Might Be Looking For a Change

How about purchasing an existing marina, campsite, accommodations business in Port Hardy.
Scotia Bay Resort is for sale. An older couple has built it up over the last 30 years or so. We have been going for over 20.
Includes an amazing cliff top home looking over the marina and Hardy bay.

How about purchasing an existing marina, campsite, accommodations business in Port Hardy.
Scotia Bay Resort is for sale. An older couple has built it up over the last 30 years or so. We have been going for over 20.
Not a chance the wife is leaving her folks

You're right, but I don't want to grow. And you really need 3m+ and a few jobs in the go to make that worth while. I'm done with all of that. What I'm now experiencing is the down side to one project at a time. I like building houses, not businesses.
Then maybe it’s time to get out of the single projects work and get into something more operational and continuous. The idea of HVAC sounds like a good one. You want to leverage your transferable skills and knowledge of house building and get on your footing as quickly as possible. Energy efficient building design and alternative energy usage is going to open up a lot of new avenues in the next few years. Just wait for the hydro rates to start going up and everyone would want to live in an energy efficient house. We haven’t had an electricity rate increase under the NDP government yet but it’s just the matter of time.

COV and BC is/are gonna crush builders with making everything net zero/passive house/LEED etc and push it to a point where nobody can afford to build or renovate. And mean while, we live in a very decent climate. Not too cold, not too hot. Just insulate your walls and get good windows and you’re pretty good. Vancouver pushes it to the extremes that don’t really make sense for our market. I’ve worked on so many passive house rental buildings where they need to meet some crazy U-values and yet they have 400 operable window vents that are always open because people like fresh air. The U-value goes out the window when it’s wide open. So what’s the point on spending twice as much. We recently did a passive house grocery store with automatic doors that open every 2 seconds so what does the insulation even do?

Sorry to join in on your rant. Come be a glazier whenever you want lol

Get into another sector. Residential construction is emotional quick-sand. And it's a low-margin past-time - not really a business. See an accountant and ask about businesses that are highly profitable. Prepare for a higher buy-in but follow the money. Life is too short for the "follow your dream" bullsh*t.

Wow Sandy and Sandra selling the house with it!?
Amazing view from up there!
We've stayed with them, beautiful place with those 4? bnbs on main floor
Gotta get the wife to see whats up, (they all grew up together in hardy)

Edit, hope you find what your looking for @Rain City

Last edited:
Maybe the markets changed since I did my bathroom Reno two years ago but it was near impossible to get any contractors everyone was too busy. The ones that would were 6 months + to two year wait list and it was the throw out a huge piece and if they bite will find some way to fit it in. We gave up on doing any other Reno’s largely because of it said hell with it will live with the way things are.

A friends brother in law has a foundation waterproofing business, they swimming around in cash like scrouge mcduck.

I have similar feelings as @Rain City. Just had a client walk on a project that should have lasted into November, now using up my planned fall work and settling on a new project for the fall. This stuff never ends in the residential building industry. Schedules are close to meaningless because clients, suppliers and subtrades all have their own agenda.

So I'm taking the exams and education to become a registered energy advisor. Leverages my existing industry knowledge and experience, but offers a pathway to less time spent on site and beholden to all the changes and pivots builders are expected to just suck up. Tightly focused scope instead of being expected to be responsible for and knowledgeable about every aspect of building. With the energy step code process in play, demand for energy advisors is high - and growing. I know all the local builders, so it shouldn't be hard to secure clientele. The most challenging part will be the transition period where I'm building the energy modeling business and still running the construction business. The reward for this will be freeing myself from the complexities of multiple employees, subs and suppliers.

I have similar feelings as @Rain City. Just had a client walk on a project that should have lasted into November, now using up my planned fall work and settling on a new project for the fall. This stuff never ends in the residential building industry. Schedules are close to meaningless because clients, suppliers and subtrades all have their own agenda.

So I'm taking the exams and education to become a registered energy advisor. Leverages my existing industry knowledge and experience, but offers a pathway to less time spent on site and beholden to all the changes and pivots builders are expected to just suck up. Tightly focused scope instead of being expected to be responsible for and knowledgeable about every aspect of building. With the energy step code process in play, demand for energy advisors is high - and growing. I know all the local builders, so it shouldn't be hard to secure clientele. The most challenging part will be the transition period where I'm building the energy modeling business and still running the construction business. The reward for this will be freeing myself from the complexities of multiple employees, subs and suppliers.
Need a Vancouver office?? Lol

I’m sure there room for another bald guy on HGTV renovating a resort
Funny you should say that. I was actually asked to apply with my designer. We did the whole video resume professionally. We had been in talks with several other shows before that one too. But when push came to shove, they always wanted more diversity. We were actually told by the producers that they wanted us, but were told no from the top. They advertised it for months after that trying to get someone non-white.

Funny you should say that. I was actually asked to apply with my designer. We did the whole video resume professionally. We had been in talks with several other shows before that one too. But when push came to shove, they always wanted more diversity. We were actually told by the producers that they wanted us, but were told no from the top. They advertised it for months after that trying to get someone non-white.

Lol always like that

It's a slow year for construction, I don't think you should give up. Down size your crew and charge a handsome hourly until you can rebuild to your company. Lots of guys are retiring you'll be busy.

Back