Might Be Looking For a Change

Speaking from my friends in construction the residential is slow, from paving driveways to putting up new gutters.

Commercial side of this tho is going strong

Not alot if margin tho and it’s the **** scope that no one wanted to deal with a year ago.

Speaking from my friends in construction the residential is slow, from paving driveways to putting up new gutters.

Commercial side of this tho is going strong

Not alot if margin tho and it’s the **** scope that no one wanted to deal with a year ago.
Lots of projects to bid on in the commercial sector but we keep getting underbid by 20%. So maybe people are making a lot of mistakes or they have way cheaper/untrained labour than we do. It’s frustrating.

Let me know when your guiding adventure begins, I can be a relief guide for you, I need an excuse to go fishing anyways

Things are slowing down in the residential construction biz but renos must still be going strong, maybe a little more time taking care of biz and a wee bit less time fishing might improve your situation, jmho.

Totally unrelated to fishing, for the most part...

So some of you follow me on Social Media and have seen that I recently lost my upcoming project. This is the 5th job in 6 years that had a signed contract, got a permit years later (thanks City of Vancouver), we revised the budget to reflect the current pricing and of course the increase in scope. And what do you know, the clients back out. In most cases they don't end up doing the job at all, but on this last one they ended up looking for a cheaper price. So this was a two year, 2.5m project that I had been gearing up for for a long time. I stopped answering the phone 2 years ago because of it. So now this puts me in a place that I haven't been for over 20 years. Nothing to do come October. I'm finishing up two amazing Net Zero projects this summer and then looking for either the next thing, or something completely different. I recently got my certification for guiding, or for using my boat in more of a commercial application. So there's that route. But neither are something I'd want to do full time. I don't have the credit or means to finance my own builds, or not without putting myself into some shady lending or partnerships. So maybe I'm looking for a change, maybe a whole new business. Maybe running someone elses business? I've considered working for PSF or something related to Salmon. I have no idea. I'd love to hear what the wise forum has to say. Or if anything else, maybe I'm just getting this all off my chest.

Thanks guys,

Jon
I had something distasteful as well.

I trusted a union, they told me they had my back. They sure did, talked me into 300 g's of new equipment and then conspired with the company to get me fired and lose everything.

The thing is I have a letter addressed to me prematurely discussing how to fire me that had the union in the address bar.

But unions own grievances and at arbitration they demonstrated "having my back" A target!

Through all discussions with myself and the company the union did all the talking on my behalf but at arbitration they only put me on the stand even though I was told the union rep was to testify. That didn't happen. They didn't even have any defence paperwork, especially that letter.

I was in trucking, evidence was produced that stated if I dispatched any of my trucks I would be fired, the arbitrator's decision was that because I didn't dispatch my trucks this was grounds for dismissal, he even included in his decision the email stating I would be fired if I did.

To add to that I was under a doctor's care for depression due to months of pressure and not supposed to be there, I even told the union this, that I should not be making any decisions. There was an offer and I told the union lawyer to take if he thought that was the right thing to do.

Because I was represented by the union I was not allowed to sue or appeal. They did the minimum required by law to represent me.

FUBAR

I had something distasteful as well.

I trusted a union, they told me they had my back. They sure did, talked me into 300 g's of new equipment and then conspired with the company to get me fired and lose everything.

The thing is I have a letter addressed to me prematurely discussing how to fire me that had the union in the address bar.

But unions own grievances and at arbitration they demonstrated "having my back" A target!

Through all discussions with myself and the company the union did all the talking on my behalf but at arbitration they only put me on the stand even though I was told the union rep was to testify. That didn't happen. They didn't even have any defence paperwork, especially that letter.

I was in trucking, evidence was produced that stated if I dispatched any of my trucks I would be fired, the arbitrator's decision was that because I didn't dispatch my trucks this was grounds for dismissal, he even included in his decision the email stating I would be fired if I did.

To add to that I was under a doctor's care for depression due to months of pressure and not supposed to be there, I even told the union this, that I should not be making any decisions. There was an offer and I told the union lawyer to take if he thought that was the right thing to do.

Because I was represented by the union I was not allowed to sue or appeal. They did the minimum required by law to represent me.

FUBAR
I also was in the trucking business for many years before my guiding career. Never seen so many dishonest people in my life

RC, one thing to keep in mind is that maybe what you need is to pivot to another aspect of the business which still can utilize your construction experience rather then a total reset of your working life. I think your work experience is a lot of EQUITY which should NOT be flushed down the drain. I went through a similar experience about 20 years ago. I was in IT Sales, but wanted out. I got some technical certifications and jumped feet first into Technical IT work. I was way ahead of almost everyone in my certification classes because I already had the equity and knowledge from over 15 years in the business. From your pasts posts it sounds to me like you still like the hands on aspect of construction. It sounds like you are fed up with the BS aspects of being responsible for putting together the business parts of the jobs, being the front end of dealing with what I consider retail customers, etc.

So many dishonest people in trucking…
Here’s my story for being forced to look for a change. I had a shop with a partner that owns a few decent sized trucking businesses, I’ve know him and his family since I was a teen, he’s got 2 kids my age running his trucking operation.Years ago I opened a truck repair shop with him, I run the shop, he financially kicks starts the shop. I hire my first few guys and start knocking door to door around my neighborhood looking for work, and build a decent customer base over the years. He ends up buying lots of land and building a facility on it, we end up moving into 3 bays of that yellow shop and at one point I’m taking care of over a dozen mechanics . At the beginning of this year, we are running the best numbers we’ve ever had, everyone is all smiles and I’m even on effin online teams meetings with his trucking crew.
He goes out of country for a couple months, the week after he leaves , out of the blue, sitting with my wife in the office,
I get an eviction notice to leave the property.
They want my business and want to force me out.
WTF
Time for plan B
I tell me wife I will meet her at home and drive down the street to my buddies office, the guy that recommended the guy that build the pod that’s crushed, and tell him what happened and ask him to lease out some of his shop and yard to me, he laughs at me and told me it was just a matter of time those guys will **** u over, and threw the keys to shop at me.
I go back to the yellow shop, take my main man and an apprentice with me and fire everyone else LoL, or make them sweep the gravel yard till they cry and quit. By Monday it was just me and a couple foreign workers left LoL. Same time I tell my customers what happened, and most of them followed me to my new shop that me and the wife are hustling to start up. I end up selling my part in the old shop, and here we are now…. I’m still one step away from having my motor vehicle inspection license which is over half my work and is another thing preventing me from completing my commander build, the boats just not a priority right now. The business is.
Kinda funny, I’m a minute down the street from him, dealing with the same customers and vendors, and everyone knows what happened, what an embarrassment and lack of integrity. Not to mention, a 25 year family relationship over….for some money

So here’s some easy trivia for ya,
What’s the fastest sinking ship in the world?

When i worked up north, everyone of the old guys working in camp had a story like that. "oh i had a tree falling business went on vacation only to come back and find the partner took the 100k out of the business and all the equipment was gone"

So many dishonest people in trucking…
Here’s my story for being forced to look for a change. I had a shop with a partner that owns a few decent sized trucking businesses, I’ve know him and his family since I was a teen, he’s got 2 kids my age running his trucking operation.Years ago I opened a truck repair shop with him, I run the shop, he financially kicks starts the shop. I hire my first few guys and start knocking door to door around my neighborhood looking for work, and build a decent customer base over the years. He ends up buying lots of land and building a facility on it, we end up moving into 3 bays of that yellow shop and at one point I’m taking care of over a dozen mechanics . At the beginning of this year, we are running the best numbers we’ve ever had, everyone is all smiles and I’m even on effin online teams meetings with his trucking crew.
He goes out of country for a couple months, the week after he leaves , out of the blue, sitting with my wife in the office,
I get an eviction notice to leave the property.
They want my business and want to force me out.
WTF
Time for plan B
I tell me wife I will meet her at home and drive down the street to my buddies office, the guy that recommended the guy that build the pod that’s crushed, and tell him what happened and ask him to lease out some of his shop and yard to me, he laughs at me and told me it was just a matter of time those guys will **** u over, and threw the keys to shop at me.
I go back to the yellow shop, take my main man and an apprentice with me and fire everyone else LoL, or make them sweep the gravel yard till they cry and quit. By Monday it was just me and a couple foreign workers left LoL. Same time I tell my customers what happened, and most of them followed me to my new shop that me and the wife are hustling to start up. I end up selling my part in the old shop, and here we are now…. I’m still one step away from having my motor vehicle inspection license which is over half my work and is another thing preventing me from completing my commander build, the boats just not a priority right now. The business is.
Kinda funny, I’m a minute down the street from him, dealing with the same customers and vendors, and everyone knows what happened, what an embarrassment and lack of integrity. Not to mention, a 25 year family relationship over….for some money

So here’s some easy trivia for ya,
What’s the fastest sinking ship in the world?
I feel for you buddy, thats a huge slap in the face. Do you have any means to lawyer up against him etc?

I feel for you buddy, thats a huge slap in the face. Do you have any means to lawyer up against him etc?
Generally no return on your investment on this angle.
Usually these family deals have no written agreements, or if they do, they are full of holes.
There is only so much time in the day and it is best spent getting and keeping your employees and clients happy.
Once you are successful in your own gig, you can burn down whatever you want and **** on somebody's grave.
(This is an internet forum and this is provided as entertainment and not actual legal advice. Legal advice may be similar with invoice attached.)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ tends to bring out the worst in people.
I deal with a lot of estates, power of attorney, executor/executrix etc. in my line of work. If you want to see a family of adult siblings fall apart, throw money into the ring. Without derailing this, asking someone to be your executor is not a badge of honour for them. It can be a very difficult position to put someone into.

I deal with a lot of estates, power of attorney, executor/executrix etc. in my line of work. If you want to see a family of adult siblings fall apart, throw money into the ring. Without derailing this, asking someone to be your executor is not a badge of honour for them. It can be a very difficult position to put someone into.
You must be a boat salesman, lol

Never ever make one child out of four your executor. Ever. Ask me how I know this ..thing is, an executor can refuse to accept executorship which few seem to understand. I got the job done but jfc some weird **** came to the surface, particularly as I'm the youngest.

Never ever make one child out of four your executor. Ever. Ask me how I know this ..thing is, an executor can refuse to accept executorship which few seem to understand. I got the job done but jfc some weird **** came to the surface, particularly as I'm the youngest.
Correct on the refusal, last will and testament usually has a provision within for this. Truly brutal in some families how it forever tears them apart. Law firms are often called upon to do this task now, as an Executor is allowed to charge the estate for their efforts, so why not just pay a neutral party. Some adult siblings are relying on their share of the estate to fund retirement, and that’s not helping to ensure a smooth, non-contentious result.

A will can't legally bind an executor to duty. It's a request only which most assume is indeed an obligation in return for costs and 1% gross proceeds. Lawyers ate typically involved to deal with probate, etc so they are involved to dissolve and distribute the assets, and may be named to executors obligations. Makes sense, impartial, have trust accounts and the experience to move quickly through process.

OK pretty sure He doesn’t want to switch careers and become an executor. Back on track?

If you stay in the Reno business or get into another business @Rain City I’d recommend you read the YouTube Formula, not to try and make money off YouTube but the power of video for business owners.

Following a new YouTube channel who lost his job during covid and does a mix of brokering boats, ferrying yachts, etc. you could get trained for free from RCMSAR

A second book I always recommend to anyone switching gears is What Color is your Parachute.

I’m always up for chatting about how to make money/re-invent yourself while waiting for the fish to bite, it’s Hali season. If the commander is operational let’s meet up in the gulf islands or take bc ferries and I can rescue you!

Back