Might Be Looking For a Change

There’s a bit of a science to understanding how the YouTube ranking algorithms work. If you figure that out then you have a better chance. For me, I’m in a somewhat similar tangent to @Rain City. Been at my tech job for 25+ years, been thrown under the bus a couple of times due to politics within the company. So I’m done, need a change. But they have me by the golden balls. Hard to move
to copper balls with less responsibility. And if I try and make a lateral or higher move the money may be the same possibly better but the responsibility and duties goes up 10fold to my current role. I’d never get out fishin if that were the case. So instead I’m trying to branch out, try for alternate revenue streams that on their own may not supplement a full income, but would help keep my sanity and perhaps fund my dream of owning a silverstreak one day.
Sounds very similar indeed

There’s a bit of a science to understanding how the YouTube ranking algorithms work. If you figure that out then you have a better chance. For me, I’m in a somewhat similar tangent to @Rain City. Been at my tech job for 25+ years, been thrown under the bus a couple of times due to politics within the company. So I’m done, need a change. But they have me by the golden balls. Hard to move
to copper balls with less responsibility. And if I try and make a lateral or higher move the money may be the same possibly better but the responsibility and duties goes up 10fold to my current role. I’d never get out fishin if that were the case. So instead I’m trying to branch out, try for alternate revenue streams that on their own may not supplement a full income, but would help keep my sanity and perhaps fund my dream of owning a silverstreak one day.
For sure understanding the recommendation algorithm is a must if you’re taking it seriously. Either way, you still have to create engaging, high quality content people want to watch, and honestly not everyone is capable of that, or getting their skills to that level in a timeframe that makes it make sense for an alternate revenue stream. Not to say that applies to anyone here.

What’s your background in tech? There are opportunities in B2B SaaS from the research I have done for my own career, but the trick is finding the right niche and again, creating something people want to use.

Last edited:
@Rain City There is a dearth of qualified maintenance contractors serving strata residential in the lower mainland. Projects range from large to small, and the opportunity to access clients within a building for major renovations would be omnipresent.

Reach out to a few local strata management firms and see what opportunities are out there.
All work is budgeted up front, and invoice payment made by the management company.

You'd have no problem charging your rate because it's currently impossible to find contractor services for smaller (more profitable) projects.

@Rain City There is a dearth of qualified maintenance contractors serving strata residential in the lower mainland. Projects range from large to small, and the opportunity to access clients within a building for major renovations would be omnipresent.

Reach out to a few local strata management firms and see what opportunities are out there.
All work is budgeted up front, and invoice payment made by the management company.

You'd have no problem charging your rate because it's currently impossible to find contractor services for smaller (more profitable) projects.
Best idea! Finding a niche. I have a friend who only does small hospital and institutional restoration projects, in a different province. No easy niches but some are better than others.

YouTube is best for brand awareness, actual revenue from YouTube advertising is low compared to the effort put in, a few people do make bank but most business owners I know say it drives sales of their services or products. I’ve been on the platform for almost 10 years but just now putting in real investment. Even Mr beast makes most of his money from selling his own stuff and brand partnerships, but his own stuff like feastables drives the most revenue.

This is a great angle, and something I’m beginning to pursue for growing my electrical business. Dealing with strata’s for payment seems more direct (and more likely to get paid on time and in full) than dealing with people.

Also seems like the kind of work established contractors couldn’t be bothered with, maintenance & upkeep work can be crappy

I appreciate that my man. It's been suggested by a few guys. I really just can't see myself investing so much time and effort into what amounts to a crapshoot at best.
Not to get philosophical on you, but isn’t life itself just one big crapshoot?

I think you’d do great on YouTube. Seem like you’ve got good knowledge (fishing annd construction) and a unique personality. Maybe the niche is: videos on your boat while fishing, you’re giving a construction tutorial, then oh sh** fish on… then land the fish and carry on with the tutorial. I haven’t seen that video idea before…

Anyways, just a vote from me. I got a man-crush, I’d subscribe. Not like onlyfans level, but YouTube level 😉😆

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience, and I understand how frustrating it can be when projects fall through after putting in so much effort. However, it's great that you're considering starting a YouTube channel. YouTube can be a fantastic platform for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and expertise with a wide audience.

When it comes to creating a successful YouTube channel, it's important to understand and work with the algorithms of the platform. YouTube's algorithm is designed to recommend videos to users based on various factors, such as engagement, watch time, and relevance. To improve your chances of success, here are a few tips:

Consistent content: Regularly posting high-quality and engaging videos will help you build a loyal viewer base. Plan a schedule and stick to it, ensuring that your viewers know when to expect new content.

Optimize your videos: Pay attention to video titles, descriptions, and tags to make your videos more discoverable. Use relevant keywords that align with your content, and try to include them naturally in your title and description.

Engage with your audience: Responding to comments, asking for feedback, and interacting with your viewers can foster a sense of community around your channel. This engagement can also boost your videos' visibility in the algorithm.

Collaborate with others: Partnering with other YouTubers in your niche can expose your channel to a new audience. Consider collaborations, guest appearances, or even cross-promotion to expand your reach.

Additionally, it's crucial to keep some of your thoughts and ideas about your focus a secret until you're ready to fully develop them. This is particularly important in the competitive landscape of online content creation. While it's great to seek advice and insights, it's always wise to protect your unique ideas until you have a solid plan in place.

Remember, building a successful YouTube channel takes time and effort. Be patient, continuously learn and adapt to changes on the platform, and most importantly, stay true to your own authentic voice. Best of luck with your YouTube journey, and may it bring you the success and fulfillment you seek!

I know many YouTube content creators, and they all say the expense is in the editing and presentation post raw footage. That may be why Tik Tok and similar platforms are popular, less post raw footage work, if any, to get it out there, not so worried about a professional look.

I know many YouTube content creators, and they all say the expense is in the editing and presentation post raw footage. That may be why Tik Tok and similar platforms are popular, less post raw footage work, if any, to get it out there, not so worried about a professional look.
To my knowledge, you can’t really monetize TikTok views in Canada, so it’s more of a marketing tool than a potential passive revenue stream. Of course there is always sponsored videos, affiliate links, etc.

To my knowledge, you can’t really monetize TikTok views in Canada, so it’s more of a marketing tool than a potential passive revenue stream. Of course there is always sponsored videos, affiliate links, etc.
Yes, correct, but Tik Tok is huge with influencers, which does help their monetizing platforms.

But to get back on topic, if only briefly, is there any problem in your field (sustainable construction, custom homes) that could be addressed with a software tool? Have you ever been like “there’s gotta be an app or something for this” when doing a repetitive task that eats up a lot of time? I’m sure project management and construction-specific CRM software is fully saturated, but interested if there’s any other niche or tooling that isn’t available that you think people would pay for?

But to get back on topic, if only briefly, is there any problem in your field (sustainable construction, custom homes) that could be addressed with a software tool? Have you ever been like “there’s gotta be an app or something for this” when doing a repetitive task that eats up a lot of time? I’m sure project management and construction-specific CRM software is fully saturated, but interested if there’s any other niche or tooling that isn’t available that you think people would pay for?
Haha every lazy, opportunist, "booksmart", $hitty contractor has beaten that one to death. Apps only help big companies make more money on crappier staff by keeping them in line. Scaling a construction company only benefits the company owner, not the client. I'd be lying through my teeth if I tried to sell that snake oil to a perspective client. I want to be personally accountable to my clients with my own boots on the ground.

Haha every lazy, opportunist, "booksmart", $hitty contractor has beaten that one to death. Apps only help big companies make more money on crappier staff by keeping them in line. Scaling a construction company only benefits the company owner, not the client. I'd be lying through my teeth if I tried to sell that snake oil to a perspective client. I want to be personally accountable to my clients with my own boots on the ground.

I was thinking more B2B, that is, not selling the clients snake oil, sell the big companies a shiny object they think they need. lol

I was thinking more B2B, that is, not selling the clients snake oil, sell the big companies a shiny object they think they need. lol
I'm sure there's a market for it and I'm sure all the information in my head would make building it quite fast. If someone wants to give me half of their startup to ask me questions for a couple weeks I'd be happy to do that. AI might already be able to that for free though too

I'm sure there's a market for it and I'm sure all the information in my head would make building it quite fast. If someone wants to give me half of their startup to ask me questions for a couple weeks I'd be happy to do that. AI might already be able to that for free though too
AI can do some things to speed up boilerplate creation, but it’s not a magic wand. I think if you had a good idea and you took care of the marketing and vision, you’d be surprised at how many developers would be willing to get a minimum viable product built out. The idea is that you sell the product before it’s built, identify key features for the MVP, and then add features and add pricing packages over time, and with continued client feedback. I have a book on the way about this strategy, and I hope to employ it for my own project I am working on.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience, and I understand how frustrating it can be when projects fall through after putting in so much effort. However, it's great that you're considering starting a YouTube channel. YouTube can be a fantastic platform for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and expertise with a wide audience.

When it comes to creating a successful YouTube channel, it's important to understand and work with the algorithms of the platform. YouTube's algorithm is designed to recommend videos to users based on various factors, such as engagement, watch time, and relevance. To improve your chances of success, here are a few tips:

Consistent content: Regularly posting high-quality and engaging videos will help you build a loyal viewer base. Plan a schedule and stick to it, ensuring that your viewers know when to expect new content.

Optimize your videos: Pay attention to video titles, descriptions, and tags to make your videos more discoverable. Use relevant keywords that align with your content, and try to include them naturally in your title and description.

Engage with your audience: Responding to comments, asking for feedback, and interacting with your viewers can foster a sense of community around your channel. This engagement can also boost your videos' visibility in the algorithm.

Collaborate with others: Partnering with other YouTubers in your niche can expose your channel to a new audience. Consider collaborations, guest appearances, or even cross-promotion to expand your reach.

Additionally, it's crucial to keep some of your thoughts and ideas about your focus a secret until you're ready to fully develop them. This is particularly important in the competitive landscape of online content creation. While it's great to seek advice and insights, it's always wise to protect your unique ideas until you have a solid plan in place.

Remember, building a successful YouTube channel takes time and effort. Be patient, continuously learn and adapt to changes on the platform, and most importantly, stay true to your own authentic voice. Best of luck with your YouTube journey, and may it bring you the success and fulfillment you seek!
whats the deal with your chatgpt replies

Back