Might Be Looking For a Change

Some signals in the economy that are worrying. Finance costs are starting to catch up to those that are leveraged.
I think those startups like that always seem scammy. Get investor money and then the main stakeholders pull out before **** hits the fan. It sucks. Got lots of friends at Omicron which will have an interesting time while this gets sorted out as they were acquired a few years ago by nexii

Wrt nexxi, they appear to have gotten too far our over their skis and cash flow crunched. I wouldn't sound alarm bells in the economy over one incident however it's not a great look on balance.

Wrt nexxi, they appear to have gotten too far our over their skis and cash flow crunched. I wouldn't sound alarm bells in the economy over one incident however it's not a great look on balance.
I dunno if cash flow really existed. They didn’t have many projects using their panels. It didn’t take off just like many other click together style prefab buildings. In my mind, they were funded by investors but not making nearly enough product. I can only think of one A&w in Abbotsford that they did lol. Saw some decorative panels on another site but I haven’t seen anything else. Gotta do a lot more than that to be a billion dollar company

With that said, you definitely need a lot of investor cash to get one of these types of companies started and change the way we do everything. And I bet it will work out at some point for someone, but I’ve seen so many fail that I just don’t know when it will completely change the way we do things.

I appreciate that my man. It's been suggested by a few guys. I really just can't see myself investing so much time and effort into what amounts to a crapshoot at best.

Like @A-a-Ron said: Seem like you’ve got good knowledge (fishing annd construction) and a unique personality.

So, Do you look good in shorts and a tank top? That would really up the odds.

(Seemed to work for @michygoss getting off to a good start with her "Cabin On a Cliff" vids.)

Like @A-a-Ron said: Seem like you’ve got good knowledge (fishing annd construction) and a unique personality.

So, Do you look good in shorts and a tank top? That would really up the odds. Seemed to work for @michygoss getting off to a good start with her "Cabin On a Cliff" vids.
Well, I heard that dad bods were in. Soooo, maybe?

I dunno if cash flow really existed. They didn’t have many projects using their panels. It didn’t take off just like many other click together style prefab buildings. In my mind, they were funded by investors but not making nearly enough product. I can only think of one A&w in Abbotsford that they did lol. Saw some decorative panels on another site but I haven’t seen anything else. Gotta do a lot more than that to be a billion dollar company

Cash flow comes in a variety if flavors, and valuations are almost always based on "what if" scenarios. They start with product ideally with ip, raise a bunch if money to get the business off the ground and hopefully into revenue driven cash flow thanks to a whole pile of investors good nature. All the while the promo the **** out of the paper (private, public, debenture etc) hoping to flip the deal off to a hedge fund or whomever. Probably 1out of 10 make it... they're trying to raise 750k? Ya unlikely they will remain a going concern unfortunately.

Well, I heard that dad bods were in. Soooo, maybe?
My favorite Youtuber hired his brother full time and calls him "The Dad Bod" https://youngbloods.co/products/ybs-dad-bod-tee

I hear you on the sleepless nights and Zombi wife. Last night it felt like my six year old woke up 6 times with a his fever/cold (which I hope to hell isn't Strep).

Lots of days I feel like I can't go on being the walking dead/broke businessman, then I talk to guy running a 10 million a year operation who needs my help desperatly to get him a truck/HD Mechanic he can charge out at 180$ an hour in the north, we have a guy who can start next week thanks to my team that keeps me broke. Turns out he has been sold a solution by guys who can't make a living as lawyers or realtors so have started up a recruitment company and are under cutting me and will be out of business in the next 24 months. I just need to continue to do good work and forget about the people under cutting on pricing.

This stage of young kids only lasts a few more years! Finding the 20% of customers worth serving lasts a lifetime.

I reluctantly wanted to add some context to this thread, and my story...

About a year ago, my right hand man, Elliot, had an unbelievable stroke of bad luck. His wife, Aimee, fell victim to the Cancer lottery at the age of 37. Although they had a ton of support, both financially and from friends and family, she succumbed to her illness just after Christmas. The day after her only daughter's 2nd birthday. Since her diagnosis, he was still helping me out on a part-time basis and was absolutely critical in getting my last project over the line. It reminded me of how integral he was to this business. I always knew that. But I also now realized that it was the companionship that I missed most. I've always referred to him as my partner, and did as much as I could to keep him feeling the love and appreciation from my end. He was a massive part of the company. After Covid, I lost a couple of my key guys to the allure of Comox and a new wife. We were getting into our 40s and everyone's lives were changing. We were always a group of buddies that just grew up together building houses. With me being the only one crazy enough to deal with the clients. It was a lot of fun, we were a family. Some of the core group had been together since 2004, with the other half joining around 2012. So as much as this new reality has had to do with the economy and the work drying up, I think it had more to do with the break-up of my group of buddies at work. I've never been the best business owner, but I was dedicated to my friends, and I enjoyed going to work. After Elliot's full-time departure, I truly understood how hard this work is, and that having a team behind me is absolutely essential to my success. Elliot is now navigating this next phase of life, and I want to be there to support him. Maybe this is why I'm so on the fence about what to do. We've talked about him coming back to work, I just haven't had the heart to admit that I have no idea what he'd be returning to. I'm sure we'll figure it out though.

Anyway, the point of all of this. To anyone that has a business or is thinking about starting a business. Keep the good people around you happy. Life changes fast and those people might not always be around. Going at it alone is not easy.

A bit of Aimee's story here...

Fak
I’m sorry to hear that
That **** tears me up.

I reluctantly will post this too

We have also won that lottery and are still fighting, but I’m not gonna get into that. Even thought we feel lucky now, the struggle and battle doesn’t end. It’s a constant struggle to put yourself in a positive mind state. It’s life altering and things will never be the same. I think about it all the time, spend countless hours staring into space, thinking how to fix it, but can’t.
Everything changes, your perspective on life changes and it affects everyone around you.
Your friend needs support, someone to grief with. Lots of people shy away from grieving with others because it doesn’t feel good and it takes a lot of time to heal. People get impatient and just want to have fun. Your circle has a long road of recovery ahead, I feel for you guys. Going thru this together will make it easier. Take baby steps, one day at a time. Elliot will eventually need to figure out his path forward, moving forward with people you love is always the better way.

I hope you guys can stick together thru this

😔

Last edited:
Fak
I’m sorry to hear that
That **** tears me up.

I reluctantly will post this too

We have also won that lottery and are still fighting, but I’m not gonna get into that. Even thought we feel lucky now, the struggle and battle doesn’t end. It’s a constant struggle to put yourself in a positive mind state. It’s life altering and things will never be the same. I think about it all the time, spend countless hours staring into space, thinking how to fix it, but can’t.
Everything changes, your perspective on life changes and it affects everyone around you.
Your friend needs support, someone to grief with. Lots of people shy away from grieving with others because it doesn’t feel good and it takes a lot of time to heal. People get impatient and just want to have fun. Your circle has a long road of recovery ahead, I feel for you guys. Going thru this together will make it easier. Take baby steps, one day at a time. Elliot will eventually need to figure out his path forward, moving forward with people you love is always the better way.

I hope you guys can stick together thru this

😔
I'm sorry to hear man. Thanks for the kind words.

Much love, boys.
Jon, it’s a competitive world, and nothing seems to come easy.
Don’t worry about looking for the change, the change is inevitable… It will find you!
Be willing to allow it to come to you and just make the best choices with the opportunity you are given. Don’t second guess yourself or look back.
However things change take care of yourself, exercise, read, pound the old lady as much as possible. Maybe a little snippy snippy first tho.

Much love, boys.
Jon, it’s a competitive world, and nothing seems to come easy.
Don’t worry about looking for the change, the change is inevitable… It will find you!
Be willing to allow it to come to you and just make the best choices with the opportunity you are given. Don’t second guess yourself or look back.
However things change take care of yourself, exercise, read, pound the old lady as much as possible. Maybe a little snippy snippy first tho.
🤣🤣 you’re a funny *ucker!

I reluctantly wanted to add some context to this thread, and my story...

About a year ago, my right hand man, Elliot, had an unbelievable stroke of bad luck. His wife, Aimee, fell victim to the Cancer lottery at the age of 37. Although they had a ton of support, both financially and from friends and family, she succumbed to her illness just after Christmas. The day after her only daughter's 2nd birthday. Since her diagnosis, he was still helping me out on a part-time basis and was absolutely critical in getting my last project over the line. It reminded me of how integral he was to this business. I always knew that. But I also now realized that it was the companionship that I missed most. I've always referred to him as my partner, and did as much as I could to keep him feeling the love and appreciation from my end. He was a massive part of the company. After Covid, I lost a couple of my key guys to the allure of Comox and a new wife. We were getting into our 40s and everyone's lives were changing. We were always a group of buddies that just grew up together building houses. With me being the only one crazy enough to deal with the clients. It was a lot of fun, we were a family. Some of the core group had been together since 2004, with the other half joining around 2012. So as much as this new reality has had to do with the economy and the work drying up, I think it had more to do with the break-up of my group of buddies at work. I've never been the best business owner, but I was dedicated to my friends, and I enjoyed going to work. After Elliot's full-time departure, I truly understood how hard this work is, and that having a team behind me is absolutely essential to my success. Elliot is now navigating this next phase of life, and I want to be there to support him. Maybe this is why I'm so on the fence about what to do. We've talked about him coming back to work, I just haven't had the heart to admit that I have no idea what he'd be returning to. I'm sure we'll figure it out though.

Anyway, the point of all of this. To anyone that has a business or is thinking about starting a business. Keep the good people around you happy. Life changes fast and those people might not always be around. Going at it alone is not easy.

A bit of Aimee's story here...
I’m really sorry about your buddy and his young family.
12 pages and now you’re telling us. Man, it’s always about the human connections and how we survive and thrive together. Or in your buddy’s case, how we grieve and heal together. Been thru this myself and like Sttr said, there’s no shortcut.
I now have a better appreciation for the title of this thread.

I understand Elliot's situation. I came home to find my first wife in the throws of a debilitating stroke, She ended up existing, not living, in various facilities for just over three years. We were luckier than Elliot in that we didn't have children. We were married 19 years.

He is in a tough position because everything has changed for him and now he needs a career with regular fixed hours so he can be with his daughter. It is so difficult to get the long term perspective back in gear/

It is very hard when you are over-tired physically and being an emotionally a zombie to get on with life.

I struggled, I can't image the challenge of having a 2 year old in the mix.

Your friendship with him is a key part of his recovery. In many ways it is better you two just have a lifelong friendship now and not the additional complication of an ongoing working relationship.

I understand Elliot's situation. I came home to find my first wife in the throws of a debilitating stroke, She ended up existing, not living, in various facilities for just over three years. We were luckier than Elliot in that we didn't have children. We were married 19 years.

He is in a tough position because everything has changed for him and now he needs a career with regular fixed hours so he can be with his daughter. It is so difficult to get the long term perspective back in gear/

It is very hard when you are over-tired physically and being an emotionally a zombie to get on with life.

I struggled, I can't image the challenge of having a 2 year old in the mix.

Your friendship with him is a key part of his recovery. In many ways it is better you two just have a lifelong friendship now and not the additional complication of an ongoing working relationship.
I actually tend to agree with you, Bill. These projects take a lot out of you. Client's can be pretty demanding. He's always seemed to thrive off of it though. He's probably one of the hardest working people I've ever known. I've had clients text me in the past saying thanks for sending Elliot on Sunday night to clear the blockage or check the panel etc. But I had no idea we even got the call. My concern would be that he falls into the "working hard" routine which would take him away from dealing with things the right away. I think his view is that working with me would allow him more flexibility with time off, late starts etc. Which of course is what he would get if that's where we landed. We'll have an honest chat before I make any decisions, I already promised him that.

The economy is still not performing but it’s not all doom and gloom. We’re engaged with one of the municipalities in the mainland in some tech related work and I can tell you that they have a massive pipeline of capital projects to build new facilities or upgrade the ones that they currently have.
One area of expertise that’s in heavy demand is facility management. Do a quick google search to see how other large west coast cities are approaching this and that will show you the size of the opportunity in BC. There’s a lot of transferable skills that makes you and your team a prime candidate for this transition. BCIT has a good certification program that also provides a good networking opportunity. I strongly recommend taking a training course and finding opportunities to explore the extended market. Reset your view of the world as things have massively changed since the pandemic. Investors are looking to minimize their risk while public sector is scrambling to keep up with population growth. One could smell the money here.

Like others suggested, getting in some strata agreements with hospitals or residential buildings would open the door. Don’t forget that you also have local references that could help you in this new but related line of work.

Have a strategy. Don’t go out of your core competency and try to gradually transition to something new as opposed to making a big jump. You still need to support a young family and also carry your team through this so there’s not a lot of room to gamble. Don’t distract yourself with things that have a short shelf life in our socio-economical climate. Leverage your skills and network to correct the course and you’ll be good. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back