg-laying, development of larvae, or flea mortality (Hinkel et al. 1990). Ultrasonic collars made no difference to the number of fleas on cats (Dryden et al. 1989).

Ultrasound does not keep wild animals away from roads. Ultrasonic devices did nothing to alter the behavior of moose (Muzzi and Bisset 1990), mule deer (Romin and Dalton 1992), or kangaroos (Bender 2001).

Ultrasonic devices are ineffective at repelling pests. Ultrasonic pest repellers do not repel cockroaches (Gold et al. 1984, Ballard et al. 1984), mosquitoes (Sylla and Kremsner 2000, Foster and Lutes 1985), white-tailed deer (Belant et al. 1998, Curtis et al. 1997), bats (Hurley and Fenton 1980), cats (Mills et al. 2000), starlings (Bomford 1990), pigeons (Griffiths 1988, Woronecki 1988), and many other bird species (Hamershock 1992).

Ultrasonic pest repellers do little to repel unwanted rodents. Rodents may be driven away for a few minutes or a few days, but they tend to return to their nesting and feeding areas even in the presence of ultrasound (Pierce 1993, Timm 1994). Ultrasound has not been shown to drive rodents out of buildings or to cause above-normal levels of mortality (Timm 1994).

Why don't ultrasonic pest repellers work?</u>
Ultrasonic devices do not work because rodents rapidly become accustomed to repeated sounds (a process called habituation). Mice and rats learn that the ultrasound from the pest repeller isn't dangerous, so they gradually get used to it and return to their nesting and feeding areas.

In addition, ultrasound is quite weak and attenuates very rapidly with distance from the source (Lawrence and Simmons 1982). Half the energy of ultrasound produced by pest repellers is gone at 15 feet, and no energy remains at 30 feet. Ultrasound is therefore very short-range (Askham 1992).

Lastly, ultrasound is blocked by intervening objects like walls and furniture. Ultrasound cannot travel through these objects and cannot go around corners. Therefore, walls, doors, and furniture cast "sound shadows" behind them. Rats and mice can easily use these silent areas for auditory shelter, thus avoiding the ultrasound altogether.

It is possible to cause convulsions and permanent damage with ultrasound, but the intensity (loudness) of such sounds must be so great that they would damage humans and domestic animals as well. Commercial ultrasonic pest control devices do not produce sounds of such intensity (Timm 1994).”

Hey, but what do I know! :)

get one of those billy bass plaques that sings a song when something gets near itand place it strategicaly.im sure that. will scare away anything.or just set up a rattrap for it.good luck.

old pair of smelly leather work boots...leavem in the boat....works well

I could send you a tape of my mother inlaw. She scares the crap out of anything!

I am working on a solution for you. You still having the problem?
Charlie

The problem is not quite as bad now, but I haven't checked the boat in two days. I put a trail camera in the boat figuring the flash would scare the bugger away. It seems to have worked somewhat. I'll check later today and see if it's worked. I like the Billy Bass idea too.

I checked the boat today and the mink was back. He peed a little and a little bit of scat as well, but not as bad as before. I'm going to put Billy Bass in the boat this afternoon and see if that scares it.

I checked the boat today and the mink was back. He peed a little and a little bit of scat as well, but not as bad as before. I'm going to put Billy Bass in the boat this afternoon and see if that scares it.
I am working on a cd/dvd with cougar sounds... that should scare the h*ll out of it as a cougar is its predator, and should make it go away?

pm me if you are interested?

Not sure how many cougars we have hunting mink on a regular basis, especially when does are fawning, but try leaving a cup of your own **** on the spot chosen by the critter.. Why kill a battery when you can have a Luck and solve the problem.. It will work.-dirty:D

Ammonia is working for me.. but billybass would be more convenient-
less of a spill hazzard than leaving a cup of ammonia or **** in your boat.:D

Back