Might Be Looking For a Change

Update:

Still a jobless bum. My tools are very organized now, though lol. I'm in the middle of negotiating a contact for a new house that I don't even know that I want to take on.

Someone convince me that there's a unicorn career out there that can allow me to make my own schedule and still afford to live in this city. If anyone is looking for an experienced set of laser eyes (the left one at least), shoot me a message. I have a terrible attitude and an even worse fishing addiction that will likely cause me to lose focus. Some people say I'm likeable.

Thanks for listening.

Update:

Still a jobless bum. My tools are very organized now, though lol. I'm in the middle of negotiating a contact for a new house that I don't even know that I want to take on.

Someone convince me that there's a unicorn career out there that can allow me to make my own schedule and still afford to live in this city. If anyone is looking for an experienced set of laser eyes (the left one at least), shoot me a message. I have a terrible attitude and an even worse fishing addiction that will likely cause me to lose focus. Some people say I'm likeable.

Thanks for listening.
It’s not a new career, but a little change of scenery. I have a timber frame project (not huge) that is coming up…on gabriola. PM if you’d like to get into more details.

For what it’s worth, I would likely rival your bad attitude, but you wouldn’t get any flack showing up late cause of a good bite happening. Its also standard issue to ditch work for all fishery openings over here, at least it’s my standard

Update:

Thanks for listening.
Ron4.0?

Just gotta find yourself a remote gig so you could just slap a Starlink on the roof of the boat and attend zoom meetings between bites. lol

I’m not sure what @A-a-Ron does,
But he sure seems to be able to fuel his fishing addiction, I sure would like whatever he’s having
**mafia voice** “I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you”

Thanks for the tag I missed this thread completely. First off I should say, don’t confuse wealth with financial irresponsibility! Haha, I also pretty much never go on vacation or eat out etc etc, it all goes into my fishing addiction

I’m an electrician. Recently I’ve started on my own and just getting things rolling this past year. Been fishin so much as I took the better part of the last year off… decompress from the grind of 15yrs as a commuting employee (Pitt M to UBC daily!) Took some time off to do some home renos, fish a bit more, get my FSR & contractor license, and work a bit when I could. I also help run the family farm with my old man.

But I feel RC’s pain, as I fell like a bit of a jobless bum at times. But that’s just the nature of starting up any type of business. Obviously I’m confident in my abilities and the work will come.

On that note… shameless plug for myself: if y’all need an electrical contractor shoot me a line DM or my number is 778-228-4871. Cheers

I have heard there is a dearth of contractors on the gulf islands, especially Salt Spring. My Aunt lives there and has had a hard time finding qualified and trustworthy contractors, so most of them commute from Victoria. I actually ended up doing some metal work on someone’s gate out there last year because they couldn’t find anyone to get it done. Nobody can afford to live there, and a lot of places out there need work due to the days of sketchy builds and minimal permitting, which are gone. I’m sure there are people on this forum who can speak more about the viability of this, but I bet a guy could make a decent living as a handyman out there. If you’re commuting from off-island, people are willing or have no choice but to pay your travel time/expenses. My cousin was doing electrical work for a buddy for a while and said it was pretty profitable.

I have heard there is a dearth of contractors on the gulf islands, especially Salt Spring. My Aunt lives there and has had a hard time finding qualified and trustworthy contractors, so most of them commute from Victoria. I actually ended up doing some metal work on someone’s gate out there last year because they couldn’t find anyone to get it done. Nobody can afford to live there, and a lot of places out there need work due to the days of sketchy builds and minimal permitting, which are gone. I’m sure there are people on this forum who can speak more about the viability of this, but I bet a guy could make a decent living as a handyman out there. If you’re commuting from off-island, people are willing or have no choice but to pay your travel time/expenses. My cousin was doing electrical work for a buddy for a while and said it was pretty profitable.
We’ve had a family cabin on Mayne since before I was born… I’ve thought about it. Kids & family has kept me from pursuing it.

I’ve also heard from a few locals that it can be a quite small-town-ish, ie there’s work there, but new guy coming in is frowned upon. But I couldn’t say for sure, I’ve never really pursued that. It’s also nice to keep business and pleasure separate, I love going there to GET AWAY from work & life 😂

A former colleague in the glass business had a brother` on SSI that was non stop with work, but mostly handyman stuff, not a lot he could set up a jobsite and go to for months on end. If you are a jack of all trades, and have contractor's/handyman insurance, you would be busy there and the other gulf islands. (I kept up my contractors insurance up, and do some odd jobs locally to keep the biz taxable and to keep working with my hands....therapeutic)

Back