Might Be Looking For a Change

a friend of mine is retiring from a company who builds custom homes, he is there site/construction manager. they are 3 builds behind now and dont want him to leave. i will have a conversation with him if you like.

Man… it’s gonna be tough making big money and picking your own schedule working for someone else. Kids, wife, big boat, house in Van, I’m figuring you need 200k a year to get by? So many advantages of running your own ship. There’s so much work out there, maybe you just need to tweak your company a bit, change direction to more smaller jobs like others mentioned.

8 pages bro. Somethings working for ya. You gotta figure out how to monetize the skill or ability to create interest around a post like this one ………that’s frankly not that interesting (That’s a compliment). 5 why analysis might lead you to a path you need to follow. I totally changed careers at 45 years old. Went into something I had no previous experience in at all. I was scared shitless, but, it turned out to be the best business/personal financial decision in my life. Peak earning years are kinda the 45-60 range.

8 pages bro. Somethings working for ya. You gotta figure out how to monetize the skill or ability to create interest around a post like this one ………that’s frankly not that interesting (That’s a compliment). 5 why analysis might lead you to a path you need to follow. I totally changed careers at 45 years old. Went into something I had no previous experience in at all. I was scared shitless, but, it turned out to be the best business/personal financial decision in my life. Peak earning years are kinda the 45-60 range.
I did a career change at 45 too. Shook me a bit but I persevered through a new direction in many aspects, new friends, contacts, how I worked my day. Left many behind but not by design. Interestingly, it affected some friends and family to where they did a career change as well after they saw me reinvent myself. Some could not comprehend ever making a change.

I did a career change at 45 too. Shook me a bit but I persevered through a new direction in many aspects, new friends, contacts, how I worked my day. Left many behind but not by design. Interestingly, it affected some friends and family to where they did a career change as well after they saw me reinvent myself. Some could not comprehend ever making a change.

What did you guys go to and from? ...if you'd like to share.

Cheers.

a friend of mine is retiring from a company who builds custom homes, he is there site/construction manager. they are 3 builds behind now and dont want him to leave. i will have a conversation with him if you like.
That would be great. Thanks

What did you guys go to and from? ...if you'd like to share.

Cheers.
I went from glazing into real estate. I had my own small business for a number of years in the glazing space. After I made the change to real estate, I noticed there were some similarities, such things as dealing with contracts, doing estimations, working with other professions.

My skilled trade background has been a big advantage in real estate, though, knowing how something is built and put together, systems, appliances, etc. Especially when doing a walk-through before listing someone’s property or giving them an evaluation. Knowledge is power, clients love it.

The real estate agent i used was a former builder, built a couple schools and residential buildings ect. When he took out took look at places, he noticed issues with walls, one the roof was sagging down and he went into the attic and could see the truss failing. I really appreciated his build knowledge and got us into a solid house.

The real estate agent i used was a former builder, built a couple schools and residential buildings ect. When he took out took look at places, he noticed issues with walls, one the roof was sagging down and he went into the attic and could see the truss failing. I really appreciated his build knowledge and got us into a solid house.
That’s what my background helps me with all the time, however, I have to be careful not to act like a building inspector, because that can get me into trouble.

If you are looking to just be an employee and not have the highs and lows of owning your own business I would recommend BC Hydro. There are upgrades to buildings and new builds happening province wide and although most of the hands on work is contracted out to large companies, Hydro has project managers that oversee the work.

Man… it’s gonna be tough making big money and picking your own schedule working for someone else. Kids, wife, big boat, house in Van, I’m figuring you need 200k a year to get by? So many advantages of running your own ship. There’s so much work out there, maybe you just need to tweak your company a bit, change direction to more smaller jobs like others mentioned.
I need a wife that makes 200k a year . That way I can get a bigger boat and fish more often.
One can dream

Finding a wife who makes $200k plus and also is into guys who often smell like fish and make questionable financial decisions sounds like a pipe dream compared to the lotto 🤣
My friend and I both hooked doctors, I threw mine back and he got married. He’s Divorced now and dating a teacher and much happier. You have to make sacrifices to make big money. The dream of only fans/youtube or anything at 4 hours a week is BS. Find a job that you can sleep at night, pay the bills and take lots of time off and don’t pay too much taxes and fish lots and don’t give any thought to how you smell except for date night!

My friend and I both hooked doctors, I threw mine back and he got married. He’s Divorced now and dating a teacher and much happier. You have to make sacrifices to make big money. The dream of only fans/youtube or anything at 4 hours a week is BS. Find a job that you can sleep at night, pay the bills and take lots of time off and don’t pay too much taxes and fish lots and don’t give any thought to how you smell except for date night!
There’s so much survivorship bias out there that skews people’s expectations. For every 4 hour work week person making bank there are thousands of failed entrepreneurs, over worked and stressed out workaholic professionals etc. Most people I know are pretty intelligent and super hard working and none of them are rich. A great book on this subject is “Fooled by Randomness” By Nicholas Taleb

Back